What's new

Using witch hazel question

Okay, I have heard so much about witch hazel in these forums that I decided to buy some, today. Nothing fancy, just a $2 bottle of T. N. Dickinson's at Wal-Mart. They also had a $1.38 bottle of USP witch hazel, but the one I bought seemed nicer and didn't cost very much more.

Anyway, my question is, when do you use it? Before aftershave or ASB? Instead of aftershave or ASB? :confused:

Also, how do you use it? Just a splash on the hands and then rub on the face? When I was a young teenager, my mother made me use it for acne. She had me soak a cotton ball with it and use it to scrub the oil from my face. I surely wouldn't want to do that after shaving! :w00t:

Thanks,
Tim

I use it before applying my ASB, just pour some in your hand and splash/work it onto your face. It's great stuff, I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

I just purchased a bottle of Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera and used it for the first time this morning.

It was great! :thumbup: I splashed some on and rubbed it in right after I finished my cold water rinse.

I let it sit for a while and then finished up with some Taylor's Sandalwood Balm. :c16:

I just purchased a bottle of Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera and used it for the first time this morning.

It was great! :thumbup: I splashed some on and rubbed it in right after I finished my cold water rinse.

I let it sit for a while and then finished up with some Taylor's Sandalwood Balm. :c16:

+1 Thayers is very pleasant

I always use witch hazel between the cold water splash and the balm. I put it on on a cotton ball or pad. Cleans up any left over soap or cream and the astringent tightens the skin and may help with any minor nicks.

Thanks, everyone. That is what I had figured (after rinse and before aftershave), but I wanted to make sure.

Tim

I must be in the minority, but I've tried witch hazel and it doesn't do a thing for me. Doesn't sting, doesn't feel good, and I can't tell the difference between using it and not using it.

So, I don't use it. Just another example of how mileage varies from one shaver to another.

Witch hazel is great stuff. If I could I'd drink it:smile: . I usually use it after I use the alum bar. After witch hazel you really don't need anything else.

Tonight, I shaved with Dr. Galen's shave cream as a pre-shave, then Mama Bear's Smokin' soap. When I was finished shaving, I washed my entire face with the remaining lather. Then, I used my hands to apply the T. N. Dickinson's witch hazel, generously. I finished up with Pinaud Clubman after shave.

Awesome!

Tim

Alcohol free? Where'd ya get it? I have the aloe vera "Super Hazel" but it's 20% alcohol...

Take a look at this list and click on the various types. Some are alcohol free, some are not. Those that say "astringent" have alcohol, those that say "alcohol-free" don't. :)

I use the Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe, and it is very good. Scent fades very quickly, but it really helps to soothe the skin, and keeps it moisturized all day. Think it's the aloe and e vitamins. It also doesn't have any alcohol, so no sting.
Ken

Top Bottom