Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Proraso is definitely causing ingrown hairs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    124

    Default Proraso is definitely causing ingrown hairs

    I had posted awhile back if others were getting ingrown hairs with proraso (soap) usage. For the last little while I've been carefully watching my skin reaction based on different soap and cream usage. Sure enough on three different occasions, when my neck has been clear, I switch to Proraso and the next day I feel a tiny bump - the start of a nasty ingrown.

    Within two or three days from that I get one or two MASSIVE ingrown hairs. For whatever reason the soap is not giving me sufficient slickness I suppose. I used a variety of other products during my experiment (two types of KMF, Wilkinson sword soap, Nivea cream, Body Shop cream and Omega cream) and all those resulted in zero problems. I know there is alot of love for this product but I'm just describing my problem with it. I personally enjoy the soap alot but can no longer use it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    37,102

    Default

    There must be an ingredient in the Proraso soap that might now agree with you...

    You could try to make superlather with it or compare the ingredients with what works to try and find the faulty dot!
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    612
    Images
    2

    Default

    I,as a huge fan of Proraso, hate to hear that. In my former life of shaving with multi-blade cartridge razors and canned goo, I suffered from ingrown hairs on my neck. Proraso was my first cream and the ingrowns went away and have never come back.

    But, every great product doesn't, for whatever reason, work for everybody. The good news is, there are plenty of absolutely fantastic options!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rome, ITALY
    Posts
    14,551
    Images
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMoJoe View Post
    I,as a huge fan of Proraso, hate to hear that. In my former life of shaving with multi-blade cartridge razors and canned goo, I suffered from ingrown hairs on my neck. Proraso was my first cream and the ingrowns went away and have never come back.

    But, every great product doesn't, for whatever reason, work for everybody. The good news is, there are plenty of absolutely fantastic options!
    I am a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE fan of Proraso, too.
    And I necessarily have to agree with MrMoJoe.
    Sorry to hear this wonderful product did not work for you.
    As about me, Proraso gives me so great shaves that I do consider it a true Italian marvel.
    Marco, Old School Wet Shaver

    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum

    My Wiki - Brotherhood of Barber Scents (BOBS)

    "Because a real Gentleman shaves, every morning" (My grandfather)



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,185
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celishave View Post
    I had posted awhile back if others were getting ingrown hairs with proraso (soap) usage. For the last little while I've been carefully watching my skin reaction based on different soap and cream usage. Sure enough on three different occasions, when my neck has been clear, I switch to Proraso and the next day I feel a tiny bump - the start of a nasty ingrown.

    Within two or three days from that I get one or two MASSIVE ingrown hairs. For whatever reason the soap is not giving me sufficient slickness I suppose. I used a variety of other products during my experiment (two types of KMF, Wilkinson sword soap, Nivea cream, Body Shop cream and Omega cream) and all those resulted in zero problems. I know there is alot of love for this product but I'm just describing my problem with it. I personally enjoy the soap alot but can no longer use it.
    There is no single product that will be the bee's knees for everyone. I am not a Proraso fan, but that is beside the point. If it doesn't work for you then quit using it. I had to quit using Cade shave soap because it made my face breakout in red blotches while nearly everyone else around here loves it.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    294

    Default

    I find creams are so much better than soaps for ingrown hair issues.
    Jared, Futur, Slant, Gems, Cold water, Preshave oil, Proraso cream, Shavemac 301, alum, baby oil or coconut oil.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Charm City, MD
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celishave View Post
    I used a variety of other products during my experiment (two types of KMF, Wilkinson sword soap, Nivea cream, Body Shop cream and Omega cream) and all those resulted in zero problems.
    But isn't Omega just repackaged Proraso?
    Anthony | twitter: @dashingmaverick | 3017: Tabac, Park Avenue Classic, GFT Oxford Blue

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,185
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashmaverick View Post
    But isn't Omega just repackaged Proraso?
    Oh absolutely not. While they may be cousins, the Omega is sooo much better, unless you are allergic to lanolin.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    124
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashmaverick View Post
    But isn't Omega just repackaged Proraso?
    It's pretty darn close at least. For me, I had no issues with Omega cream. I think I much prefer cream as I get a much better lather.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sewickley, PA
    Posts
    807
    Images
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celishave View Post
    I used a variety of other products during my experiment (two types of KMF, Wilkinson sword soap, Nivea cream, Body Shop cream and Omega cream) and all those resulted in zero problems. I know there is alot of love for this product but I'm just describing my problem with it. I personally enjoy the soap alot but can no longer use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSaw View Post
    Oh absolutely not. While they may be cousins, the Omega is sooo much better, unless you are allergic to lanolin.
    I think Proraso CREAM is the same as Omega Cream. I've never seen Omega soap, but couldn't tell you if they were the same thing.

    -Adam
    -Adam - I Conquered the 2012 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - GRU-Fall #25

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Badger State AGAIN
    Posts
    15,185
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akokandy View Post
    I think Proraso CREAM is the same as Omega Cream. I've never seen Omega soap, but couldn't tell you if they were the same thing.

    -Adam
    On my tubes of cream there is a definite difference in ingredients between Omega and Proraso. The Omega has lanolin and the Proraso does not. I can also tell a very noticeable difference. The Omega works much better for me.
    Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather. Dennis

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akokandy View Post
    I think Proraso CREAM is the same as Omega Cream. I've never seen Omega soap, but couldn't tell you if they were the same thing.
    I don't know about the creams, but the Proraso and Omega soaps are now the same, at least in terms of their ingredients. They didn't used to be; Omega soap contained lanolin, whereas Proraso did not. Now, neither of them do, but Santa Maria Novella "cream" (which is the same kind of product as the Proraso and Omega soaps) does contain lanolin, and has the same ingredients as the old Omega soap.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioCaine View Post
    but Santa Maria Novella "cream" (which is the same kind of product as the Proraso and Omega soaps) does contain lanolin, and has the same ingredients as the old Omega soap.
    Only about 10 * the $$

Similar Threads

  1. Abrasive facial scrubs + ingrown hairs = no more ingrown hairs?
    By Rancor16 in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
  2. ingrown hairs
    By ddaley212 in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM
  3. Help with ingrown hairs
    By md86 in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  4. Shave oil causing hairs to stick to blade
    By chicken neck in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
  5. still have ingrown hairs. Please help
    By miller.nw in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.