What's new

Where to buy supplies in Kansas City?

Hello all:biggrin1:, I'm new to this site, but have been using a DE&brush for a couple of years. Anyway I'm trying to locate a local store to buy supplies, soaps, creams etc...Any one here from this area know of any places to shop? I've been to Diebel's Sportsmens Gallery, some nice pieces but pricey and pretty limited on variety. Any place that sells Proraso?

Its amazing how slippery this slope is...shaving that is.

Thanks for any input.
billy

I'm in the same boat as you. Bath & Body Works at Oak Park Mall has C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream in a tube. I use that when I need to pick up something locally.

If you ever need blades, I have a TON of Gillette Platinums (Russian version). I'm also going to get a straight shave this week at The Den Barbershop in Mission (5908 Woodson). I believe they sell some shave products as well. Their website is www.thedenbarbershop-kc.com

Thanks misterrachel I appreciate it. Ya I went to bath & body all they had were the aerosol cans of C.O. B shaving cream, they were out of stock on the tubes. I'll have to check out The Den...makes me wonder if any smaller barbershops would stock anything? mmmm i'll have to snoop around.

I'll let you know if I find anything, keep me in the loop as well, please.

I might take you up on some of the blades.

thanks
take it easy
billy

Billy. Try the L'occtiane store on the Plaza. Here are the particulars. At least this is listed on the national website. Their edts are superb and run about $45 per 100ml bottle.

L'OCCITANE - Kansas City
Country Club Plaza
511 Nichols Road
KANSAS CITY, MO 64112
Tel. : 816-256-8144
Opening Hours
Monday - Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm

Right down the street to the south of O'Dowd's Little Dublin pub is Pinstripes. The last I knew they sold the Truefitt and Hill shave creams. Pricey but local. The Hall's department store at the East end of the plaza carries Creed fragrances but they have a hefty price tag. Over in Lawrence there is Au Marche and they have a bit of L'occtane and other Franco soaps.

Regards, Todd

There is a Crabtree & Evelyn (C&E) in Oak Park Mall as well. Whole Foods on 119th just East of Metcalf will have Thayers Witch Hazel. Obviously CVS for Clubman products as well as Sally's Beauty Salon in Olathe just East of Mur-Len on Santa Fe. I bought my Barbicide jar & barbacide there. I have heard there are products sold in Bed, Bath & Beyond but have not checked them out to confirm it. There is a BB&B on 119th East of Metcalf as well IIRC. Nordstroms in Oak Park Mall sells Art of Shaving on the lower level in the men's section. If you're into tobacco i.e. cigars and pipe check out the store called Cigar & Tabac on Metcalf around 103rd St IIRC. It sits behind an Indian restaurant. Quite an awesome place with good atmosphere. Another member here and I exchanged notes about this very subject. He commented that there is an Indian grocery store at Quivera and 119th that sells alum blocks for $0.99. Good luck and let us know.

And by the way, does anyone know if anyone in our area sells safety razors such as Merkurs? That would be awesome!

ETA: Just checked out Diebel's Sportsmens Gallery online. Wow. How is their supply of razors?

Last edited:
Thanks misterrachel I appreciate it. Ya I went to bath & body all they had were the aerosol cans of C.O. B shaving cream, they were out of stock on the tubes. I'll have to check out The Den...makes me wonder if any smaller barbershops would stock anything? mmmm i'll have to snoop around.

I'll let you know if I find anything, keep me in the loop as well, please.

I might take you up on some of the blades.

thanks
take it easy
billy

You know there are 2 Bath & Body Works in Oak Park Mall right? On on each floor. The upper floor is nearest JC Penny while the one on the lower floor is near Dilliards.

Good point, I should have been more specific. I find the tubes in the one on the lower level. I think it's near Nordstrom's, not Dillards though.

You know there are 2 Bath & Body Works in Oak Park Mall right? On on each floor. The upper floor is nearest JC Penny while the one on the lower floor is near Dilliards.

There is a Crabtree & Evelyn (C&E) in Oak Park Mall as well. Whole Foods on 119th just East of Metcalf will have Thayers Witch Hazel. Obviously CVS for Clubman products as well as Sally's Beauty Salon in Olathe just East of Mur-Len on Santa Fe. I bought my Barbicide jar & barbacide there. I have heard there are products sold in Bed, Bath & Beyond but have not checked them out to confirm it. There is a BB&B on 119th East of Metcalf as well IIRC. Nordstroms in Oak Park Mall sells Art of Shaving on the lower level in the men's section. If you're into tobacco i.e. cigars and pipe check out the store called Cigar & Tabac on Metcalf around 103rd St IIRC. It sits behind an Indian restaurant. Quite an awesome place with good atmosphere. Another member here and I exchanged notes about this very subject. He commented that there is an Indian grocery store at Quivera and 119th that sells alum blocks for $0.99. Good luck and let us know.

