What's new

sizing a leather watch band

I have a couple vintage watches (Elgin, Tudor) that seem to take a 16mm band, but they actually measure a bit smaller (15.8mm lug-to-lug or so). Is it normal to be a bit small, or does that mean they take a 15mm band (which seem to be difficult to find)? I ordered a 16mm and plan on trimming it a touch to get it to fit. Is that commonly done? It seems to be what they did with the existing bands that are on them currently.

Ben

Even though lug widths are supposed to be standard you'd be surprised how many aren't quite what they are supposed to be. If there is only a 1mm difference and its a larger strap you can usually get away with it and it looks fine. It can be hard to trim and have it come out looking good especially with some leathers. You need a really sharp cutter and you need to be precise.

It is always better to err on the side of a slightly wider strap than one that is too narrow. If the difference is less than 1mm you shouldn't have any problem squeezing a regular strap in between the lugs without even trimming it.

I wouldn't trim it - it will look bad. Lug widths can vary slightly as can the width of straps - a 16mm strap is not going to be exactly 16.00000 mm wide. It's a leather product, some expensive ones are even hand made, after all. Better to err on the side of being slightly too wide - it will probably fit. A strap that's too narrow between the lugs will look bad - sort of like pants that are a cuffed a couple of inches too short.

It is always better to err on the side of a slightly wider strap than one that is too narrow. If the difference is less than 1mm you shouldn't have any problem squeezing a regular strap in between the lugs without even trimming it.

Yeah, half a mil across the entire band will be fine. I've cut bands in the pasty but you can never get them exact and a tiny squeeze will do the trick.

Should have it soon...I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the advice!

Ben

Yep, the band should compress a little and fit fine without trimming. The old Zenith I've got on isn't perfectly spaced, either, but an 18mm fit fine and looks good.

Good luck with your vintage watches - they're wonderful.

The new band was waiting for me when I got home last night. I tried it out and it definitely wasn't going together without a bit of trimming. I took one of my X-acto knives (one with a very wide blade that looks more like a chisel) and delicately started making super thin slices around the spring bar hole. It didn't take much and then it went together nicely. You can see where it was trimmed when the band is flexed and you look at it from the side, but it's not super obvious. I don't think there's a band that will work without some trimming so I'm happy with it. I'll post some pics later tonight.

Ben

Top Bottom