What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

S

siouxsie

I appreciate that, Scott, and thank you for it...I just didn't want to be thought of as inconsistent. :thumbup1:

PS I did not write it, though...wish I did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o&feature=player_embedded

That's what I thought...I didn't know what amulite was so I had to google it and there was some similar post making fun of knife or sword collectors...I forget.

Still good though.

"It's not cheap, but I'm sure the government will buy it." LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I did read that review yesterday. I was hoping to read more reviews, as I can't trust just one person's judgement, as I want a more general consensus from those who have used it.

One more on the way, Gabe - my Wednesday project. General sentiments already shared but I've now completed six shaves to be able to provide a little more detailed impression.

I've read through this thread and I agree that $150 is a lot for a razor, but I can't help but factor in that it is a new razor in a nice case.

I've been spending some good coin on getting pristine old razors in the correct case with the correct blade holders. So back in the day when Gillette was pumping out the love, would we be discussing how over priced that gold plated, cased Aristocrat is?

How many of these feathers do you suppose are going to be manufactured? 1 million, 10 million?

Man, how nice it would be for some manufacture to start up a line of razors, making improvements, different variations, price points, embellishments...

If I had the bucks, I'd buy two. Put one in the vault and shave with the other. Pass it on to my next of kin.

I would buy one for sure, but I got some more Gillette filling in to do. I really need to get a cased NEW Deluxe, silver or gold. Ahem.

Oh and damn. I want to own one of each of the Schick G series. Right after that, ...

-jim

I've been spending some good coin on getting pristine old razors in the correct case with the correct blade holders. So back in the day when Gillette was pumping out the love, would we be discussing how over priced that gold plated, cased Aristocrat is?

^ Y'know that's a good point. Quite obvious but I never thought of it until you mentioned it.

So back in the day when Gillette was pumping out the love, would we be discussing how over priced that gold plated, cased Aristocrat is?

Depends on how you want to look at it. In 1950, for example, the Christmas gift sets were priced thusly:

Super Speed -- $1.98
Aristocrat -- $5.00
Executive -- $10.00

It’s not much difference dollar-wise, but the aristocrat cost about 250% more than the Super Speed, and the Executive about 500%.

Looking at today’s razors, an Edwin Jagger DE89 will cost about $32, which is a pretty big difference dollar-wise to the cost of the Feather stainless, but is the same 500% difference as the Super Speed and Executive. Of course this percentage is even less if you use the Merkur Barber Pole or Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razors for the comparison.

So, it all ends up being pretty relative, and in retrospect, I recant my earlier comment about the cost. My only true concern is how the razor shaves, as I don’t care for mild razors at all. If someone said it shaves like a NEW De Luxe or a 1946-47 Aristocrat, I’d probably be all over it.

I've read through this thread and I agree that $150 is a lot for a razor, but I can't help but factor in that it is a new razor in a nice case.

I've been spending some good coin on getting pristine old razors in the correct case with the correct blade holders.

$150 is a bit of coin for a razor yes , but who like me has been watching Fatboys on eBay sell for $200 ?

This Stainless Feather is part of the new generation of "shaving tools" seems some manufacturers have stepped up their game with the quality of materials used.

$150 is a bit of coin for a razor yes , but who like me has been watching Fatboys on eBay sell for $200 ?

This Stainless Feather is part of the new generation of "shaving tools" seems some manufacturers have stepped up their game with the quality of materials used.

Check out the prices for straights.

Great review! I just might sell off some of my excess Super Speeds and pick one up. Like I said previously, it would be the first high end new razor and case I would have bought since I was a teenager buying my first gillette (which wasn't high end) - a 1972 black handled slim adjustable.

-jim

Very nice review!

It's good to know that you find it smoother than the Portable. I've had 3 shaves so far with a Portable head + Feather blade and find the combo a little rough. Maybe the more aggressive head requires a milder blade, the Feather blade works very well for me in a DE89L.

One quick comment regarding "Ease of Blade Replacement: Only a TTO is easier. No surprises." - a 2-piece design such as an HD is also easier. A 3-piece design requires extra care. Personally I don't mind, I just care about the shave quality.

Very nice review!

It's good to know that you find it smoother than the Portable. I've had 3 shaves so far with a Portable head + Feather blade and find the combo a little rough. Maybe the more aggressive head requires a milder blade, the Feather blade works very well for me in a DE89L.

One quick comment regarding "Ease of Blade Replacement: Only a TTO is easier. No surprises." - a 2-piece design such as an HD is also easier. A 3-piece design requires extra care. Personally I don't mind, I just care about the shave quality.

Good point, Tim! I hadn't even considered two-piece razors. And I guess since so many of us are accustomed to three-piece razors, it's hardly an issue.

This is the only thing I'll say on the matter.
Stainless Steel and Brass are comparable in price depending on the alloy.
With modern CNC machinery and manufacturing it is no more costly to work with stainless steel then it is with brass.
Would you pay $150 for a plated brass 3 piece razor?

Not to mention the fact that MIM and investment casting are CHEAP. That's why companies like Ruger use them. Much cheaper than machining from bar stock.
Plus, not all stainless alloys are particularly hard of tough. The 300 series of non heat treatable alloys tend to be soft and gummy.

Not slamming this razor at all. I'd love to have one. I just don't have the disposable cash for one right now.

Not to mention the fact that MIM and investment casting are CHEAP. That's why companies like Ruger use them. Much cheaper than machining from bar stock.
Plus, not all stainless alloys are particularly hard of tough. The 300 series of non heat treatable alloys tend to be soft and gummy.

Not slamming this razor at all. I'd love to have one. I just don't have the disposable cash for one right now.

But in the case of Ruger, I don't think cheap meant poor quality. I used to own an M77 and I remember it being pretty high quality and affordable. Investment casting means that there is a whole lot less machining. I really don't know if investment casting itself is of poorer quality then "bar stock".

(not sure why I felt compelled to defend a gun manufacture for a rifle I owned 30 years ago...)

-jim

Top Bottom