What's new

Cobra Classic - a Great Mistery ( are people ashamed to admit they burned 125$) ?

poonjaji, is it true that only the Pro feather will work in it? (I got this straight from the vendor)

I can't see why the Super or the Guard won't work.

poonjaji, is it true that only the Pro feather will work in it? (I got this straight from the vendor)

That is what I had heard as well, so I stocked up on the Professionals. Telly gifted me a couple packs of the Proguard blades last week, so I will try one and let you know.

This morning I tried to load a Proguard into the razor, and could not get it to close. As silly as it may sound, I believe it is the added thickness of the guard. Had I forced it, it may have eventually loaded, but my CC is very tight as it is...or you could say it was machined specifically for the thickness of the Professional blade. I do not have any Supers so I cannot speak to those. Maybe another owner reading this could comment if they have been successful.

It would be interesting to compare it with most aggressive DE like Futur on 6.

I measured the gap as best as I could - in both directions of blade to safety bar - and based on the crude instruments I was using it appears to be about a 1 mm gap, give or take a fraction of a mm. Lining them up side-by-side as I tried to do in the photos, the gap and blade angles are almost identical on the CC and Type F.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to convince anyone they should buy this razor. As someone who owns one I simply wanted to share that it works for me. At $125 take YMMV seriously. If you are happy with your current razor, be happy. However, if you are after the most aggressive shave you can find, you could try what my friend did. He had mentioned wanting to use something other than a cartridge, so I bought him a Futur...thinking it gave him options of aggressiveness. Much to my chagrin, he had it in his hands about 10 minutes before he ran off to his shop and cut the safety bar off one side "so it would not clog with hair." He has been using that razor to shave his head and face for the last 5 or so years and has never looked back. It is the only razor he owns, so he cannot comment if it is more aggressive than the CC...but I am guessing it is and it works for him. YMMV! :001_smile

I used all the Feather Blades on the CC and my 2 cent would be: Both Pro Guard and the Pro Light fit in the razor but the shave is not even close to the Pro Blade. I still have the Pro Guard blades if anyone wants them.

I had to replace my CC because the locking piece started getting loose.That is the only thing that worries my with the CC. The locking piece starts to make a what I call a locking path on the upper part as it rubs anytime you lock a blade in. I am not sure how to explain it.Poonjaji what do you think of that part of the razor?

I had to replace my CC because the locking piece started getting loose.That is the only thing that worries my with the CC. The locking piece starts to make a what I call a locking path on the upper part as it rubs anytime you lock a blade in. I am not sure how to explain it.Poonjaji what do you think of that part of the razor?

In all honesty, that is the only thing about the razor that I pondered as far as longevity, and I guess I now have an answer. :)sneaky2:) For those trying to understand what exactly we are talking about, in the photo below you can see a small bump on part of the razor that swivels. Under the head there is a small, matching indentation. After loading a blade you swivel the part mounted on the handle until the bump "snaps" into the indentation. What I believe tempestivo has described is the metal of the "locking path" wearing away as the bump repeatedly rubs on the underside of the head, thus making it loose.

For the sake of those reading this thread, how long did you own your CC before you had to replace it, and did Classic Shaving replace it for you or did you have to buy another?

View attachment 99959

My CC was a couple of months old.The problem had just started but i didn't see a reason to wait.When I put something that sharp on my face I want to be sure it works as it is supposed to.Another thing that I noticed was that as the bump pierced through(usually there is a little crevace that accomodates the bump)something that looked like white paper surfaced.I am not sure but that part of the razor seems to be very soft. On a better note the customer care is great and they did send the replacement even before I send my piece in which was nice. So far my replacement has worked great but that part worries me as don't want to have to replace the razor every other month.

My CC was a couple of months old.The problem had just started but i didn't see a reason to wait.When I put something that sharp on my face I want to be sure it works as it is supposed to.Another thing that I noticed was that as the bump pierced through(usually there is a little crevace that accomodates the bump)something that looked like white paper surfaced.I am not sure but that part of the razor seems to be very soft. On a better note the customer care is great and they did send the replacement even before I send my piece in which was nice. So far my replacement has worked great but that part worries me as don't want to have to replace the razor every other month.

I am happy to hear, though not surprised, that Classic Shaving offered such wonderful customer service. I wonder if you simply got one that slipped through their quality control. Superbleu was the first person I knew that had one, and I think he has had his for a while and has used it without issue. Mine is a month or so old - plus had a previous owner - and it does not show any signs of getting loose. In fact, mine is almost overly tight. I do tend to leave a blade in until it needs to be changed - mainly because it is so tight - though I typically take the blades out of my DEs after each use. I guess I will keep that up and see how it goes. As for now, I truly enjoy this razor. :thumbup:

I received my Cobra Classic as a gift in December 2008, and I've used it almost every day since. I had one issue - the plating on the handle became discolored after a month or so. Classic Shaving immediately replaced the razor, and I've not had any problems since.

I'm at work, so I can't confirm this; however, I don't recall my razor having the small protrusion on the piece that swivels. Perhaps that is a later-generation improvement?

I'm delighted with the razor. I get a BBS shave with two passes. When I replace the blade (every 7 - 10 shaves), I have learned to pay very close attention to what I'm doing for a couple of shaves. Other than that, I have no criticisms of the razor.

I don't get excited about grooming stuff, but I really do like the CC!

(However, I'm lusting for one of those Pils razors that Ray [thirdeye] at Gentlemen's Best has for sale. Unfortunately, the Pils makes the CC look moderately priced in comparison!)

I'm lusting for one of those Pils razors that Ray [thirdeye] at Gentlemen's Best has for sale. Unfortunately, the Pils makes the CC look moderately priced in comparison!

Yeah...that is why I am not ashamed to admit I "burned" $125 on the Cobra. However, I also own a Pils. :blushing: It does not shave as close as the Cobra, but it is a wonderful razor. I sold some of my favorite Gillettes to finance it, and I have no regrets. Again YMMV.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1893228&postcount=69
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1894730&postcount=70
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1894738&postcount=71

On an earlier reply within this Post I referenced West Coast Shaving as where I purchased the CC when in fact it was Classic Shaving. Senior Moment! :001_rolle

On average, how many shaves are you guys getting outta of the Pro Feather Blade? I've read as many as 18-20 shaves from some members.

Beginning tomorrow I'm breaking out the Cobra with a fresh blade and see if can get 10 shaves.

Hi all !

It has been a long time I wanted to buy Cobra Classic. I currently own Merkur Futur and Merkur Slant ( I use both with Feather blades ) and I was wondering if Cobra Classic with Feather Professional would be the next notch or few notches above them in term of closeness.

What's really surprised me that I can't find a lot of info about this razor. I am surprised nobody published anything on Safety Razor forum. It has been out of stock for a long time and recently returned, so I guess there is a demand and few people bought it but silence is roaming. Are people disappointed and ashamed to admit they wasted 125$ on it, since it's really not something special. Or it's so special that people became speechless after they shave with it, forget friends and family and even stop participating in the forum :)

Somebody from the lucky owner, please, respond
I have one and it is quite good..Blade a bit wider..OK grip ..somewhat difficult blade change but really quite nice...and a good shaver..kind of unique

Top Bottom