What's new

Buying a strop

Do you need to spend a lot on a strop? I'm about to buy my first proper straight, but I'm not too sure about strops. There are some on ebay for under £10, will that be good enough?

Strops can be as inexpensive as the ones you mention and on up to $150 or more for fancy handled loom strops. So long as the leather is supple and not dry and brittle you should be fine for a starter. Make sure you ask the seller. There is alot of debate (forever) on the need and use of linen, but the main thing is the leather. Tony Miller of Wellshavedgentleman has strops, Keith at HandAmerican has awesome strops, ClassicShaving has strops and VintageBlades has strops. Shop around and check out all the prices and styles.

Have fun.

Lynn

Tony's strops are superb, I've just put an order in for my second, a #1 BEST 3" hanging strop. Normally these come with a free practice strop which is of very nice quality leather but without the fancy metal hardware. If you want the practice strop (as I don't need it) you're welcome to have it free of charge if you pay the postage.

Let me know, it could be a week or two until it arrives as Tony is pretty busy right now.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Of all the things one can purchase in the world of shaving, the strop is perhaps the easiest to buy- simply get a Tony Miller strop. From his cheapest to his top of the line, all are top notch products that represent the best value going.

I'd pay particular attention to the advice given by that young whippersnapper, Lynn. He may appear, based upon his B&B post count, to be a "rookie", but he is, in fact, perhaps the most knowledgeable straight razor expert extant. :thumbup:

I also need to buy a strop, and I wish to buy the best necessary for the job. What I mean is I want a strop what will do the best possible job, without paying for fancy decoration. Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks, Ken.
Who needs to re-read the primer on razor strops, and pastes.
Mark me as frugal, not cheap.

I also need to buy a strop, and I wish to buy the best necessary for the job. What I mean is I want a strop what will do the best possible job, without paying for fancy decoration. Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks, Ken.
Who needs to re-read the primer on razor strops, and pastes.
Mark me as frugal, not cheap.

Probably this one http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=32&categoryId=2

Though I haven't tried the others Lynn mentions, I hear they're very good also.

Thanks steelforge I'd be very interested in that, thanks very much.

No problemo, drop me a PM with your address and I'll send it when it arrives. As I said it could be a couple of weeks before I get it yet.

Btw I'm sure I dealt with you once before, either buying or selling something, but my memory is like a goldfishes! :redface:

Iwan

Certainly the mentioned sources can sell you a great strop as can classic shaving. If your not in a hurry you can watch Eboy. You can often times get NOS Strops that are in super condition and very high quality for little money.

Top Bottom