What's new

New Feather All Stainless Safety Razor

Amazingly fast delivery from the primary US vendor. It came yesterday (I think I ordered Tuesday evening). I loaded a Feather blade and went to work. It is new, different, unfamiliar...I applied more pressure than needed, and ended up with a little irritation. Tomorrow I will use a Shark SS, my favorite.

Compared to my HD this razor's balance is different, the head is larger, the handle longer...this will take some getting used to, but it is a keeper. It is vaguely similar to the Futur on one.

It is so smooth that shaving with it is deceiving. I will do a review in a week or so after some experimentation. My initial advice...if you don't normally use Feather blades, use your customary blade.

Your experiance sounds similar to mine. Yesterday on its first shave, I got a nice close shave, but I also put a bit more pressure than I should. Today, I used a very light touch, but I think my angle of attack was still a bit wrong. I ended up missing a couple of spots on my neck that used to give me trouble with my Mekur HD until I found the right angle.

I'm going to spend a bit of time tomorrow checking my angle and really figuring out this beautiful razor. I remember spending a similar amount of effort when I was trying to get comfortable with the Merkur, so this is expected. I still think it feels really smooth and comfortable, so I think the effort will be quite worthwhile.

I'm going to spend a bit of time tomorrow checking my angle and really figuring out this beautiful razor. I remember spending a similar amount of effort when I was trying to get comfortable with the Merkur, so this is expected. I still think it feels really smooth and comfortable, so I think the effort will be quite worthwhile.

This is the right approach. I was lucky that I noticed I had to adjust the angle just a tiny bit after the first couple of strokes and it was very close to what I was used to anyway. Haven't looked back since. Great razor. I'm not saying it is THE razor for everyone, but you can only reach the conclusion you don't like it after you tried it with a few blades and played with the angle and pressure a bit.

Day #2 with a Shark SS blade. Night & day.

I did much better having feedback from the Shark blade. The Feather blade is so incredibly sharp that I get no feedback. Yesterday, I didn't have a clue. I was in the dark, so to speak. With tactile and auditory clues from the Shark I was able to better adjust to the angle and pressure issues with this razor.

The wider head on the Feather razor (compared to the HD) will require a technique change going XTG in the neck area. However, I got BBS results just doing WTG and ATG.

The size, weight, and balance peculiarities that were obvious yesterday were less apparent. In a week or two it will be second nature. My brain stem will adapt long before my neocortex gets it.

This razor is different, maybe revolutionary. It is without doubt a beautiful instrument.

Thanks for the pictures Bill and for the objective look and comparison among razors. This post is now three months old. I'm using a Futur, Fatboy, and Fat Handle pre-WWII Techs and thinking about buying a Feather. In your opinion is it better than the others and worth the buck and a half? Doug

I have the Feather due this week and looking forward to the razor and shave.
All the comments sound positive, so I am really excited to try out the new tool!

In your opinion is it better than the others and worth the buck and a half? Doug

Doug, in a word: yes. The Feather is not cheap but I've been impressed how easily and smoothly it shaves. I usually use more "aggressive" razors (Gillette NEW, NEW Deluxe, #15...) and love the feel of those great razors. However, the Feather might be the best everyday razor I've ever used. It simply gets the job done and for me, seems incapable of irritation or accidents. Oh yes, YMMV, but it's a solid buy and will probably outlast all of us. Good luck!

This is the right approach. I was lucky that I noticed I had to adjust the angle just a tiny bit after the first couple of strokes and it was very close to what I was used to anyway. Haven't looked back since. Great razor. I'm not saying it is THE razor for everyone, but you can only reach the conclusion you don't like it after you tried it with a few blades and played with the angle and pressure a bit.
I realized I should return to follow up on my experience after making adjustments. :)

My adjustment period turned out to be very short. Once I paid better attention to the angle the Feather required, it worked extremely well without any irritation. As others have said, it does the job without making you feel like you are doing anything. It just glides along. I'm enjoying this razor very much.

I realized I should return to follow up on my experience after making adjustments. :)

My adjustment period turned out to be very short. Once I paid better attention to the angle the Feather required, it worked extremely well without any irritation. As others have said, it does the job without making you feel like you are doing anything. It just glides along. I'm enjoying this razor very much.

:thumbup:

By way of an update...

My adjustment curve was not steep. A month into daily (and sometimes more often) shaves I am enjoying the closest, smoothest shaves of my life. Zero irritation. None, nada, nil. AGT, XTG on my upper lip (gingerly), chin, neck...no problems. I have tried a variety of blades with pretty much the same results. I see no real reason to continue to experiment with blades when I can get BBS with a Shark SS, if I want to spend the time.

I have abandoned my razor rotation. This is such a precise instrument I have lost interest in the other razors.

A very generous gentleman, member of these forums, to remain anonymous, lent me his PILS and Cobra Classic razors.

I did not have a good experience with the Cobra, I found it to be a rough razor.

The PILS was a different story, very nice, comfortable shaves. I enjoy the way the PILS sings, you can clearly hear it hard at work, if you don't hear it, adjust your angle.

However, I concluded that I very much prefer the weight, balance and grip of my Feather razor.

I am very grateful for having the opportunity to try the 2 fine razors above because it is now clear to me I made a good decision buying a Feather razor, which I enjoy very much.

I can safely call the Feather a RAD killer, at least for the near future :w00t:

By way of an update...

My adjustment curve was not steep. A month into daily (and sometimes more often) shaves I am enjoying the closest, smoothest shaves of my life. Zero irritation. None, nada, nil. AGT, XTG on my upper lip (gingerly), chin, neck...no problems. I have tried a variety of blades with pretty much the same results. I see no real reason to continue to experiment with blades when I can get BBS with a Shark SS, if I want to spend the time.

I have abandoned my razor rotation. This is such a precise instrument I have lost interest in the other razors.

I would have to agree with this post. I have tried many razors over the years and this is the best. That being said, I am still very curious and anxious to try the PILS razor. The Feather is the best I have used. There is no blade gaps, discrepancies of any sort. This is one fine razor.

Top Bottom