What's new

running shoes

Does anyone know if you are suppose to buy running shoes a half size to full size larger than you normally wear? Someone in a shoe retail place said this to me.

You buy them so there is enough wiggle room in the toe box fr the toes to be comfortable.

What happens is that your feet will swell a bit, and in long races, like a marathon, the toenails may begin to rub against the inside front causing pain and discomfort.

If you look at the running shoes you have now, check out the European size. I find that going by that on the box gives me a better indication of size than our system.

Also, I would check out a running specialty store near you, if you have any.

Like any other type of shoe it also depends on the brand...I am a 10 in almost everything except New Balance in which I am an 11. Don't go by the number but by fit. A little room in the toe box with a narrow heal works best for my foot. Find a company and model with a last that works...then wait a minute cause they will change it!

Good luck!

my feet are a size 9 on the brannock scale and all of my running shoes are a size 10. all of them fit me perfectly

Similar here in that I'm usual 1/2 a number smaller for dress shoes vs. sneakers. Your size/number is only a guide until you know how a particular brand fits you. I find Asics and New Balance to be very consistent size-wise (altho I'm not a runner) and they come in every size and width (or at least so it seems).

go to a specialty running store and let them fit you.

run on the treadmill, do all the computer stuff. usually free, and more than worth the effort. your feet will thank you.

Most of the higher end running shoes i've tried fit pretty close to my regular size, but are made with a larger toe box. The Nike Vomero was probably my favorite. I agree with the others, go to a specialty running store, they'll take care of you.

If you have a runner's shop within a reasonable distance from you, you would benefit from a gait analysis. A runner's shop is more likely to fit you in a shoe suitable for your feet.

If you have a runner's shop within a reasonable distance from you, you would benefit from a gait analysis. A runner's shop is more likely to fit you in a shoe suitable for your feet.

+1 on this advice, I have narrow feet with low instep which means I over pronate, after trying four different brands, I found the Nike Equalons to be "my" running shoe.

Getting properly fitted for running shoes will save you a lot of pain (and rehab) down the road.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Size numbers on running shoes tend to be a bit "off" compared to dress shoes, so it's not that you need more room in the running shoe, but that

a different number = a good fit

I definitely agree with this advice. Most running shoes come in a variety of widths as well. I wear New Balance, and tend to be a 11 in normal width (11-D), and 10.5 in wide (10.5-2E). You should also pay attention to the amount of support each shoe provides, but a good store will help you with that.

It really depends on the brand. I use Roadrunnersports.com for my shoes. They tell you specifically, for each model of shoe, if you should order your dress shoe size or 1/2 size up (and, for some, a full size up!).

I went to a running shop called fleet feet to get a foot analysis and they pretty much told me what I already kinda figured out from looking around the internet. I have fallen arches and would do best in a stability shoe. They said that it is good to get a whole size larger for running shoes but they felt a bit too big. They had inserts that really felt good though... they were called 10 seconds to flat feet.

Normally you order running shoes 1/2 to 1 full size larger. But definitely agree you should visit a reputable running shoe store to get the right shoe based on foot profile, running gait, etc.

Running the Long Island Half Marathon on the 2nd. Have run about four half marathons in the past year. One of these days I'll get it right.

Last edited:
\ I am a 10 in almost everything except New Balance in which I am an 11.

+1

I'm a size higher in New Balance, part of that may be because my New Balances are my running shoes. Since I have a high arch, when I land, it compresses my arch (flattens out the curve) and pushes my toes out about another full size than when I am just standing, having that extra room in the toe box keeps my toes from going numb after long runs. Same for my cycling shoes BTW. I like Shimanos, tried several different Sidis and Pearl Izumis but ended up liking Shimanos the most ( i think its because they make sidis for those narrow euro feet =P).

Top Bottom