What's new

Are these badger bristles or boar bristles?

I bought this new many years ago and can't remember which type of bristles they are but someone on here guessed boar and they're probably right. I thought I'd take some pictures and ask the question again.

What d'ya think?

proxy.php

proxy.php

They're likely boar. It's funny you should post that today. My mother come bye with my grandfathers old shave brush. It's the same model, and I'd say it's 30+ years old.

Hey all!

I hope you don't mind me pulling a "me too" on this thread. I've thought about doing the same thing, but just never got around to it. Below is the only brush I have ever even held in my hands, much less used. It is a C&E brush that I received as a present about 10 years ago (if I remember right...might have been more). It is labeled "Pure Bristle". Is it boar or badger? I'm not hoping either way, but since it is my only experience, it will help me as I begin to try out other brushes to know what this one is as a baseline. Thanks!

ps - how can you tell by looking?

Very Nice post considering that today is the start of the Chinese New Year.~the year is of the BOAR!

Both of the brushes are boar.

i own a vintage every ready badger brush
and on the bottom of the handle it will say
badger if it is a badger hair. :thumbup:

Ever-Ready made both bristle and badger brushes. If the brush is badger it will say so on the bottom. At least my C40 has that label.

That C&E is boar. You can tell just be apprearance, as well as that in the majority of cases, bristle usually implies boar.

The way to identify a boar with badger effect vs real badger is the abrupt coloration that is done when applying the badger effect. Also notice how the stripe is so narrow compared to a actual badger brush. You will also eventually notice how the white portion of a boar bristle is different from the white portions of badger hairs.

Don't think down on the humble boar...they may not be the most luxurious brushes out there, but they can be very good brushes. Despite having both B&B brushes (silvertip and finest silvertip), a C&E best badger, and a generic pure badger, I still use my Omega Professional boar brush from time to time (which is coincedentally the first decent brush I ever owned).

It's like a BMW vs a Mercedes vs a Lexus vs a Cadillac vs an Infiniti. All are extremely fine cars, but they each have their own merits.

Thanks for the explanation Steve.

I haven't used a badger brush before, but I've been very happy with my C&E pure bristle. It lathers well and since I'm a painter when I apply, it does application just fine.

That said, I'm intrigued by the badger thing and I've heard so much about the C&E Best badger being a fine first badger brush that I'm thinking I'll be heading over to C&E in the next few days to pick one up.

Thanks again!

Matt

Agreed, the C&E best badger is a fine brush. I advise you to get used to the higher water retention before using your best cremes though. When I made the jump from my Omega boar to the best badger, the difference in water retention surprised me.

Thanks...good to know. I went to C&E today but they didn't have any of the best badger in stock. I ordered one with a stand and replenished my sandalwood cream while I was there. Should have the brush in the next couple of weeks.

Matt

And I guess Ever Ready is still making the C40 brushes.

I saw a bunch of them on the shelf at a local grocery store this week. I was a bit surprised. But then I saw a bunch of Burma Shave brushes on the shelf at Wal-Mart and was equally surprised.

And I guess Ever Ready is still making the C40 brushes.

I saw a bunch of them on the shelf at a local grocery store this week. I was a bit surprised. But then I saw a bunch of Burma Shave brushes on the shelf at Wal-Mart and was equally surprised.

I saw an Ever-ready a few days ago in a mom n' pop pharmacy (you gotta stop at those and take a look..) Looks identical to a Burma, except *maybe* the hairs were longer. And.. The Ever-ready was about $10 while the Burmas are usually around $5-$6.

They're both made by ASR.

I would guess at this stage that they're probably the same brush.

http://www.westburyonline.com/Ever-Ready-Shaving-Brush-1-Each-P4252.aspx

Top Bottom