What's new

Gem/Ever-Ready 1912 vs 1924

About a month ago I found an Ever-Ready 1924 at an antique store for cheap, so I picked it up. After getting some blades at Walgreens, I fired it up. A veritable bloodbath ensued. It was the most painful, irritating shave I'd ever had. Even a badly stropped straight razor had worked better. A few weeks ago though, I picked up a 1912 on ebay, and finally worked up the courage to try it last night. It was a completely different experience! It was a close, comfortable, and fun shave, with very little irritation and no cuts. I'm amazed that two razors that seem so similar can, in practice, be so different. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've used the 1924 and am wary of it....even more so than the Micromatic. The 1912 is workable and gives a better shave than the later G-bar and Contour.

Chris, maybe for you. You use the SE all the time. But for me, an occasional SE user it's a yes, well maybe not bloody but the 1924 is more aggressive for me. The 1912 is very smooth. I guess YMMV.

Len

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, and to be sure, I wasn't answering your reply. I was answering the original question er, succinctly. :smile:

I have 2 1924s and both work fine. However, one, when I got it, had an uneven blade gap due to the guard being bent down at one end. I was able to bend it back by hand, but if I hadn't noticed it, it could have been a problem. If you're tearing yourself up, look for some defect like this.

Top Bottom