What's new

How can I tell if my razor is truely shave ready?

About a month ago I started looking at the site and thinking "I think I wanna try this" I bought a few DE's off of ebay and had a nice 6 hr Brasso session with them and made them look nice again, but I was really just waiting on my straight to show up.

Well now the day has come. This http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390183266716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT just showed up at the house. Now sadly my strop has not shown up yet, and I am sure it will, but since it has not then I decided to read more in the newbie forum.

I was reading a great article that was warning us not to go crazy on the first razor and assume it's shave ready. Now I may not have paid $150 for my first blade, but I would assume this isn't a total crap blade. Let me get opinions here (I need them).

Other than "shaving" is there a way to tell if this blade is honed already? I placed it gently on my arm and the weight of the blade cut 2-3 hairs already... Being a completely newbie I don't know but would assume that it's pretty damn sharp, but again I am turning to the experts!!

any other suggestions I'm all ears on :001_smile

Let me know and I'll let you know how many times I have to use my steptic pencil :001_tt2:

Welcome to B&B!
Great score on the razor. You saved at least $20 on the price you would have paid elsewhere. Take that $20 and send your razor to SRD or Vintage Blades LLC and have it professionally honed. Or, plenty of guys here will hone it for you too for a comparable fee or even free if you pay for the shipping. Do you have a strop? You will need one. I have the same razor but with black scales and I can tell you it is a great razor. It might be shave ready. Start by doing the hanging hair test (HHT) and running your thumb tip along the blade, gently!, and you will either feel it want to bite or it will not. If is feels like it wants to bite go ahead and try a shave. The hanging hair test is not 100% conclusive, but will give you an idea of how sharp it is. Check out Joel's section on straight shaving and watch some videos so you have a good idea of what you are doing. Problem is, if it is shave ready, and you get a decent shave (considering that it is your first time), you will want to strop it before using it again. Take your time, use good prep, use a good lather, light pressure and 30 degree angle, and stretch your skin. Best of luck! Keep us updated on how it turns out.

Btw, post in the general straight razor talk section and you will get more specific feedback.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If this is a brand new blade as the ad mentions, I'm 99.9% sure it's not shave ready. When the blade comes out of the Dovo shop, they say, it's sharp but not enough for you to use it. A honemeister will need to do a few touch ups on it.

Factory sharp is actually dull as a spoon. The various hair tests are hit and miss, the only real test is a shave, but I'd get it honed first regardless.

Impossibly-good price for a new blade, I've no idea how your seller was able to get that blade new and pay for the auction site's listing/final value fees and money-accepting-service fees without losing $ so good for you!

I think the factory edge would be capable of a (bad) shave, but it is fairly easy to fix in any case. How's it shave your arm hair if properly stretched? Clean cutting of all in front of it, or pulling and skipping over? Before sending it out or taking a hone to it yourself, give it a good stropping, as in even the worst case scenario you're still left with a blade that you'll send away.

Impossibly-good price for a new blade, I've no idea how your seller was able to get that blade new and pay for the auction site's listing/final value fees and money-accepting-service fees without losing $ so good for you!

I think the factory edge would be capable of a (bad) shave, but it is fairly easy to fix in any case. How's it shave your arm hair if properly stretched? Clean cutting of all in front of it, or pulling and skipping over? Before sending it out or taking a hone to it yourself, give it a good stropping, as in even the worst case scenario you're still left with a blade that you'll send away.

I gave it about 40-50 passes on the strop. ( I only have youtube videos and what I have read to guide me ) I am sure only that if it is "NOT" ready that I do not want to put it on my face and possibly have a bad experience my first time out. I'm tempted at this point to send it off, it's just never a fun feeling to have everything waiting on your first "shave" just to realize it may be another month before you get to do it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I gave it about 40-50 passes on the strop. ( I only have youtube videos and what I have read to guide me ) I am sure only that if it is "NOT" ready that I do not want to put it on my face and possibly have a bad experience my first time out. I'm tempted at this point to send it off, it's just never a fun feeling to have everything waiting on your first "shave" just to realize it may be another month before you get to do it.

You could always try to shave some hair off your arm or leg. Think where you will do it first as it might take a while to grow back!

Normally, you should have a clear patch if it's shave ready but I doubt it is.

Also, do not expect a great shave with the shave ready straight. There's a learning curve!

Top Bottom