What's new

Medicine Cabinet Blade Slot!

My bathroom in our 1950's ranch house has the original medicine cabinet with the slot for disposing of used razor blades. This will come in handy as I move down the DE road. I remember my Dad explaining about the slot in my childhood home when I was about 4 years old. I asked him what he would do when the wall was full of razor blades someday and he got a laugh out of that. Funny to think that in that house that all of his blades are still there at the bottom of that wall. Now I guess I'll fill the wall at this house. Anyone else have the handiness of a vintage medicine cabinet?

Yes, actually this discussion has surfaced a lot lately.
I have a house built in 1979. It's got a medicine cabinet that was likely installed much later. Based on past history, I can assume it's older than the house, maybe from a rummage sale or something. The guy cut a hole in the drywall to put it in, and didn't bother to check where the studs were. After starting the hole, realising that there was no way to center the cabinet over the sink, he decided to put it on a different wall, opposite the sink. How do I know this? I took down the oversized mirror over the sink to paint the walls and found out the only reason the oversized mirror was there was because it covered up a big ugly misshapen hole in the drywall:cursing: And that's why I have a medicine cabinet on the wrong wall.

My house is over 100 years old , the medicine cabinet was replaced in the 70's , but I am sure there are many de blades in the wall from before that one was installed!!!

The blades disintegrate to rust fairly quickly. From the wall or two I've torn down, you might not even recognize old blades now.

The blades disintegrate to rust fairly quickly. From the wall or two I've torn down, you might not even recognize old blades now.

Yea if they are 50+ years old and there is enough moisture. I have cleaned out up to a #3 wash tub of Old Razors out of Bathrooms I have remodeled over the years.

My house was built in 1961 and the medicine cab in my bedroom's bathroom has the blade slot. When I started DE shaving about 2 months ago, that's one of the first things I was looking forward to: dropping an old blade down the wall. lol! :thumbup1:

Your header doesn't indicate what area of the country you live. I live in a house built in 1964 in a very humid area of Virginia; and I can tell you that the _last_ thing we would want to do is to introduce any moisture, now matter how slight, inside the wall!

I highly recommend you use a "Blade Bank" rather than dumping your blades in the wall. Not only can it be 100% recyclable, if done properly it is a really cool addition to your shaving shelf.

Here's two pictures of the Blade Bank I made ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

There was a recent thread on making a Blade Bank. Everything from simple ones that take 5-seconds to make, on up to more creative solutions. You might want to scan the thread for pictures and ideas. It's at:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54746

Toward the end of the thread, there are also a couple pictures from someone who opened up a wall during a bathroom remodeling job that shows a pile of old razor blades.

Happy Shaving!

Following the example set above, I designed and made my own blade bank from a 4oz mushroom bits and pieces can. I don't have any pictures of the finished product but here is the wrapper I made for it. If anyone is interested in the high resolution psd file for photoshop, just let me know and I send it along to you. Anyway here is the wrapper I made, just click he pic and you can see the full resolution image. Also note that when applied properly the black band does not show and the blade slot is exactly opposite the king gillette image. Once applied, wrap entire label surface with clear packaging tape to protect the paper from moisture. Then, using a dremmel with a cutting disc cut the hole for blade insertion.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Top Bottom