What's new

How to destroy a vintage brush

1. Bid way to high on a butterscotch with a visable defect in the patina.
2. Be pretty sure the flaw will buff out.
(It didn't)
3. Don't pay close attention while sawing off the knot with your band saw.
(I knicked the top of the brush handle with the saw blade.)
4. Remove remainder of knot with a Forstner bit on the drill press.
(Be sure to curse at your misfortune.)(Use double sided carpet tape to secure handle to smooth piece of wood.
clamp wood to drill press table)
5. While I could have lived with a defect in the patina, a quarter inch gouge
in the handle, I could not abide.
6. Place brush handle on an arbor. chuck in drill press and remove
butterscotch patina with sandpaper and steel wool.
(mutter to yourself about removing fourty or fifty years of charactor. Be
sure to whimper a bit every few minutes.)
7. After removing patina inspect brush handle. Decide there are small traces
of butterscotch left in the finish.
8. Think of a way to remove last traces of history. (Bleach Bath!)
9. Think of a way to remove the ungodly Turnip red purple color that
celuloid turns after being dipped in bleach.
10. See step 6. Replace the word "butterscotch" with "ungodly red Purple".
11. Buff handle with wax.
12. Glue one UK 20mm Super Badger Fan Knot in Handle.
13. Smile because it didn't turn out too bad.

Don't beat yourself up, in another 40-50 years it will look just as good as it did before you messed it up!:thumbup: Seriously though, it looks great and I bet it will be a pleasure to use. Don't sweat the small stuff!!

I actually got this brush as a go between for the brushes to the right and left.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I actually got this brush as a go between for the brushes to the right and left.
Thanks for the encouragement.

If anyone recognises the brush on the left let me know. The one in the middle was a Made Rite 750, Before partial destruction and resurection.
The one on the left is a Simpson 135.
The brush on the left was redone when I had cataracts in both eyes and I didn't notice the name on it before polishing. All that remains of the name is "AS and possibly a T" and "Badger" under that.
Terry

Nice work. How much more difficult would the process be without access to a drill press?

I have heard other people say they have used hand held drills. That might be a little risky though. If you have access to a Dremel tool that will work.

Nice job on the brush. They all can't look vintage! I was wondering a good way to hold the brush on the drill press. Not being patient enough for my own good, I just grabbed the handle in left hand and fed a 1/2" metal drill bit through the hair knot with the drill press. I knew it was a gamble if it caught it would destroy the handle and part of my body. Got away with it that time. I'll try your method next time!
I enjoyed your write up, had me chuckling.
Russ

I don't think I'll use the band saw to sever the hair though...:scared:

Great restoration story, I laughed at a few bits. We've all been there where we think, "I'll just try this out, I'm sure it will be fine." And then later cursing at myself for being such an idiot :lol:

The brush looks really good! Nice work!

Nice job on the brush. They all can't look vintage! I was wondering a good way to hold the brush on the drill press. Not being patient enough for my own good, I just grabbed the handle in left hand and fed a 1/2" metal drill bit through the hair knot with the drill press. I knew it was a gamble if it caught it would destroy the handle and part of my body. Got away with it that time. I'll try your method next time!
I enjoyed your write up, had me chuckling.
Russ

I don't think I'll use the band saw to sever the hair though...:scared:

Thanks Mitts, The double sided carpet tape works really well. The first time I drilled out a brush handle I used my drill press vise. I had to wrap the brush handle with a few layers of masking tape to prevent marring. The vise was so heavy and hard to place accurately dead center of the Forstner bit, I thought, there must be an easier way.
With the use of double sided carpet tape on a smooth piece of plywood a brush handle can simply be sat on the tape. My drill press has a moveable affixed clamp similar to a pair of ViseGrip pliars which once positioned under the drill bit the clamp can be thrown closed to quickly secured. I usually will drill slowly and stop to measure the depth by unclamping, knocking the debris out, measure then reclamp.
Even with a 25mm Forsner bit the brush handle will not spin under the rotational force of the bit. The brush which I posted a picture of was drilled with a 3/4 inch bit, which is right at 19mm. The rest of the material was removed with a small drum sander on a Dremel tool, to achieve a total diameter of 20mm.
Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Terry

Top Bottom