What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind wanting to own a stainless steel razor
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind threadcrapping either. If you're not interested in the Feather then why click on a thread on it, read it, and post (multiple posts in some cases)?

Who said any of this (wet shaving, DE's, etc) was all about reason?

And "worth" is always highly subjective -- no matter what the topic. I can appreciate that people don't think the Feather is worth the cost. For any product out there you'll find people that don't think it's worth the cost. I just don't see how posting "It's not worth it to me" it adds to the discussion unless it's a first hand review with details on why the reviewer felt it was not worthwhile. That would be meaningful. It would allow readers to at least see if their needs/wants are in line with the reviewer's and if the reviewer's comments resonate with the reader.

Last edited:
S

siouxsie

+1

Functionally, a plated brass, and or stainless steel razor are identical. I honestly don't understand the huge attraction to stainless steel razors.

You are aware that Pureslab is a no longer a member of this forum?? His membership is forbidden here.

I was not aware technically but given his behavior, I am not surprised. It was a tongue in cheek comment...facetious...not sure the right word.

More technical fun for your amusement...:biggrin1:

I measured the blade gap of my Feather Portable and (perhaps) not surprisingly, its gap measured about the same as the new Feather: my .025" [.63mm] gage fit comfortably. Have yet to shave with it but will soon.

More technical fun for your amusement...:biggrin1:

I measured the blade gap of my Feather Portable and (perhaps) not surprisingly, its gap measured about the same as the new Feather: my .025" [.63mm] gage fit comfortably. Have yet to shave with it but will soon.

Thanks Bill for doing the lab work!

So I guess for those who don't think this new Feather is worth it, a Feather Portable head on a heavier handle should give a comparable shave. I do not find the combination Feather Portable head + Feather blade mild at all. I'm currently using the combo and a Merkur 1904 handle until I find the courage to splurge on the new Feather.

It would be interesting to put the Portable head on the new Feather handle and see how the combo shaves. Hint, hint, Bill ...

Last edited:
Stainless vs plated brass:

How often do we see razors for sale that the plating has worn through? How long does that process take? 10, 20, 40 years?

With a stainless razor, your grandson will be shaving with the same shiny, awesome razor as you enjoyed. And probobly his grandson as well!

Functionally stainless and plated brass may be similar. They are simply a bar and head by which to hold a blade against your skin. But stainless is certainly a harder metal than brass, and as such, more resistant to deformation if say the razor were dropped, etc.

I haven't used a DE in almost two years, but that razor is certainly catching my eye!

H

hathela

Hello Gentlemen,

I have used the new Feather Stainless several times now. I can say for sure that it is less aggressive than Futur (set at 1 or 2) and thus even with super-sharp Feather blades I avoid cuts and feel very safe and confident. It is balanced perfectly, does not slip and feels 'right' in one's hand.

I am very happy with the new Feather Stainless.

hows the grip and blade replacement...

H

hathela

can someone verify this ..
i read about this razor on a different website and it says

"One of the most important features of this razor is the significantly smaller gap between the blade and safety bar. Unlike the Merkur, the Feather requires a different cutting angle. The blade angle on the cutting head of the Feather All Stainless encourages the razor to be against the skin at a much more dramatic angle. Instead of holding the razor at about a 30° angle, I angled the razor at about 45° so that the blade made smoother contact with the skin. "

does this really make any differences..
old habits die hard

S

siouxsie

"One of the most important features of this razor is the significantly smaller gap between the blade and safety bar. Unlike the Merkur, the Feather requires a different cutting angle. The blade angle on the cutting head of the Feather All Stainless encourages the razor to be against the skin at a much more dramatic angle. Instead of holding the razor at about a 30° angle, I angled the razor at about 45° so that the blade made smoother contact with the skin. "

old habits die hard

Many of us do this with regular DE razors anyway after we learn it with the 30 degree angle. It seems to cut better with less irritation. It does take practice.

old habits die hard

I haven't found myself adjusting the razor's angle at all although in fairness, this could be occuring naturally.
I also wouldn't consider its blade gap to be smaller than the Merkur - seems about the same per the wiki.

Last edited:
Stainless vs plated brass:

How often do we see razors for sale that the plating has worn through? How long does that process take? 10, 20, 40 years?

With a stainless razor, your grandson will be shaving with the same shiny, awesome razor as you enjoyed. And probobly his grandson as well!

Functionally stainless and plated brass may be similar. They are simply a bar and head by which to hold a blade against your skin. But stainless is certainly a harder metal than brass, and as such, more resistant to deformation if say the razor were dropped, etc.

