What's new

Alum block Vs. Witch Hazel

Don't they do the same thing, except Alum might have a sting to it if you have a harsh shave while witch hazel (alcohol free) would not? So using them both would be repeating the same step?

I was thinking of getting some witch hazel, but I'm already used to and enjoy the feeling of an alum block.

Don't they do the same thing, except Alum might have a sting to it if you have a harsh shave while witch hazel (alcohol free) would not? So using them both would be repeating the same step?

I was thinking of getting some witch hazel, but I'm already used to and enjoy the feeling of an alum block.

Both feel good and I can't imagine a shave without both steps.

The WH usually has aloe added and (at least the rose...which I highly recommend) has a nice fresh scent. the aloe moisturizes the skin while the alum causes it to "tighten up." I think you could use one and not the other, but they do add different things and are very nice together. Someone suggested (and I will try this next shave) to use the WH to rinse off the alum residue when it's done drying. All in all, my face feels VERY different when I just use alum and not the WH. The real question is if you need ASB (Proraso, Nivea) after using WH...

As posted elsewhere I just can't tolerate the smell of any ASso the witch hazel is great for me - a good product to use 'AFTER the SHAVE' without having to rely on aftershave and the accompanying scent.

I use the alum. block, rinse with cold water, towel dry & put on an AS balm.
By the way, witch hazel is great to use to clean the glass lenses in your glasses. I never tried it on the plastic lenses.

Alum does different things. It closes the pores and tones the skin after shaving. The WH is a milder skin toner and astringent and just feels good.

If you go to the thayers site you will see they have many more varieties of WH and you can order directly from them. I buy the stuff by the case!

Top Bottom