What's new

Dislocated shoulder torn rotator cuff

Hi a bit of a strange question. I have dislocated and probably torn my rotator cuff (right arm and I am right handed). I have gone back to using a cartridge razor and have been using the pump kiss my face by using my left hand to rub it around a bit, then “trying” to shave in the shower to avoid a mess and keep some hot water on my shoulder – which feels good.
So……has anyone else had this kind of a problem? If so what kind of work arounds did you find helpful?
I am about ready to buy – wash my mouth out – an electric razor. I just don’t have the guts to pull out my DE and trusty Feather, even though I sometimes use my left hand to shave. I find I want to pull my right hand up as a glide but the pain is so intense there is no way to do this just now.
As a side note my hand is numb, I can’t really open anything with my right hand. Oh and I am going to an Orthopedic surgeon this Friday for an evaluation.

It sounds like there's no easy way around this, but I'm not quite getting why you think an electric would be a good alternative to using a cartridge. I haven't been in your shoes, but I imagine I'd get better shaves using a cartridge razor with my left hand than I would with an electric, no matter which hand I would use.

I did in my rotor cuff ages ago playing varsity waterpolo. In those days I used carts and electric razors. I don't know about the seriousness of your injury but for me the electric was unmanageable (to heavy) for my injured side and it gave horrible shaves fumbling around with my left.

The best shaves I managed were with a cartridge razor and gel. Gel was easier to spread around than my cream at that time barbasol.

Actually I have an idea...That was 20 years ago now and since then electrics have gotten way better...I have a very expensive, self cleaning wet/dry Panasonic electric. I used it once in the shower by pumping KMF right onto the wet foil...It started lathering and bubbling all over the place! Combined with some patience and hot shower it gave passable results...I just followed the same 3 pass routine (WTG, XTG W-E, XTG E-W) with it as I do my DE and lots of short blade buffing type motions and guess what...it didn't kill me! I likely won't use this razor much if ever again...

If you would like to borrow it for the duration of your recovery shoot me a pm!

Remembering the way my shoulder was this razor would have been a blessing back then...the benefits and comfort of wet shaving but way less danger...

Let me know!

Last edited:
If you would like to borrow it for the duration of your recovery shoot me a pm!

That's very cool of you, dod. Panasonics are very good shavers, as far as electrics go. I can't get any electric to work for me very well, but I think Panasonics are the best ones made all the same, and would recommend them to anyone who is determined to go electric. It certainly can't hurt to try one out for free.

That's very cool of you, dod. Panasonics are very good shavers, as far as electrics go. I can't get any electric to work for me very well, but I think Panasonics are the best ones made all the same, and would recommend them to anyone who is determined to go electric. It certainly can't hurt to try one out for free.

Oddly I tried it once not to long ago (the Panasonic that is) and you know if I follow my same 3-4 pass map as I do with DE and really use NO pressure (maybe even less than DE) it actually shaves ok. It helps that it is a "wet" model you can use in the shower...I pumped KMF right onto the foil and it "lathered" well more like bubbled like crazy for the whole shave!

It wasn't a great DFS but with the pain of the rotor cuff injury the possibility of wet shaving safely with one hand would be a real bonus. Just dunk it in water, put it on the counter and pump KMF onto it, hop in the shower then turn on the razor (it spits lather a bit) and shave.

OK anyway it's not April 1st so I need to stop talking about electric razors now!

Cartridges? Electrics? Have you lost your mind along with your poor shoulder? :smile:

This is a time that calls for an effort in ambidexterity. It happens. As a lefty, I've been forced to adapt to using the incorrect hand for many tasks. So use your left, which is the right hand for many tasks.

If I had to adapt myself to can openers, gravy boats and scissors, surely you can learn to shave with your left hand. It will save you the embarassment of cutting foils and lubrication strips.

Either that or you could simply grow a beard until you heal.

And best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Separated my shoulder in Dec 08, and still have bad days that make my arm useless for a few days.
When my shoulder hurts, I don't use it for anything for a day or so, and that includes shaving :tongue_sm

Listen to your physio and do your exercises. You will get a great deal of pain, and it's not going away any time soon. I get to go back in a month for followup again.

Cartridges? Electrics? Have you lost your mind along with your poor shoulder? :smile:

It's not that you lose your mind or that you don't want to try and be ambidextrous. It's just that any movement with either arm (and also the neck, head etc) can be down right kick butt painful. I also had involuntary movements while I was trying to do daily things.

