What's new

First impressions of my Semogue 620 Boar Brush..

So I received my Semogue 620 Boar Brush all the way from Portugal today (Vintage Scents). Its a beauty. I immediately set about to clean it and begin breaking it in as it did have a "wet dog" type of scent to it. Plus from what I've read (this is my first boar brush), boars, and specifically Semogue boars, take a long time to break in (2-4 weeks). Is that correct?

Anyhow, after unboxing it, I soaked it in some water for an hour. I then washed it with Dawn dish detergent and then soaked it in a dawn solution for another hour. I then broke out SWMBO's blowdryer and began using Tabac soap to create lather after lather and when finished, blowdry the brush back to a dry state. Rinse and repeat. I did this about 7-8 times just to simulate a week's worth of use. It did seem like it got better substantially after the first 3-4 times. I'm sure it will get even nicer.

As for the brush, it is rather scritchy, but its my first boar so not sure what to expect really.. seems very sturdy. It definitely has a ton of backbone, very stiff, should exfoliate me well!! :)

I bought the Semogue 620 primarily for the purpose of face lathering hard soaps (Tabac, MWF, Irisch Moos). I think it will be the perfect brush for that as it is a short, squatty little bugger. Here are the stats on the brush:

http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-620-shaving-brush-p-63

Acrylic handle
Banded imitation badger Extra 75% tops
Knot: 22 mm, Loft: 50 mm. Handle height: 43 mm

Here's some pictures of it after my break-in process today. Enjoy! :thumbup:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And for comparison purposes...

Pictures of the Semogue 620 Boar next to my Badgers (Edwin Jagger 21mm Best & Saville Row 3722 Silvertip)
picture.php

picture.php

Overhead view of the knots of these brushes..

From left to right, Semogue 620, Edwin Jagger 21mm Best, Saville Row 3722 Silvertip
picture.php

Last edited:
My 2000 arrived today too. I got REALLY lucky, as at least 50% of the hairs were already split. I actually have trouble finding two touching each other that aren't. It's soft as a babies butt. I'm learning how to lather properly with a boar now. I have to admit, I'm heavily partial to boars without the "silvertip" dye job. It just seems ridiculous to me, that's why I went with the 2000.

I'm really looking forward to breaking it in further and seeing what it can do.

I got "farm" not "wet Dog" for a smell. And let me tell you, "Farm" + SandalWood/Rose is very interesting. Like a Pig wearing perfume.

My 2000 arrived today too. I got REALLY lucky, as at least 50% of the hairs were already split. I actually have trouble finding two touching each other that aren't. It's soft as a babies butt. I'm learning how to lather properly with a boar now. I have to admit, I'm heavily partial to boars without the "silvertip" dye job. It just seems ridiculous to me, that's why I went with the 2000.

I'm really looking forward to breaking it in further and seeing what it can do.

I got "farm" not "wet Dog" for a smell. And let me tell you, "Farm" + SandalWood/Rose is very interesting. Like a Pig wearing perfume.

I agree completely about the stupid "silvertip badger" look on a boar brush. I wanted to find one without it, but wanted a short squatty little brush, and this was it, so I ignored the badger look of it.

After my break-ins, it now smells like Tabac and the "wet dog" smell is gone completely!

Most of my hairs were NOT split and I have a feeling from what I've read this little baby might take most of a month to really break-in. You can see a couple split in the pics, but most are not split yet, and its still very scratchy.

X :thumbup1:

Yes, Squatty is not a word I'd use to describe the 2k. Here it is next to my greater than six inch tall pinched overstuffed 24mm finest Bullseye made me.

By the way, did you snag anything with the brush?

I picked up a tube of that 444 a/s balm. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Last edited:
By the way, did you snag anything with the brush?

I picked up a tube of that 444 a/s balm. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Unfortunately no. I should have grabbed some La Toja stuff. Or the Floid aftershave...live and learn. :)

If you're really trying to speed up the break in process xivex, you can try lathering in the morning and at night every day, using the blow dryer a bit to help dry the bristles between latherings.

I've found the 620 doesn't have quite the higher quality bristles of some of the other brushes. Looks like things go from Extra > Best > Premium > Super

Unfortunately no. I should have grabbed some La Toja stuff. Or the Floid aftershave...live and learn. :)

You snagged a great boar brush and if you ever get the opportunity I can recommend the La Toja splash and sensitive shave cream:w00t:

I agree completely about the stupid "silvertip badger" look on a boar brush. I wanted to find one without it, but wanted a short squatty little brush, and this was it, so I ignored the badger look of it.

After my break-ins, it now smells like Tabac and the "wet dog" smell is gone completely!

Most of my hairs were NOT split and I have a feeling from what I've read this little baby might take most of a month to really break-in. You can see a couple split in the pics, but most are not split yet, and its still very scratchy.

X :thumbup1:

The tips should be startnig to "soften" a bit already & continue to to do so for sometime. It will retain its back bone though. I bought & used a cake of Williams in about 10 days just for additional usage to speed up the break in.

Keep on going & it will come good.

Top Bottom