What's new

Looking for Barber Shop in CT

R

ravenstormcloudy

Hello all,

I am looking for a barber shop in CT where someone can get an old fashioned straight razor shave.

My father is dying of cancer and only has a few months left. This is something he has been talking about for the last year. I thought it would be a nice memory for my husband, my dad, my brother & brother-in-law to all go and get a shave together. His birthday is in 2 weeks and i wanted to set something up soon.

I found two places in CT, one in Hartford & one in Greenwich but both have cigar rooms too. My father is on Oxygen and can not be around smoke at all!

We live in Middletown, so anywhere near here or the Waterbury area would be great.

I appreciate everyone's help to fulfill my dad's dying wish. Thank you!

I can speak for Generations in Greenwich, not the one on Boulder Ave. (both give great cuts, but I've been shaved only at the non-Boulder location). Just in case it matters, these are actually "shavette"-type shaves, not a true straight razor (which are disallowed by health code, iirc). I'm sorry to hear the bad health news and hope everything works out for the best.

IIRC, "traditions" (or somethng like that) on Greenwich Ave. in Greenwich also gives 'straigh' shaves, but I have no experience with them.

edit: I'm thinking though, there's gotta be some shop closer to you than Greenwich. Have you searched out New Haven-area or Hartford?

Last edited:
At Gentlemen's Best in Southington, at least for a while, Ray (the owner) was advertising straight razor shaves on Saturday Mornings. Not sure if this still is the case. I got this info from a connecticut news spot from the website. Ray is a moderator on the boards here under the name thirdeye... He's a really nice guy and very helpful, I recommend his shop whether or not you end up going for a shave. It's a great spot.

I've been getting my hair cut at the same place in CT for 10 years. I asked them if I could get a straight shave there. I was told that you can't get a true straight shave from a barber in Connecticut. Due to health regulations they have to use the disposable type of razor.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Funny you mention this...About a year ago I went with a friend to a barber near New Haven and I waited in the chair for him to get his hair cut. The barber said "who's next?" well, I didn't need a haircut and he wasn't busy so I said "why not a shave?" He told me that I would need a miracle to find a barber anywhere who still gives a shave. It is still on his "Boar's head deli meat sign" list of services for $5...probobly hasn't been updated in 20 years. I didn't know it was a law though, just thought he meant it didn't happen anymore/outdated... now I know

I've been getting my hair cut at the same place in CT for 10 years. I asked them if I could get a straight shave there. I was told that you can't get a true straight shave from a barber in Connecticut. Due to health regulations they have to use the disposable type of razor.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Not true...The issue is this, You need to either use a disposable such as a Feather or you need to have one razor for each customer for that day. You then need to have the proper equipment for sterilization which gets pricey.
The one thing that can no longer be used in the State of Connecticut is a brush for lathering. You can only use a hot lather machine unless each customer has their own brush and soap.
Towels must be cleaned and sterilized by a licensed cleaner and must be stored/heated in a UV sterilizer.
The other regulations such the temperature of water etc apply.
And let's not forget the cost of licensing and insurances....
Most shops do not want to pay the costs. The price of a shave is pretty steep to cover said costs.

Not true...The issue is this, You need to either use a disposable such as a Feather or you need to have one razor for each customer for that day. You then need to have the proper equipment for sterilization which gets pricey.
The one thing that can no longer be used in the State of Connecticut is a brush for lathering. You can only use a hot lather machine unless each customer has their own brush and soap.
Towels must be cleaned and sterilized by a licensed cleaner and must be stored/heated in a UV sterilizer.
The other regulations such the temperature of water etc apply.
And let's not forget the cost of licensing and insurances....
Most shops do not want to pay the costs. The price of a shave is pretty steep to cover said costs.

Ray would know, so what he said. Just to clarify, by a "feather" razor he means a "shavette"-type... it looks a lot like a regular straight razor, but the blade edge is a snapped-in-half DE blade (or similar purpose-made blade) which is then replaceable (and therefore sterile) for each customer.

Ray would know, so what he said. Just to clarify, by a "feather" razor he means a "shavette"-type... it looks a lot like a regular straight razor, but the blade edge is a snapped-in-half DE blade (or similar purpose-made blade) which is then replaceable (and therefore sterile) for each customer.

No sir, not the cheap plastic Shavette. Feather makes a couple very nice razors that look just like a str8 and if you didn't know you would not be able to tell. The ones I have cost over 200.00
The blades are longer than the snap type.

Hello all,

I am looking for a barber shop in CT where someone can get an old fashioned straight razor shave.

My father is dying of cancer and only has a few months left. This is something he has been talking about for the last year. I thought it would be a nice memory for my husband, my dad, my brother & brother-in-law to all go and get a shave together. His birthday is in 2 weeks and i wanted to set something up soon.

I found two places in CT, one in Hartford & one in Greenwich but both have cigar rooms too. My father is on Oxygen and can not be around smoke at all!

We live in Middletown, so anywhere near here or the Waterbury area would be great.

I appreciate everyone's help to fulfill my dad's dying wish. Thank you!

As there are a few of you having it done, perhaps you could ask for an evening slot with just you? They might be receptive because of the circumstances.... that way the rooms wouldn't be in use then.

Tom

No sir, not the cheap plastic Shavette. Feather makes a couple very nice razors that look just like a str8 and if you didn't know you would not be able to tell. The ones I have cost over 200.00

And give a lovely shave, I used mine this morning :D

Ah, I didn't know there was such a beast. Thanks for the correction.

what if i brought in my own razor think that would work ? mabey someone in ct could lend a razor for this good cause ? id lend mine but it not shave ready .
anyone know what ray used to shave with ?

Top Bottom