And by the way, does anyone know if anyone in our area sells safety razors such as Merkurs? That would be awesome!

ETA: Just checked out Diebel's Sportsmens Gallery online. Wow. How is their supply of razors?

I have a Merkur HD that's seen very little action if you're interested. Let me know and I'll get it into a Barbacide bath for you.

The Bed, Bath & Beyond at 119th & Metcalf has quite a bit of items for the wetshaver. Diebel's razor selection is usually a Merkur 23c and a satin Futur and a couple of straight razors and all are a bit overpriced. They also carry Col. Conk soaps and Muhle brushes and creams.

I have a Merkur HD that's seen very little action if you're interested. Let me know and I'll get it into a Barbacide bath for you.

That is very considerate of you. I may take you up on your offer. I'm in the process of re-visiting some of my less than used razors to determine what I like and don't like. Logic is telling me if the razor won't be a go-to razor then sell it while the historian in me is saying keep it as I may never find another one again. Decisions decisions. :cursing:

The Bed, Bath & Beyond at 119th & Metcalf has quite a bit of items for the wetshaver. Diebel's razor selection is usually a Merkur 23c and a satin Futur and a couple of straight razors and all are a bit overpriced. They also carry Col. Conk soaps and Muhle brushes and creams.

It's funny the last time I was in there was in my pre-wetshaving days. I'm going to have to go there one of these days. Not sure my wallet (or as of late SWMBO :scared: can take it).

Thanks for all the recommendations, I've come up empty on finding a local source for some Proraso, no big deal I just stocked up on line. I'll swing buy Diebels this weekend and pick up some E Jagger cream, and some stogies :thumbsup:

I'll keep posting with what I find around the area.

cheers
billy

BTW, I was at Oak Park tonight and asked them about Prorasso tubes. The lady said that they should be back in stock soon. She also mentioned that they are getting an entirely new line of shaving products in soon.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I've come up empty on finding a local source for some Proraso, no big deal I just stocked up on line. I'll swing buy Diebels this weekend and pick up some E Jagger cream, and some stogies :thumbsup:

I'll keep posting with what I find around the area.

cheers
billy

I went to Ulta Beauty Supply in Olathe today, (119th & Blackbob). They had a selection of department store brands, Jack Black, Anthony, Clinique, Lab Series and several others. They had a large assortment of colognes as well. Its an alternative to heading to the mall. They had one brush by Men-U tiny thing @ 20 $.

I'm still on the prowl and will keep updating.

billy:thumbup1:

Thanks to Owen for linking me to this thread! It's really great to see some other wet shavers here in KC! Anyone here into straights? I just started them myself and was wondering if anyone in the area was pretty familiar with honing and the like...

-Cheers,
Mike

Not a problem. A BIG thanks goes to akabilly who got this thread started. Good reference post for those of us in this area to update and refer back to.

I'm sticking with DE for now. I was going to start trying out straights, but with two little kids running around, I decided it was safer to stick with DE blades for the moment (I can hide them out of reach much more easily).

Yeah it is cool to see that KC is well represented! Now if we could just get some decent Brick & Mortar shave shops around here!

Thanks to Owen for linking me to this thread! It's really great to see some other wet shavers here in KC! Anyone here into straights? I just started them myself and was wondering if anyone in the area was pretty familiar with honing and the like...

-Cheers,
Mike

Hey guys,

Went to Bed Bath and Beyond today 119th & Metcalf, seems they've added a section for shampoos, soaps, deodorant, etc...its been a while since I've been to this store so it may not be so new. Along with the Nivea, Neutrogena, and some of the more common brands they carry some Gillette DE blades - Inoxydable (made in Russia) and Wilkinson DE blades. VDH soap and brush kits with the green bowl. Clubman aftershaves, along with huge bottles of 4711, that look like lime Gatorade.

My wife gets these 20% off coupons for these stores in the mail all the time so i figured one could get some items at a pretty good price.

Have a good weekend.
cheers :001_smile

I was there on Wednesday. A couple observations:

1. the Veg hates me
  2. the VDH sets sold there have been broken into 2 sets-the brush alone and the bowl with soap
  3. I bought a pack of each blade-Gillette & Wilkinson, the Gillette is....rough. Have not tried tho other yet
  4. YMMV but I thought the 4711 (that IS the biggest tester I've ever seen) smelled like aloe vera
  5. I loved every minute of being there!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom