What's new

Embarrassed...

Those who have been following along as I chronicle my journey into straight razor shaving know that I've been doing alright, to a certain point. Even the shave prior the one I had today was great - a DFS in 2.5 passes. However, today was... well, see attached.

I was literally stunned and saddened, perhaps more than anything else. I mean, it didn't really hurt at all. The styptic pencil stung a bit, but put the brakes on the bleeding in an instant. I'm probably going to have a scar here, as this wasn't like the little thin slices I've had before (which, mind you, are already forgotten and invisible). Oh, and it's probably evident in that picture that I didn't exactly get the best shave after that. I was pretty shaken by the whole experience. I even contemplated quitting.

Has anybody else had this type of experience learning to shave with a straight? On one hand, I want it to be somewhat commonplace. But on another, I'm starting to think my head was just in the wrong place this morning.

I never should have started a vertical stroke there anyway. I typically go horizontally, from lip to sideburn. The beard there is a pushover. I didn't need to get crazy.

Had the exact same nick myself only to cut it again on the shave after, it's healed up nicely now i wouldn't get too pent up on it, i can now shave pretty decently so it will come together in the end.

You need to take it a bit easier when the blade is in that region, it's how i kept on getting cut there untill i focused more on what i was doing.

I have not received any cuts that severe from an actual straight razor. Did get some nice ones from my mis-adventures with shavette's.

I hate to ask, but do you actually have bead hair that grows that high on your check??

Last edited:
My worst cut actually came from a DE. Not the sharp side either. I caught my ear with the side of the blade that sticks out from under the head.

Evil.

My worst cut actually came from a DE. Not the sharp side either. I caught my ear with the side of the blade that sticks out from under the head.

Evil.

I have caught the side of my nose with that edge of the blade too. Bled really badly; manged too do it two days in a row. I am just that talented/ clumsy. :lol::lol:

The Muhle/Edwin Jaggers are actually designed to not expose very much of those edges which is a wonderful feature. :biggrin1:

that's nothing to worry about. too bad it's not one of those vertical scars that ends on both sides of your eye. you could say you got in a fight with a biker gang, or tamed a wolverine. you get the picture. :001_cool:

I have several gashes and slices and cuts like that. To hell with a nick or weeper. I had a slice in my chin that make a cool scar. It happens. Nothing to be embarassed about. You will heal with no mark most likely. These things cut so cleanly. It's cool you slice yourself see the blade go under and into the skin yet it takes a moment before the blood pours. I can tell now by feel if I've cut myself when shaving. It doesn't happen as often as it used to. Only when I rush or try something dumb. Learn by my stupidity.

No worries! I haven't cut myself that badly yet <knock on wood>, but I got a nice slice on my cheeck 2nd shave in. Rub some dirt on it... get back on the horse! :laugh:

- Jason

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You have whiskers that high on your face???

Never mind . . . keep it moist . . . cover it with Vaseline . . . ointment of some kind as it heals and it may scar less.

Never mind . . . keep it moist . . . cover it with Vaseline . . . ointment of some kind as it heals and it may scar less.

I start my pass that high as well. The best thing to put on that is a vitamin E type salve (like Vaseline but full of vitamin E). That stuff promotes healing and minimizes scarring...take it from someone whos wife has bought the bulk pack of it from cost-co a few times cause her husband is a maniac!

Ouch! That is similar to the one I gave myself yesterday. Mine was on the side of my chin. I forgot to stretch the skin and had a bad angle. It is amazing how much you respect the blade after an encounter like that. I guess we just chalk it up to the leaning curve and don't make the same mistake twice, right? Better luck in subsequent shaves! Nice pic by the way! I am sure I will have some good ones to post soon enough. The longer than DE blade is a bit tricky.

Had the same thing happen to me right on my right cheekbone, can still see it faintly. I also dinged myself really good with a DE right on the center of my chin while doing an XTG pass, that one's a beaut. You're not alone hahah :thumbup1:

that is a bummer of a cut, but I would not recommend keeping it moist. moisture is actually a breeding ground for bacteria. neosporin that bad boy and leave it open. no bandage.

been at it close to a year now.. 4 days ago got the worst cut i have had so far, was on neck and was doing a slight slide in an ATG got hung at a point and let me know i made a mistake. so i would say this type of thing can happen regardless of experience.

As someone who has facial hair that high up (I'm actually a wolf), I can tell you this, I got a nice little gash up top a few months ago, bled like a stuck pig. It's all healed up now. Nothing to be ashamed of, it'll actually heal up nicer than you think.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You'll be surprised how quickly that disappears.
I've had a few like that and there's no sign of them today.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Compared to my Wade & Butcher chin scar, that looks like a minor "ouchy boo-boo".... Toughen up kid!

(Honestly hope it heals well... You've arrived)

Top Bottom