It's just faster and safer (possibly) with the electric. I would say try and DE shave left handed but if the pain or movement is to much at least you can get a quick basic shave in and feel clean. The offer is there!

Once again...it's not April fools I have got to stop talking about my electric razor on here! :001_rolle

VampyreWolf, aodenkou it's been twenty years since mine (and thankfully I have been pain free) but just thinking about this I can almost feel it. Goodluck to both of you, get well.

Last edited:
VampyreWolf, aodenkou it's been twenty years since mine (and thankfully I have been pain free) but just thinking about this I can almost feel it. Goodluck to both of you, get well.

10 years since I twisted/blew my knee, and 5-6 since I smashed the other one... While functional (still not 100% on either one), I go through stretches of weeks at a time of pain where my only choice is the drug myself up and go to work.
I'm just hoping the shoulder doesn't take as long to improve.

I took the other route when I injured my shoulder... I used the clippers on my face once a week and said screw shaving.

Ouch, hope everything works out for you. I had two shoulder accidents. The first one I was playing lacrosse got hit and landed on my shoulder and got a small crack down the disc. Second time I was skateboarding went to jump a step and miscalculated and smashed my shoulder. Now I have arthritis in my right shoulder..luckily I'm a lefty.

in '01 I had a bike accident... smoked a parked car at 1am, when I looked back to see if I could swing around it without being in traffic. Misjudged either my speed or the distance to the car, because when I looked forward I had about 20feet left. BAM! Backpack on trunk, me 5-10 feet off the front corner of the car, and my bike ~30 feet in front of the car. Yeah, I was going that fast when I smoked it :tongue_sm
Front tire and forks were toast, frame was bent, and it was ~2km from home. Carried the bike home. My back was a solid bruise from 'hole to hair. Bone chips in both shoulders, bruised ribs, concussion.

and then my one in dec '08, tobogganing accident... 2 man inner-tube, laying down on it, with a well packed hill that curved you towards the ramp irregardless of where you started. 1st run we had 2 ppl on there and didn't make 10' down the hill. 2nd run I was alone laying on it, hit the ramp wrong and tipped/spun. Dunno how far I went from the ramp, but the groove my shoulder dug into the hard packed snow at the bottom was a good 10 feet long. Spent the next 3 days in a hot tub or on the couch passed out from whiskey and painkillers (or working on that state).

no point in minor injuries eh? :lol:

I think I am going to refrain from helping start the "brag about my injuries" thread! The list is to long! (and besides with all the concussions I am sure I have forgotten a few!)

Just think I used to be known as the accident prone one...and I am now shaving with a straight razor!

in the last 14 years I think I've done every thing except manage to put an arm or leg into a cast.

Track injuries, bike accidents, manual labour injuries, and then leisure injuries.

It sounds like there's no easy way around this, but I'm not quite getting why you think an electric would be a good alternative to using a cartridge. I haven't been in your shoes, but I imagine I'd get better shaves using a cartridge razor with my left hand than I would with an electric, no matter which hand I would use.

Amen to that. And I hope you get better soon.

Last edited:
I know your situation. I have a left shoulder that dislocates every year or two, resulting from a water ski accident. Even though I am right handed, I would use my left to stretch my skin, etc. I would suggest a cartridge razor and see Mark's advanced shaving techniques video regarding the Gillette slide. It is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU&feature=fvsre1.

Get better soon! It seems as if a few of us at B&B know what you are going through. Keep us posted on your progress health wise.

if i were u get in the habit of shaving with your other hand untill your rotator cuff heals up
+1!

By learning how to shave with your other hand it will have added benefits down the road, especially if you ever get into straight razors. Not to mention you can shave with a DE better by being ambidextrious (sp?). I broke my collar bone years ago and had to do a lot with my left arm for a month or two. It sucked at the time, but having recently switched to a straight razor, it is much easier to shave with both hands without fear of losing my ear! Hope you have a speedy recovery. I know how painful an injury to the shoulder can be!

Last edited:
It shouldn't take you too long to learn to shave with your left hand. I am left-handed and have learnt to shave with my right hand in order to make it easier to shave with a straight razor.

I recently had total replacement of both my shoulders ( not at the same time) I'm a lefty but when they did the left shoulder I used my right hand to shave with a DE and now use both hands only for shaving.

Top Bottom