What's new

My first DE shave in 40 years

Last night, I used my Gillette Tech w/ a PERSONNA Red pack Israeli blade and Godrej shaving cream and brush. It did not work out very well. I did three passes and there was still alot of stubble on my beard, almost as if nothing had been shaved away. Could it be that the blade is not sharp enough for my tough beard, or the Gillette Tech is not aggressive enough? Finally, out of desperation, I (gasp!) grabbed my Schick Quattro Titanium razor and got the closest shave yet with two or three passes. Any suggestions? Should I try a Feather blade? Thanks.

Feathers sure are sharper than Personna, but I think the main problem here is your prep. Do you shower before shaving? Do you let the shaving cream "rest" on the face for some minutes before shaving to help softening the beard? If you do all this, I suggest you to try a kyle's prep (lather and let a hot wet towel lie on your face for awhile). If that ain't work, maybe Feathers is a better blade for you.

/A

Last night, I used my Gillette Tech w/ a PERSONNA Red pack Israeli blade and Godrej shaving cream and brush. It did not work out very well. I did three passes and there was still alot of stubble on my beard, almost as if nothing had been shaved away. Could it be that the blade is not sharp enough for my tough beard, or the Gillette Tech is not aggressive enough? Finally, out of desperation, I (gasp!) grabbed my Schick Quattro Titanium razor and got the closest shave yet with two or three passes. Any suggestions? Should I try a Feather blade? Thanks.

This comes as a surprise to me because I just started DE shaving (I really want to do straight razor shaving but use the DE while my face heals from cuts) and am getting the best shaves of my life.

I do shave immediately after showering and use Col. Conk shaving soap and a brush. One thing I do differently is use a Personna medical grade blade but I figured using those really wasn't necessary and you should be getting much better results than you are reporting with the Personna red pack.

You will probably find a blade and razor combination that works better for you, but my guess is that your shaves will improve as your technique improves (blade angle, the direction of your shaves, your prep, etc.). I hope that you enjoy your DE journey!!!

My bet would be your technique!

Techs are very non aggressive, and it's possible that the blade wasn't even hitting your face. If the blade was dull, then you would have been feeling the pull on your face.

I have had the same problem with the persona, i had better shaves with the derby blade i started with and the Astra blade i used last night.

I have shaved properly 7 times in 7 days using a Merkur34C, 3 with the derby, 3 with the persona and 1 with the astra, the persona is definately the worst but i will give them another go as i work through my sample pack.

My bet would be your technique!

Techs are very non aggressive, and it's possible that the blade wasn't even hitting your face. If the blade was dull, then you would have been feeling the pull on your face.

Great replies from everyone! Thanks. I was being extra careful since this was my first DE shave in 40 years. I used short, light strokes, following the grain of my beard. I also tried to change the angle by pulling the handle up so the razor was hitting my skin. That did not work. I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable on the way. I'll try again using that at a higher setting and see what happens. I also have some Derby's on the way.

Update: I shaved again today using this set up.
(1) I followed Kyle's shave prep: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9745
(2) Used TBS Mr. Taylor shaving cream and rubbed it into my beard and set for about 3 minutes.
(3) Again used the Gillette Tech with a Red Personna blade
(4) Followed proper technique - 30 degree angle and...
again, NOTHING. It seemed like the blade was barely touching my beard. So I reverted to a Schick Quattro Titanium and it gave me the closest shave I have had in 40 years. I credit that more to the shave prep and shaving cream/brush which I have not used before.
So now I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable and a Merkur 23C on the way, along with some Derby and Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum blades on the way. When these arrive, I'll give them a try. Maybe the Slim Adjustable, set at 3 or higher will make a difference.

Your face sounds tough enough for a Feather. What with 5 or 6 passes you did last time out.

My new Gillette Slim Adjustable came in today's mail. It looks practically brand new. Which number should I shave with, in light of this experience with the Tech? Would "3" be a good place to start? Thanks.

My new Gillette Slim Adjustable came in today's mail. It looks practically brand new. Which number should I shave with, in light of this experience with the Tech? Would "3" be a good place to start? Thanks.

3 or 4 would be a good start. You'll be tempted to try it at different settings, but use it at this setting for at least a couple of weeks before you start tweaking. I ended up using setting 5 or 6 with the adjustables, but didn't start there.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom