What's new

The toughest of the tough

Ok. I have my technique down pretty good. I take my time with short passes. I am using the sharpest blades recommended including feathers and my beard always wins. WTG, XTG, and ATG just to get a decent shave. Without ATG it wouldn't even look like I have shaved. I also shave my head which I have no problems with. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that my whiskers are just that tough. I always shower before I shave and let the cream/soap sit for a few minutes after face lathering. I never use a blade more than twice.

Razor: 38c
Blades: Feathers, Gillette 7 o'clock yellows, Derby's (Vertical)

I don't think you're out of line. I need 3 full passes with a HD/feather for a clean shave and I don't think I have particularly heavy beard.

I would agree that your experience does not seem out of line. You might try a more "aggressive" razor. I find that a Slant or some open combs remove more hair in fewer passes. Just my experience, and a good excuse to try more razors.

It takes me 3 passes to get the shave I want. I know some people make 4 passes in their shave. As long as your skin is not getting irritated with the number of passes, I think you are fine. As mentioned, you can try an adjustable razor on a more aggressive setting as an option. You'll also discover little things in technique that can improve your shave over time.

I would agree that your experience does not seem out of line. You might try a more "aggressive" razor. I find that a Slant or some open combs remove more hair in fewer passes. Just my experience, and a good excuse to try more razors.

+1.. Might even pay to look at an adjustable either vintage or new

I've got a couple of spots on my neck either side of the Adam's apple that are almost impossible to shave... That is until I concentrate on getting my blade angle perfect. I can't shave these spots east west without extreme discomfort, and causing massive irritation. Maybe more aggressive is not the way to go. When I shave with my Weishi (the Weishi being the mildest razor known to mankind) I'm forced to really concentrate on technique. The results are that I can sometimes get a better shave on these spots with my Weishi than I can with my Slim set on 8.

The only improvement I can recommend would be to massage the lather into your whiskers with your fingers just after face lathering to help "break them down" a little. Seems to help me a little in the prep.

- Chris

Try adding another XTG pass. For me to get a really close & comfortable shave sometimes takes a lot of buffing through all the passes. If I had to define a pass as one swipe with the blade, it's often 10 or more. I try to cut to the right length with each pass before moving to the next, so the ATG pass might require a good bit of touch up XTG before actually going ATG. Usually, I end up moving my passes finer than 90 degrees. For example, WTG, 60 degrees, 90, 135, 180, which is as much as 8 passes--some of the middle 3 are from both directions. Not that I do 8 passes--it's more rotation and changing angle through the buffing.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok. I have my technique down pretty good. I take my time with short passes. I am using the sharpest blades recommended including feathers and my beard always wins. WTG, XTG, and ATG just to get a decent shave. Without ATG it wouldn't even look like I have shaved. I also shave my head which I have no problems with. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that my whiskers are just that tough. I always shower before I shave and let the cream/soap sit for a few minutes after face lathering. I never use a blade more than twice.

Razor: 38c
Blades: Feathers, Gillette 7 o'clock yellows, Derby's (Vertical)

I'm in the same boat, even when using a straight razor. I get more shaves out of a DE blade though . . . about 5.

I've come full circle and I'm using essentially the same products now that I started out with a couple years back, and it's incredible how much my shave has improved. Guessing by your join date you only have a couple months of DE under your belt, I would just keep working on technique, try new products, note what works and incorporate that into your routine. In 6 months you'll be amazed at the progression you've made.

Top Bottom