What's new

Cure for Bad Breath

When I wake up in the morning, I always seem to have the most putrid of breath. I brush my teeth and gargle Listerine 2-3 times a day now, and yet still my breath wreaks when I wake up and (for some strange reason unbeknownst to me) until I get a good meal into my system. Even after a 2 minute session of brushing my teeth following sometimes by another 2 minute session if it feels real bad and then a nice Listerine rinse in the morning, a mere 5-10 minutes is all my mouth needs to get back to its horrific scent. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, because its getting really annoying walking around with mints and gum in my mouth all the time.

There might be something else going on in your mouth (tooth decay, for instance). I believe there is a regimen of tongue scraping that's supposed to help. I suggest that you Google it.

- Chris

Sometimes bad breath originates from your stomach as opposed to in your mouth. Maybe try eating breakfast in the morning?

+1

Much of morning breath, as gross as it sounds, is odor coming up from your stomach and intestines since your stomach is empty when you wake up. So, in that regard, brushing and gargling don't do anything. Make sure you eat something in the morning.

I also would recommend a tongue scraper.

Is this a fairly recent occurrence? It may be a sign of something else going on. You might check with your doctor, just to be sure.

it really depends on your daily habits.

do you smoke? do you eat breakfast in the am? do you drink coffee? how many times a day? how long does it take you to drink your coffee? do you drink pop/soda? eat a lot of sugary stuff?

all of these stuff does not help your breath and it'll make it rank big time. I'd add 2 yorgurts to your daily lunch cuz yorgurts help to battle bad breath.

I can't really pinpoint exactly how long its been going on, but I can tell you that it has been going on for years, so I would assume it's probably not tooth decay (but I am no dentist). I do not each breakfast usually, which very well could be the cause, and do smoke pipe occasionally and drink soda and coffee on a daily basis. I will try the yogurt, and I'll try to have a yogurt or something ready in the morning when I wake up. I usually just don't wake up in time to eat a breakfast of any significant substance. Thanks for the quick replies.

1) I do not each breakfast usually, which very well could be the cause, and 2) do smoke pipe occasionally and 3) drink soda and 4) coffee on a daily basis.

you just answered your own problem for the cause for your bad breath. you should try to eat breakfast, take 5 mins out of your day to eat.

if you drink soda or coffee, try to drink it as quick as possible. my dentist (long time dentist for 30 years) explained to me i can have coffee, but don't sip it and take 1-2 hours to finish it cuz the acidity from the coffee/soda will build up with your saliva and will cause quite a bit of a foul breath. He said try to drink it within 20 mins to half an hour after you get the beverage. After I drink my coffee/tea I wait for another 20 mins and then chew sugar-free gum which helps to clean the mouth up a bit.

the pipe smoking, eh well. sure it feels good but it's up to you if you want to the pleasure of having a clean breath or the smoke.

You should visit your physician for an assessment. It could be a medical problem that is undiagnosed. Good luck.

Mouthwash may make your breath worse, due to the drying effect of the alchohol. Your natural saliva cleans your mouth more effectively and is a natural anti-septic.

Be sure to floss, this is the only way to remove the plaque from between your teeth. Some people recommend brushing your tongue to remove the bacterial plaque from there.

2 suggestions that will not fail. "Breath Assure" for catching it at the GI track/stomach level, and get a tongue scraper. Most bad breath is alleviated with these 2 things. Get a spoon and scrape your tongue and see what comes off. You'll be amazed. A scraper is made for that job. This is advice that a smart dentist will give you. Forget mouthwash. It's a bogus, short-term cover-up. You have to fight bad breath the smart way. Good luck!

I forgot about tonsil stones. I used to get them, but they cleared up on their own. They are a common cause of bad breath. You may wish to have your tonsils examined, even if they have been removed because they are known to grow back.

