What's new

Gillette Adj - Need Help

I am a newbee with a Gillette SS Adjustable and I am having a real difficult time figuring out the adjustment and slicing and dicing in the process. I can't seem to figure out how to systematically figure out which setting is right for me or is it the blade match (using Wilkinson). Any help would be greatly appreciated by my now hamburger face!

I'm sure more experienced guys will have good advise too but.... My understanding is that 1 is the midlest and 9 is the most aggressive. Start with 1 and work your way up. Apply no pressure, use only the weight of the razor. You might also post your pre-shave routine so people can see if there are areas there which can be improved.

I am not using an SS, but I did many years ago, hope to acquire one soon. I am using a Merkur Progress which is adjustable, so I will share my thoughts based on my Merkur experience. You should start at 1 for the couple of passes, and if you have good results, maybe, just maybe, turn it up to 2 for the final pass.

One of the tips I picked up from the Mantic (Mark) videos is that while it may seem counter-intuitive to start at a mild setting, and then go to a higher one, it works best that way, if you think of shaving as a series of beard reductions rather than eliminations.

Now that I have a few blades that work very well for me, I always start on 1 for the first pass, turn it up 1/2 turn for the second pass, and another 1/2 turn to 2 for the third and final pass, all WTG.

You should keep it at 1 for a week or so, and focus on angle and pressure, and then the next week, set it on 2 for the final pass. That's what I did and the results were a game changer. It also made me focus more on basic technique, which I now believe is the secret of DE shaving.

This is why newbies shouldn't use adjustables.

Just set it on 3 and leave it there. You have enough to worry about with blades, lather, pressure, angle, etc right now without switching setting too. Maybe in a few months you can start playing around with it, but right now you need to minimize your variables.

This is why newbies shouldn't use adjustables.

Just set it on 3 and leave it there. You have enough to worry about with blades, lather, pressure, angle, etc right now without switching setting too. Maybe in a few months you can start playing around with it, but right now you need to minimize your variables.

+2 Completely agree with this statement. But may say leave it a 2 instead of 3. shave at one setting til you can get a flawless shave, meaning close enough to be suitable and no cuts or nicks, or excessive razor burn. Once you can do this then I would say go up to a new setting if you wish and try that. I used a parker 22 r for a while i would say atleast 18 shaves, then i tried atg with it, shaved a few times, now i shave with a slim. I am able to use it at 9 straight down 7 against and the 9 on my final down pass, with an excellent shave resulting, what you need to remember is that everyone is different, you may never be able to crank it to 9, to each his own, everyone is different.

Thanks for all the awesome advise. My preshave routine is shower and then proraso pre/post cream followed by poraso soap. I wondered if getting an adjustable was a good idea for a newbee, but I thought I could choose a less aggressive setting that would give me a good shave and be a good place to begin. Just what does the adjustment actually effect on the blade? And should I switch to a fixed razor?

The adjustment pulls the blade guard in and out - higher numbers mean more blade exposure, leading to both closer cutting and greater risk of harm. If you can overcome your natural guy-ness and stop yourself from fiddling with it every day, you have a good razor to learn on!

The adjustment pulls the blade guard in and out - higher numbers mean more blade exposure, leading to both closer cutting and greater risk of harm. If you can overcome your natural guy-ness and stop yourself from fiddling with it every day, you have a good razor to learn on!

YES +10 its a great amazing razor. And he is right if you can keep yourself from fiddling with it, then keep shaving with it. btw make sure you make your adjustments with the gates open on the head.

Yes and don't let anyone else fiddle with it I almost cut my throat this morning. "Someone":cursing: had looked at my razor and set it all the way up without me knowing it. Have been treating the burn all day.:thumbdown

Thanks for that info. I did not know that the gates were supposed to be open for adjustment.

Yes, I didnt know either,when i first started using my slim. But i have been told by the good folks of B&B that you need to or you could break the mechanism, that works the adjustment.

Top Bottom