What's new

hot tub knowledge

does anyone know where i can look online to find good information about purchasing, installing, and maintaining a hot tub?
whats good, whats bad, costs to set up, costs to maintain, etc. etc.
all the sites i find are in the business of *selling* hot tubs and try to downplay the cost and play up the value... i cant find anything with people *discussing* hot tubs

Well I can't tell you about cost vs value but I can tell you a bit about the electrical hookup. There are very specific national electric code rules for connection and safe operation of a hot tub or sauna. I will NOT go into the details of this on a forum nor in private messages. I am not trying to scare you away from it or anything like that. What I am suggesting is you go to your local code enforcment agency and ask them for the requirements before you buy ANYTHING. There are certain supply and disconnecting means demanded for this type of installation. Remember, you are using an electric heater and pump for water YOU ARE SITTING IN. Savvy? Don't scrimp on the install. This could add significantly to the price of your purchase or it may not depending on the electrical and plumbing needs your unit would demand. I would suggest to you that ANY dealer who will not willingly give you manufacturers install requirements, before you even agree to buy a unit is someone to avoid. And remember, your local codes may demand that you do certain things above and beyond what the manufacturer requires. Best of luck with this. Everyone I have ever known who intalled one of these enjoyed it.

Regards, Todd

Well I can't tell you about cost vs value but I can tell you a bit about the electrical hookup. There are very specific national electric code rules for connection and safe operation of a hot tub or sauna. I will NOT go into the details of this on a forum nor in private messages. I am not trying to scare you away from it or anything like that. What I am suggesting is you go to your local code enforcment agency and ask them for the requirements before you buy ANYTHING. There are certain supply and disconnecting means demanded for this type of installation. Remember, you are using an electric heater and pump for water YOU ARE SITTING IN. Savvy? Don't scrimp on the install. This could add significantly to the price of your purchase or it may not depending on the electrical and plumbing needs your unit would demand. I would suggest to you that ANY dealer who will not willingly give you manufacturers install requirements, before you even agree to buy a unit is someone to avoid. And remember, your local codes may demand that you do certain things above and beyond what the manufacturer requires. Best of luck with this. Everyone I have ever known who intalled one of these enjoyed it.

Regards, Todd

Well said. We owned a hot tub many years ago and I had to hire a licensed electrician to hard wire it into the home's electrical system. Since the tub was outside on a deck, this required a bit of work running the lines and then installing breakers in the fuse box, etc. But a must do for safety. Since it has been so long I can't comment on cost in electricity and maintenance but I have to believe they have come a long way in the technology to keep the water clean and odor free. Make sure you get something that picks up body oil or your water will get nasty. We used something called a "scum ball", not sure what they have today. Although it required some work to maintain, we enjoyed it immensely, especially in the winter. Very cool to jump out of the tub and roll around in the snow before jumping back in! Do your due diligence and then have fun.

Top Bottom