When I wake up in the morning, I always seem to have the most putrid of breath. I brush my teeth and gargle Listerine 2-3 times a day now, and yet still my breath wreaks when I wake up and (for some strange reason unbeknownst to me) until I get a good meal into my system. Even after a 2 minute session of brushing my teeth following sometimes by another 2 minute session if it feels real bad and then a nice Listerine rinse in the morning, a mere 5-10 minutes is all my mouth needs to get back to its horrific scent. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, because its getting really annoying walking around with mints and gum in my mouth all the time.

floss

+1 on tongue scraping. I tried a dedicated tongue scraper, but found brushing my tongue after spitting out my toothpaste did at least as much as the scraper.

I cannot claim to have great smelling breath, but I also do not get complaints from others. I did before.

Eating dairy before going to bed, regardless of toothbrushing, is a sure recipe for ME to have halitosis in the morning.

I forgot about tonsil stones. I used to get them, but they cleared up on their own. They are a common cause of bad breath. You may wish to have your tonsils examined, even if they have been removed because they are known to grow back.

+1 on the tonsil stones. Unfortunately I get them from time to time but they are easy enough to remove.

I was hoping I'd read this. Getting that rotting gunk our from between your teeth will kill off more bacteria and give you fresher breath than Listerine. Worrying about morning breathe might be too paranoid though. Anytime your mouth stagnates for a while it is bound to have grown back some of its microbes. Everyone gets it. Also all that coffee and soda will make your mouth funky as it is dehydrating, and literally rots your teeth. My advice, if I may offer it up, is to drink more water, and less coffee/soda (actually most refined foods); chew sugar free gum especially after drinking either of those as the flavor helps, but it also cleans your teeth and pallet; scrape your tongue and use peroxide with your toothpaste or as a rinse. I hope that is useful.

You might try chlorophyl (sp) tablets and/or parsley oil soft gels to help cover the problem and freshen things up. But, it may be worth a medical exam to get at the cause as opposed to just covering symptoms.

Mouthwash may make your breath worse, due to the drying effect of the alchohol. Your natural saliva cleans your mouth more effectively and is a natural anti-septic.

Be sure to floss, this is the only way to remove the plaque from between your teeth. Some people recommend brushing your tongue to remove the bacterial plaque from there.
Yep, have to agree. Mouthwash and rinse actually kill all the beneficial bacteria that live in your mouth.

Floss daily, use a tongue scraper, and cut your sugar intake. Bacteria love sugar.

Yep, have to agree. Mouthwash and rinse actually kill all the beneficial bacteria that live in your mouth.

Floss daily, use a tongue scraper, and cut your sugar intake. Bacteria love sugar.

substitute xylitol where possible and where tolerable (some get gastric symptoms with too much xylitol)... it's a sugar alcohol (totally natural and produced by the body in small amounts and is sweeter than sugar) that also kills bacteria and is thought to also protect from viral infection.

first...dump the listerine !! alcohol kills both friendly and harmful bacteria in the mouth...a simple solution of witch hazel,water and tea tree oil is very effective for simple bad breath..if this is severe as you say,then the problem could be from the stomach not properly digesting your food..are you drinking at least 2 litres of water per day ? booze hurts the stomach lining,and onions in large quantity disturb the balance also....do you have allergy or deviated septum ? most of us that do sleep with our mouth open...this is really bad,you dry out all the membrane and the good bacteria croak,while the bad bacteria flourish,problems in the sinus cavity can induce really bad halitosis also,many people worldwide use a simple saline nasal douche for this,even some pharmacies are carrying the nazel cleansing pots now...tooth and gum decay for sure,you may need a "deep cleaning" to your gums,usually a dental surgeon does this...if your xrays do not find cavities,explain the situation to your dentist,ask him to look for hairline fractures of the teeth,,,i had this problem,when the fractured tooth was removed,i could smell the stench...man..what a difference ! bad breath gone...look to your dentist FIRST and keep investigating,this is serious stuff

Top Bottom