What's new

eBay Caveat

OK, I haven't been at this too long, but this has gotta be a mistake ebay_link. I know that's not a fat boy and I'm pretty sure it's not a 40s anything.

Is it worth saying anything to the seller?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
It is a Gillette NEW and the seller is guilty of what eBay calls "keyword spamming" or using terms in the auction title or description to call attention to an auction although it is NOT what the seller is offerring. I'm certain this seller is using the current up trend in prices of Gillette 1-9 Adjustable "Fat Boy" Razors to hopefully get him or her more visits and result in a sale. This auction could be reported to eBay for this violation because it is a misleading title as well.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Most likely that would be the vintage. The main error of course is the misrepresentaion or "puffing" of it as a "Fat Boy" which the seller truthfully indicates that Gillette never used as an actual name for a razor. It has become slang for the Adjustable 1-9 Gillette with the base of the handle that measures a full 1/2 inch.

I would say definitely bring it to the seller's attention. But fortunately for us, he's included good, clear photos of the razor which make it easily identifiable as not a Fat Boy. I'm sure its just an honest mistake by a not-so-informed seller.

Keep in mind too that some similar auctions will get posted without the right keywords "Fat Boy," "Aristocrat," etc -- due to a seller not knowing anything specific about the razor in their possession, when they actually have something that may be quite soughtafter if it was properly identified as such.

Someone else beat me to it in telling the seller. But, to his credit he changed the description right away. However, he still lists it as a TTO model even tho pics clearly show a 3 piece. I'll let you all know if I get a response from him/her.

Top Bottom