What's new

Do most of you use leather or metal watch bands?

Personally, I have never been able to wear a metal (link) watch band. They always pinch my arm hairs.

So, whenever I'm looking for a new watch, particularly in a store, it cuts down the selection by 90%, since very few (if any) watches with metal bands allow you to switch them out for leather (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I was told many years ago), and the selection of non-metal bands is nearly non-existent. I know you can get many watches with leather bands online, but it would be nice to be able to actually see and try one out.

Do most of your have no problem with metal bands, making me a minority here, which is why the watch-makers don't put more leather banded product out there?

Jeff in Boston

you just have to power through and let the metal band pinch out all the hair on your wrist. then you're good to go! :001_tt2:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I prefer Leather myself. I like the scent of leather and feeling. I already have a piece of metal touching my skin (watch) so, I'm good!

I like leather for lots of things, but not watch bands. I work in a wet environment, though. The leather bands get pretty gross quickly.

Thanks to what I've seen on this forum I decided to get a nylon NATO band for a new watch, since I have big wrists and the original band was a marginal fit anyhow.

The NATO style has the benefit of getting the watch back off of the skin as well. I like the looks (for this particular watch anyhow) and I think it will work well for me.

I find the proclivity to pluck wrist hairs varies with different bracelets. I have a couple on my Seiko watches that don't bother me at all.

- Chris

I like both actually.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.
Leather is nice and comfortable but does not like water or sweat.
Metal can be worn in all seasons and is elegant sport and elegant. Some can pinch hairs but it usually is due to a poor quality or a wrong design. For instance the "Oyster" like band don't pinch hair at all.

It also depends on the watch. IMO, some watches are nicer with a leather band, other with a metal band, YMMV !

There are also nylon or rubber bands for a very "sporty" style, which I am not very fond of.

I prefer the weight of metal. For me, only the elastic-type metal bands pull hairs and I stay away from those. The normal bands don't give me any trouble.

From the sounds of all these hair-pinching accusations, most of you folks clearly haven't gotten properly obsessed with shaving... :lol:

for years I wore leather, but now I only wear metal.

With metal I can remove links and it is a custom fit.

With leather, no matter how expensive the watch, is still a one-size-fits-all, which cheapens the watch IMHO

I use both. Some watches just look better with a leather band. This is particularly true with a vintage watch IMHO. Others, of course, look better with a metal band.

for years I wore leather, but now I only wear metal.

With metal I can remove links and it is a custom fit.

With leather, no matter how expensive the watch, is still a one-size-fits-all, which cheapens the watch IMHO

My leather bands have multiple holes! :smile:

Leather. Although, I suppose if I lived somewhere that was wet year round or had a job in which I dealt with lots of moisture, I might switch to metal.

I think leather is more versatile when it comes to clothing than metal is.

I like both. I have as hairy wrists as any, and I have no problem with pinching. In fact I occasionally wear a link bracelet on my other wrist too.

I wear all kinds of straps depending on the watch.

Don't blame metal for pinching wrist hairs. There are many out there that simply don't do that. In most cases you can swap out leather for metal. It may not have a custom look to it but it will work.

Top Bottom