What's new

Why do I bother wet shaving?

I found myself asking the question to myself of why do I bother with a DE, soap, and a brush when I can just use a decent Personna 3 blade disposable? Here is the deal and the truth for me anyways.....I can use Kiss My Face and rub in on my face with no brush and use a disposable 3 blade shaver and shave WTG and get a nice shave. I can apply the KMF again and do an XTG pass and get a BBS shave. There is no need to worry about proper blade angle or getting cut if you slip. Heck I can even shave in the shower.
Why use a DE when it can nick you and give you some very nice razor burn if you do not get the blade angle right and let only the weight of the shaver be you only applied preasure. I think I have an answer for myself. Here is why I choose to use a DE when shaving. I enjoy the entire process even though it takes longer than using a disposbale shaver. I guess I can compre it like this. Using a disposbale and KMF in the shower is like a frozen TV dinner. You can cook and eat it fast and you do get fed and life goes on. Using a DE is like making a home cooked meal. It takes longer, it envolves more prep, cooking time, and clean up, however the end result is better. The food tastes better and you have this since of accomplishment knowing that you put in the effort yourself to get a nice shave.
You can go to a quick lube joint and get a fast oil change and go on with your life. You can also do the work yourself by jacking up and supporting the car, getting your tools out and ready, getting your oil and filter ready to install, then do the work, then clean up afterwards. You get the same result, but doing it the long way and doing yourself you get the joy of doing it yourself and you know that the job was done right.
I enjoy the entire process of wet shaving. I like the feel of a metal shaver in my hand, the comfort of a soft shave brush, the scent of a shave soap, the feedback that you get from a DE when shaving that you do not get from a plastic disposable shaver. Yes it takes longer, yes it can be a bit more mess to clean up, but when the shave is over and you are applying your favorite AS scent, you just feel better and you know that you have a skill that is rather lost and dead these days and you have a wonderful shave.
I can use the fast and "git the job done" method of a plastic shavers and a brushless cream, but it is just not the same. Even though you can get a nice shave using either method. For me I will stick with my DE shave. Thanks to all of you out there who have PIF'd me some nice shave gear over the months. I used a Gillette Aristocrat razor, an Old Fashioned super badger brush, Arko shave stick, and had a nice finish with Alum and Lilac Vegitol. The "easy way out" shave just can not compare with that.

I found myself asking the question to myself of why do I bother with a DE, soap, and a brush when I can just use a decent Personna 3 blade disposable? Here is the deal and the truth for me anyways.....I can use Kiss My Face and rub in on my face with no brush and use a disposable 3 blade shaver and shave WTG and get a nice shave. I can apply the KMF again and do an XTG pass and get a BBS shave. There is no need to worry about proper blade angle or getting cut if you slip. Heck I can even shave in the shower.
Why use a DE when it can nick you and give you some very nice razor burn if you do not get the blade angle right and let only the weight of the shaver be you only applied preasure. I think I have an answer for myself. Here is why I choose to use a DE when shaving. I enjoy the entire process even though it takes longer than using a disposbale shaver. I guess I can compre it like this. Using a disposbale and KMF in the shower is like a frozen TV dinner. You can cook and eat it fast and you do get fed and life goes on. Using a DE is like making a home cooked meal. It takes longer, it envolves more prep, cooking time, and clean up, however the end result is better. The food tastes better and you have this since of accomplishment knowing that you put in the effort yourself to get a nice shave.
You can go to a quick lube joint and get a fast oil change and go on with your life. You can also do the work yourself by jacking up and supporting the car, getting your tools out and ready, getting your oil and filter ready to install, then do the work, then clean up afterwards. You get the same result, but doing it the long way and doing yourself you get the joy of doing it yourself and you know that the job was done right.
I enjoy the entire process of wet shaving. I like the feel of a metal shaver in my hand, the comfort of a soft shave brush, the scent of a shave soap, the feedback that you get from a DE when shaving that you do not get from a plastic disposable shaver. Yes it takes longer, yes it can be a bit more mess to clean up, but when the shave is over and you are applying your favorite AS scent, you just feel better and you know that you have a skill that is rather lost and dead these days and you have a wonderful shave.
I can use the fast and "git the job done" method of a plastic shavers and a brushless cream, but it is just not the same. Even though you can get a nice shave using either method. For me I will stick with my DE shave. Thanks to all of you out there who have PIF'd me some nice shave gear over the months. I used a Gillette Aristocrat razor, an Old Fashioned super badger brush, Arko shave stick, and had a nice finish with Alum and Lilac Vegitol. The "easy way out" shave just can not compare with that.

+1:thumbup:

I certainly agree with the points of your post. For many, it's not only the end result that counts but the process as well for DE/straight razor shaving.

I agree with everything you say except I can not get a good shave with those mutiple blade razors without severe irritation and breakouts.

I agree with much of the original post, except, even if I use my favorite cartridge, an Atra, I prefer to keep the rest of my wet shaving routine intact. The time I save with a cartridge is insignificant compared to an injector. I might use a bit more time with an SE, and more yet with a DE, but we're still only talking a few extra minutes which I can easily spare. Admittedly I might be faster yet with some cartridge type that I haven't tried yet, but I doubt if it would amount to much. I did try a Fusion for five shaves, and didn't note much difference.

If I'm in a hurry to get a usable lather, I apply Cremo with a brush, which is just as fast as by hand, and more convenient for re-lathering. I do have some KMF which I haven't tried yet, but I expect I'd use it with a brush too.

But yes, I do understand the purpose of the OP. The whole wetshaving process is worth it for most of us even if it does take more time.

I'll just add, though, that I completely fail to see the need for AS. I've tried a couple of different kinds of AS and ASB, and as far as I can see they do nothing except add a smell I don't want. But we don't all have to be the same.

Last edited:
Everything you said, plus I am married with two kids so it gives me a bit of relaxing ME time after I shower at night.

i was with you up unitl the Lilac Vegetal comment!:wink2:

marty

LOL :) and thanks for the nice comments. :) I seem to like what I call "old school" scents. My favorites are the Lilac Vegetal, Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, and Brut. I have tried some of the newer "for men" items and just do not care for them, I smell like a teenager and I am not one of those anymore. :)

Agree with most of that.

To add, I prefer the choice of spending my money on shave stuff because I like to - not because I have to, which is the case with cartridges.

And for me, a DE shave doesn't take much more time - maybe 5 minutes max. But I can make it take time if I want, because it's relaxing and some time out.

Carts are dull, and just reduce the process back to a functional and coldly practical exercise.

LOL :) and thanks for the nice comments. :) I seem to like what I call "old school" scents. My favorites are the Lilac Vegetal, Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, and Brut. I have tried some of the newer "for men" items and just do not care for them, I smell like a teenager and I am not one of those anymore. :)

I like the old school scents also(seeing as how I'm 49 more like my school scents) but i am not going near the LV.

marty

I agree with ALMOST all of what you said.

For one, I could not get a good shave with a cartridge shaver if I had to. That was my whole reason for going DE.

For another,
You can also do the work yourself by jacking up and supporting the car, getting your tools out and ready, getting your oil and filter ready to install, then do the work, then clean up afterwards.

I can't remember the last time I owned a car that I needed to jack up and support just to change the oil:001_tongu

Great post and I mostly agree.

The difference for me is that I've tried all of the carts, but not one of them shaves as closely as DE for me. All of them feel like they drag, now that I'm running Feather and Iridium blades. Further, while a cart can deliver a decent shave, a quality DE blade will leave me smooth for 6-8 hours longer than a cart.

Add in the price difference and DE is a no-brainer.

Top Bottom