What's new

Trader Joes Shave Cream

As a huge fan of Trader Joes' products, and even their apothecary products like soaps and lotions, I was curious recently when I saw an 8 oz tube of Shave Cream. As it was only a few dollars, I decided to pick it up. Here are my comments.

The fragrance is nice, a mango-honey, which, while admittedly not the most masculine out there, is a nice change from some of the other soaps/creams that I use.

I put a small amount in my Japanese shave bowl and started to lather, or well, attempt to. Ultimately, that's my largest complaint with the cream is that it took a TON of this stuff to produce a lather even remotely comparable to my Proraso or even Kiss My Face. It felt like I just kept adding more and more to the bowl.

When I did get a substantive lather, the result was a surprisingly smooth, slick shave, albeit a little runny. I did notice that the scent dissipated very quickly which is probably a good thing. While this cream can't hold a candle to most of the creams and soaps that we're used to (not to be an elitist or anything...), it was good as a backup if you don't mind using a lot of it at once.

Trader Joes offers a no-questions-asked money back policy if you're not 100% satisfied and in the five+ years I've been shopping there, I've only returned 2 items. If this were any more expensive, I'd bring it back, but I'll probably use it as a travel cream and wouldn't purchase it again or necessarily recommend it.

Overall rating
2.5 / 5

StayPuft:w00t:

I think that the Trader Joes cream is more or less a "smear it on, shave it off" thing. I never got it to lather, but I can't recall trying that hard either.

The Joe's cream is a non-lathering 'Brushless' shave cream. By all accounts it is a decent product if you favor the brushless stuff.

-- John Gehman

it's a latherless cream. i ended up giving it to the gf. a cream that doesn't lather isn't something i want to be a part of!!! (the smell was decent and I think it does perform relatively satisfactory at what it claims, however)

Eudjinn,

I'd have to agree that I really don't want to partake in a cream that doesn't lather, but since it does the job, I'll probably keep it as a travel cream. At least it smelled good!

Eudjinn,

I'd have to agree that I really don't want to partake in a cream that doesn't lather, but since it does the job, I'll probably keep it as a travel cream. At least it smelled good!

can't argue with that! I did like the smell, but I just loves me some lathering creams <3

There's no law that says you need a mountain of lather to get a good shave ... the only time you need that much foamy whiteness is if you're taking pictures for an advertisement.

Consider these three axioms about lather:

• Don't confuse Quantity with Quality.
  • Any lather that doesn't make direct contact with your whiskers is a moot point.
  • If it gives you a good shave, then its good lather.

There's no law that says you need a mountain of lather to get a good shave ... the only time you need that much foamy whiteness is if you're taking pictures for an advertisement.

Consider these three axioms about lather:

• Don't confuse Quantity with Quality.
  • Any lather that doesn't make direct contact with your whiskers is a moot point.
  • If it gives you a good shave, then its good lather.

Absolute truth.

Btw,

TJ is offering an unscented version of this too. It's in a pretty, blue tube.

proxy.php

Top Bottom