What's new

New Jnats. Translation, please?

I got one from 330mate and had it translated(lost the translation e-mail :( ), it does not say anything about the stone as the actual vintage ones say. Hope you got a good Nakayama, but the good quality stones are usually beyond the price mark of Mr. Nakaoka. Mine is used as mid level finisher right now, it is in the ~20k range. I also got the nagura it definitely is not to be used on the Nakayama its way to coarse, I use it a slurry stone for my 1k bevel setter. Mine is too small to hone on ,may be they are good for that give it a try.

Last edited:
Mine is used as mid level finisher [...] in the ~20k range.

Ha. Mid-level. I'd be happy with that. ~20k is good enough for me!

For the price, I figured it was worth the shot. I was trying to find an Iyoto since I wanted a natural coarse waterstone, and the delay from figuring out 330mate's ordering system was just enough time to make me think of getting a Nakayama too. We'll see how I like it compared to my coticules and Thüringians. At the very least I can sell it to someone in the US.

Last edited:
Ha. Mid-level. I'd be happy with that. ~20k is good enough for me!

For the price, I figured it was worth the shot. I was trying to find an Iyoto since I wanted a natural coarse waterstone, and the delay from figuring out 330mate's ordering system was just enough time to make me think of getting a Nakayama too. We'll see how I like it compared to my coticules and Thüringians. At the very least I can sell it to someone in the US.
If this one is like mine it will be fine enough to shave decently off of it.
I needed ~2 weeks to realize I have to get a real Nakayama from a reputable source.
Nice thread about how to use Jnat stone here:
http://coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/2699.html
long but very informative

I apologize for going off-topic but how does the Iyoto work for you? I tried Aoto from 330mate as a natural coarse stone but it was an utter failure for me (you can find the details in the Aoto thread on SRP).

I apologize for going off-topic but how does the Iyoto work for you? I tried Aoto from 330mate as a natural coarse stone but it was an utter failure for me (you can find the details in the Aoto thread on SRP).

No problem. I haven't used the Iyoto on any blades yet but did use it to smooth the faces on my 2oz ball peen hammer. (It had come with something glazed onto the hitting surfaces but the metal itself was not smooth, meaning that hammer caused the glaze to chip off and leaving coarse surfaces.) Starting off, the scratches from the Iyoto were fairly coarse but became very smooth in not much time. That makes me optimistic about it. I'll next try it on a Gold Dollar and a knife I'm working on.

No problem. I haven't used the Iyoto on any blades yet but did use it to smooth the faces on my 2oz ball peen hammer. (It had come with something glazed onto the hitting surfaces but the metal itself was not smooth, meaning that hammer caused the glaze to chip off and leaving coarse surfaces.) Starting off, the scratches from the Iyoto were fairly coarse but became very smooth in not much time. That makes me optimistic about it. I'll next try it on a Gold Dollar and a knife I'm working on.

Thank you Dan. I will try my luck with Iyoto, too; as soon as it arrives (not from 330mate though).

In my experience buying stones from 330mare is very risky, you will get lower quality stone more often than not.
Aoto is a soft stone that is not suitable for razors, you want the stone to be harder than the steel or you are risking rounding the edges.

I have found a Oozuku Suita from a local source in US that is amazingly fast and can cover 1- 8/10k range right after 1k bevel setter, I was even able to set a bevel on a full hollow with it. What I mean is that it is not impossible to find stones capable of doing the majority of work.

Top Bottom