I haven't used a DE in almost two years, but that razor is certainly catching my eye!

In defense of plated brass, the nickel plating on Gillette razors is very thin as these weren't expensive items.
Actually it probably cost more to produce a plated brass razor then one made from stainless steel
brass and stainless steel bar stock cost about the same price.
I spend more money on plating cost then I do on the brass bar stock.
Modern CNC turning station will produce parts just as fast, whether they are brass or stainless.
Smith&Wesson pioneered the use of stainless steel in their handguns in the 70s.
There are a lot more small parts in a firearm then there are in a 3 piece razor.
We aren't talking about making part for the Space Shuttle here.

In defense of plated brass, the nickel plating on Gillette razors is very thin as these weren't expensive items.
Actually it probably cost more to produce a plated brass razor then one made from stainless steel
Modern CNC turning station will produce parts just as fast, whether they are brass or stainless.
There are a lot more small parts in a firearm then there are in a 3 piece razor.

McGuyver could use the handle of a stainless Feather to repair the oscillator overthruster on the Space Shuttle if he had to though......

You are right to a certain extend Bob but there is something I cannot see from this side of my screen and that has all to do with production numbers. The Gillettes went out by the millions and besides, at a low price point because it was all about selling the blades. They were made at a time where DE was THE tool and losses on razors were easily compensated by selling more overpriced blades (actually the same trick as they use till this day).

I am pretty sure that Feather doesn't use the same percentage on this razor as Gillette uses on their cartridges. Especially when casted parts are involved the production output makes the price tag. I think it is a lot of money for a razor given the alternatives but at the same time I understand a beefy price tag for a specialty item in a niche market.

Just my 2 cts.

I think it's a lovely razor. It may find it's way onto either my birthday or Christmas wishlist... which at this point is almost entirely comprised of shaving paraphernalia.

This is all very odd....

I'm not a millionaire, but I can generally afford what I deem I want. When I really don't want something, or don't care one way or the other about it, I find that there are objects I cannot afford.
At the moment, I am enamored with the straight razor, but God only knows what lies around the next bend in the road, so I won't give up my DE razors. And I find this new Feather so compelling that I'll probably order one, and maybe a stainless iKon also.... Just because i can...

If I never use them, my heirs can put it all on e-bay... along with all my other worldly possessions...

Look for it.... it could be any time now...

King of Kailua said:
I advise you not to purchase this razor. I'm with Suzuki, there is simply no justification for the price gouge. Wouldn't you be more satisfied spending your dough for a LE B&B wristwatch then for an overpriced tech knock off?

Ok I'll share
=>It's a 3 piece stainless copy of a tech that cost close to 200 bucks.<=

Probably a nice razor worth picking up if it were half the cost OR if you just want to throw your money around. I'd assume (making an arse out of me possibly) that it's not a limited run collectors item. I wonder how many are being produced?

In my limited experience from the quiver of my collection, I've gotten the best shave from one modestly priced razor that I always return to (it shall remain nameless because ..ahem..YMMV's) but my point is I like a razor that does a good job, is a tool, and needs no fluff or fancy do-dahs to be marketed to me. I guess what irks me slightly about this offering from Feather is that they've taken a design that is iconic to me as a simple, basic, and elegant design, and placed a premium luxury price tag on it. Go ahead and buy one if money is no object for you and enjoy it, and review it. I'll pass on it though.

[Aside] I'll save my it's-only-money sensibilities for outrigger canoes. I just dropped more coin on an oc-1 than the truck that will carry it to the beach. [/Aside] :out:

At the same time, not everyone here can afford to live in Hawaii. I'm sure most of us would like to, though. You have Hawaii, they have a stainless steel razor. Priorities and perspective - both vary. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
PS I'm always among the first to poke fun at the near-geek level at which many of us (myself included!) dive into the niggling, pettifogging details and obscure mythology of razordom. That's what that absurd Amulite post was a couple pages back. However, I never, EVER judge anyone for what they want to pay for whatever item, and never will. Ain't my place. Nor will I judge what a manufacturer wants to charge for an item he produces. If I think the price is insane but someone else is willing to pay it, then that IS what it's worth. TO HIM. :001_smile

Last edited:
S

siouxsie

PS I'm always among the first to poke fun at the near-geek level at which many of us (myself included!) dive into the niggling, pettifogging details and obscure mythology of razordom. That's what that absurd Amulite post was a couple pages back. However, I never, EVER judge anyone on what they want to pay for whatever item, and never will. Ain't my place. :001_smile

I took it for exactly that and nothing more. Thought it was hilarious actually and spot on. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom