What's new

Shavepocalypse

So this morning I was finishing up my shave with a Wilkinson shave stick and I thought, "I should buy a case of these sticks in case they stop making them." You know, impending shavepocalypse and what not. But then I realized how many "first shave" newbies show up on the board every day. With all these shaving converts switching to DE's every day, some of these companies have to be showing an increase in sales over the last few years. So my question then is, do you guys think that we are on the precipice of a shavepocalypse or a shaving renaissance? I would love to think that it's a shaving renaissance - just not so big that prices go up (although we've started to see that with eBay fatboys).

I would like to think we are on the brink of a renaissance but then again it is not as though there is a deluge of new members every day, it is more like a trickle. So to be on the safe side, stock up on the stuff you do not want to be without, learn str8 shaving in case these stop making DE/SE blades and hope for the best.

Eventually everyone will go to using straight razors.:blink:

I've been thinking that there will always be products out there, but will they be the ones that we like? I'd be sad if I could only get Williams Mug soap in the future. That stuff and I do not get along.

Well, I'm not sure about a 'renaissance' but certainly there is a sizeable and stable group that uses wetshaving techniques. In addition, much of the rest of the world uses more traditional techniques and gear; they will do so for years to come.

Best way to get to a renaissance is preparing for shavepocalypse. That's kind of saying "If you want peace, prepare for war". IMO both equally wrong and right at the same time.

Interesting, I'm a relative newb and I already have a sense of hoarding. If I end up getting into the Yale program I applied for and end up back in CT, I'll probably buy out our local NC Indian supply of alum and Godrej

I'm not gonna worry about hoarding Feathers, since they tear up so many faces, and leave grown men screaming for mercy; I know there will always be more around for the relative few of us who can stand 'em.:sneaky2:

I'm not gonna worry about hoarding Feathers, since they tear up so many faces, and leave grown men screaming for mercy; I know there will always be more around for the relative few of us who can stand 'em.:sneaky2:

Good! So you buy the Feather's, I'll keep buying the Astra's!

On a side note, where does one buy Wilkinson shave sticks? I've seen the bowls a couple of places but never the sticks. Also, how do they compare to Palmolive or Arko? Might have to grab a couple when I find them.

Well, I'm not sure about a 'renaissance' but certainly there is a sizeable and stable group that uses wetshaving techniques. In addition, much of the rest of the world uses more traditional techniques and gear; they will do so for years to come.

+1 Well said.

But I wouldn't disagree with those who say there's nothing wrong with hoarding a shaving product you love and then boobytrapping the stash (just in case).

On a side note, where does one buy Wilkinson shave sticks? I've seen the bowls a couple of places but never the sticks. Also, how do they compare to Palmolive or Arko? Might have to grab a couple when I find them.

superlather.com has them. They are IMHO way better than palmolive or arko! Wait...on second thought...superlather doesn't have them...and they suck!:lol:

Top Bottom