What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

I advise you not to purchase this razor. I'm with Suzuki, there is simply no justification for the price gouge. Wouldn't you be more satisfied spending your dough for a LE B&B wristwatch then for an overpriced tech knock off?

King, sounds like you must have shaved with this razor. Looking forward to your thoughts.

H

hathela

I advise you not to purchase this razor. I'm with Suzuki, there is simply no justification for the price gouge. Wouldn't you be more satisfied spending your dough for a LE B&B wristwatch then for an overpriced tech knock off?

i agree with you. the price is just too much

Looks as though it's either investment cast or MIM (metal injection molding). The top of the bottom plate looks to have been trued up on a surface grinder.
I don't have $160.00 to drop on it. Too bad, as I'd like to have one.
Guess I'll just have to make do with all my old Gillettes, Gems, Injectors, and my new EJ DE87.:thumbup:

Price gouge? Interesting, you must have access to Feather's books. Mind sharing their margin as well as R&D and production costs with us? Since you know how much Feather has into this razor, it would be kind of you to share the inside information you have.

Price gouge? Interesting, you must have access to Feather's books. Mind sharing their margin as well as R&D and production costs with us? Since you know how much Feather has into this razor, it would be kind of you to share the inside information you have.

This is the only thing I'll say on the matter.
Stainless Steel and Brass are comparable in price depending on the alloy.
With modern CNC machinery and manufacturing it is no more costly to work with stainless steel then it is with brass.
Would you pay $150 for a plated brass 3 piece razor?

With modern CNC machinery and manufacturing it is no more costly to work with stainless steel then it is with brass.

only from you Bob ! :thumbup:

S

siouxsie

I am a little surprised we haven't heard (on THIS forum) from PureSlab about the Feather All Stainless. :001_rolle

Received my Feather yesterday (7 days from order to delivery to Oz including a weekend!) and have shaved with my Feather twice since. So far, I'm really impressed as well.

Build quality of the razor is exquisite with even gaps all round, solid heft and an overall feel of absolute quality. A big tick so far.

Fitted with a Feather Platinum blade (and some trepidation), the first few strokes are smooth yet extremely effective with no irritation or pulling. Closeness? Like other reviews, no problem whatsoever.

As opined by another reviewer - "smooth and foolproof" without any surprises. I can see this becoming my "go to" razor.

This is a quality razor that will provide it's owners with years of faithful service. Anyone could do worse than to have one of these in their collection.

Simply awesome!

Ok I'll share
=>It's a 3 piece stainless copy of a tech that cost close to 200 bucks.<=

Probably a nice razor worth picking up if it were half the cost OR if you just want to throw your money around. I'd assume (making an arse out of me possibly) that it's not a limited run collectors item. I wonder how many are being produced?

In my limited experience from the quiver of my collection, I've gotten the best shave from one modestly priced razor that I always return to (it shall remain nameless because ..ahem..YMMV's) but my point is I like a razor that does a good job, is a tool, and needs no fluff or fancy do-dahs to be marketed to me. I guess what irks me slightly about this offering from Feather is that they've taken a design that is iconic to me as a simple, basic, and elegant design, and placed a premium luxury price tag on it. Go ahead and buy one if money is no object for you and enjoy it, and review it. I'll pass on it though.

[Aside] I'll save my it's-only-money sensibilities for outrigger canoes. I just dropped more coin on an oc-1 than the truck that will carry it to the beach. [/Aside] :out:

I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind wanting to own a stainless steel razor other than it being a fad item. I’ve seen mention of people wanting a “durable” razor, but most of us are using vintage Gillette razors that have various types of plating over a brass frame, and other than the gold models that were plated directly over the brass, they still look and work great at 50-100 years old. How much more durable does anybody need?

$160 for a late 40’s rhodium plated British Aristocrat that is in vastly limited quantities? Absolutely. $160 for a reshaped piece of stainless flatware that will be produced in the millions? Don’t think so.

+1

Functionally, a plated brass, and or stainless steel razor are identical. I honestly don't understand the huge attraction to stainless steel razors.

I am a little surprised we haven't heard (on THIS forum) from PureSlab about the Feather All Stainless. :001_rolle

You are aware that Pureslab is a no longer a member of this forum?? His membership is forbidden here.

I think it's comical how many of us get worked up about an item being over priced (often without ever using it) but routinely accept $150 to be fair for a mid-level brush, vintage razor (with plating loss) or a few pucks of new/vintage shaving soap. Outside our little community, we'd all be labeled nuts!

Me? I like nice design, beautiful materials and precision manufacturing - all wrapped up in little tools that happen to shave whiskers. I apply this standard to vintage and new alike.

Have fun! :biggrin1:

Just because some one either can't afford or won't afford one of these superb razors doesn't make them a waste of money.

Different people value different things.

Just because some one either can't afford or won't afford one of these superb razors doesn't make them a waste of money.

Different people value different things.

+1.

Some people pay $250 for a rather unremarkable moderate-to-small sized ballpoint pen (Montblanc) that doesn't write any better than a 25-cent Bic.

I say if the Montblanc brings them pleasure they can't get out the Bic, and they have the income to afford it, they should definitely get the Montblanc.

I think it's comical how many of us get worked up about an item being over priced (often without ever using it) but routinely accept $150 to be fair for a mid-level brush, vintage razor (with plating loss) or a few pucks of new/vintage shaving soap. Outside our little community, we'd all be labeled nuts!

Me? I like nice design, beautiful materials and precision manufacturing - all wrapped up in little tools that happen to shave whiskers. I apply this standard to vintage and new alike.

Have fun! :biggrin1:

Having fun is big part of it. I am a sucker of design and manufacturing.

I have two of your razors. I could have easily paid $100 for them each. I enjoy them just as much as my other higher priced razor. I could see myself getting silly and buying plated brass for $150 if it appealed to my self interest. Then again I also know there is a bunch that would argue: Why use a Bull Mastiff handle and a replated New head when you could get a Merkur open comb for almost half? Why... because it's awesome.

We do some absolutely silly things, and not all related to shaving :thumbup:

Wasting money is spending $150 (if you're "lucky") on 2 pucks of Pen EF tallow that are gone in 6 months, not on a piece of fine hardware that will provide enjoyment to and outlast a few generations of men.

I think it's comical how many of us get worked up about an item being over priced (often without ever using it):

Tex, that is the armchair warrior syndrome and it seems to afflict quite a few folks here.

Glad to read some of the hands on review of this fine looking instrument that I guess will never need plating like that $150 brass version mentioned.

Top Bottom