What's new

Start with a Safety Razor or Straight

I'm new so wondering if there is a correct order here ?

Tried all the Fushion razors and really cant afford the expensive stuff out there.

There's no correct order. Some people start with a DE and stay there. I started with a straight because I was attracted by a connection to the past, a symbol of manliness and because I like difficult things that require technique. Your choice will depend on where you want to end up. Straight shaving is somewhat more complex than DE shaving and entirely wonderful ... something you won't understand until you master it but, to be fair, it's not for everyone and no criticism is intended.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Depends, its a question on what you want to do. Both could be "cheap" to start with or "expensive"...

Learn to make a good lather with soap or a good cream before you switch to either. I wish that's the way I did it, I'd be one scar less.

Suggestion, start with the safety razor and then move onto the straight razor. If you are use to your fusion, then safety razor is the best choice. Since Straight Razor requires more experience and i think it is easier to get a cut from a straight then a safety. ** Have you seen Swayne Todd? (Spelled Wrong I think)... Easy throat cut!...

My 2 cents!

Well, this can be a difficult question to answer. I started with straight razor shaving and migrated to DE. However, if I had to do it all over again I would start with DE and leave straight razor shaving for while and pick it up later as an interesting skill.

If money is the major reason to switch then DE shaving is the way to go. You can pick up DE razors and blades for fairly cheap. Straight razors require additional gear, such as a strop, which adds to the initial start up cost and there is more maintenance, such as honing.

I say start with a DE because to me anyone can use a DE and start getting really good shaves pretty quickly. You have to really want to learn to use a straight; and put the time in to learn the technique, and how to maintain the edge. So, I'd say get yourself a DE first and then when you have the time and the urge to really learn with a straight go for that, and then you will always have the DE for quick jobs.

Good luck!
J.

In terms of "ease of learning and speed to mastery", from easiest/quickest to hardest/longest, important skills are ranked as follows:

1. Lathering with a brush and proper soap/cream.
2. DE or SE shaving
3. Straight shaving

That said, it really depends on what you want to accomplish. The skills needed for any of these 3 don't really carry over to the others so learning one won't necessarily help you learn the other (except so far as trying to learn 1 thing at a time is easier than learning 2.)

The learning curve on the DE is much easier and faster than a straight. Also DE Shaving is much less expensive initially.

You can snag a nice used Gillette for under $10. Blades are cheap.

Or you could go the single edge route. Those razors are very good, and very inexpensive.

I went from Fusion -> DE -> straight (still working this one). In hind-sight, I liked this route because it afforded me the opportunity to "learn" my beard and, as others have said, how to make a good lather, and a good lather is half the shave. During this process, I didn't have the added complexity to learn any new grips or wonder if my blade was "sharp enough" or how to strop, etc. etc. Now that I have leared my face and can make good lather, and repeatably get BBS without irritation from a DE, I have moved on to straight shaving because I have a desire to. That last part is real important IMHO.

- Jason

There is quite the learning curve with a straight (but it's also a lot of fun), however, that learning curve is made eons worse if you don't yet know how to generate a proper lather with a brush, and shaving cream/ soap.

Millions of men, tens, maybe hundreds of millions of men for hundreds of years have used straight razors.

You won't go wrong with either a straight of a DE.

Top Bottom