What's new

TOBS Shave Stick?

I recently got my first shave stick: Palmolive. I'm enjoying it and was planning to use it especially when I travel. I recently noticed that TOBS sells a couple versions of their shave stick.

Any reviews on this? Do they work as well as Palmolive? Worth buying?

Thanks.

I have both TOBS sticks; St. James & Sandalwood. Performance is ok. Lather is nice but nowhere near as nice as tallow based sticks. Personally I wouldn't choose them over a good tallow based stick.

I have both TOBS sticks; St. James & Sandalwood. Performance is ok. Lather is nice but nowhere near as nice as tallow based sticks. Personally I wouldn't choose them over a good tallow based stick.

Thanks. If the cheaper sticks work better, obviously I would prefer not to buy the TOBS sticks.

While we're on the subject of tallow based sticks, what would you guys suggest? I was looking into Valobra, and any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Speick, Palmolive and La Toja are my favorites. I like Valobra but haven't used it enough to move it to the favorites box.

I have TOBS Sandalwood and St. James sticks, and I have just tried an Ogallala Bay Rum with peppercorns stick and like that much better than the TOBS sticks. The Ogallala feels like a richer lather, works up nice and easy and has a nice scent as well.

While we're on the subject of tallow based sticks, what would you guys suggest? I was looking into Valobra, and any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Valobra is fantastic!!

Others are Speick, Tabac, Irisch Moos, Palmolive, Arko and Erasmic who have recently reintroduced tallow into the shave sticks.

Valobra is one of the finest shaving soaps, period. As others have noted, they make the highly regarded Art of Shaving and Czech and Speake lines.

The scent is soapy, the performance is stellar.

I recently used the Arko shaving stick. It was actually my first experience using a shave stick, and it was absolutely amazing! I was beyond pleased at the amount of lather I got out of it. I'd recommend giving it a go, and now I'll have to try and get my hands on a stick of Speick, and Palmolive it sounds like...as well as some Valobra. Ah well, too much to try...

Speick is my great. Erasmic, tallow first, is also a great shave stick as is the Wilkison Sword shave stick. It contains tallow, lanolin, and glycerin and the scent reminds me of TOBS Mr. Taylor.

Top Bottom