What's new

Bevel not set or just uneven?

I have been trying to hone a dovo silver steel and I'm having a helluva time. I notice that the bevel is wider at the toe and the heel, and barely visible in the center of the blade. It was honed professionally before I received it, and I think it was a bit uneven then. Anyway, does this mean that the bevel is not set properly? Is there a warp in the blade? Is it my technique? If I stay on the 1K for a long time, will it even out? THanks for your help. This is my first problem razor. I have the Shaptons and I coticule.

I have been trying to hone a dovo silver steel and I'm having a helluva time. I notice that the bevel is wider at the toe and the heel, and barely visible in the center of the blade. It was honed professionally before I received it, and I think it was a bit uneven then. Anyway, does this mean that the bevel is not set properly? Is there a warp in the blade? Is it my technique? If I stay on the 1K for a long time, will it even out? THanks for your help. This is my first problem razor. I have the Shaptons and I coticule.
This may be a slightly warped blade. Two things to do:

1. Use a black marker on the bevel before honing. After honing look to see if all the black is removed. Black remaining means that part is not touching the hone.

2. Mix a little liquid soap in the water and watch how the water flows over the blade when you hone. Water flowing under, and not over, means that part of the blade is not touching the hone.

If you detect parts of the blade not touching, the best thing to do might be to get a narrower hone or at least to bring that part of the blade to the edge and hone just that part in addition to your normal X stroke.

U

Utopian

The width of the bevel is irrelevant. A bevel is set when a perfect "V" shape is formed along the entire length of the blade. If the bevel is not fully set, then some parts of the edge will still have a "U" shape.

The width of the bevel is irrelevant. A bevel is set when a perfect "V" shape is formed along the entire length of the blade. If the bevel is not fully set, then some parts of the edge will still have a "U" shape.
You're right, of course. I jumped to the conclusion that parts of the razor weren't sharp.

The center of the blade tends not to be as sharp as the toe and heel. For example, after honing, the toe and heel will pass the HHT, the center will not. I have honed for quite a while on the 1K, including X strokes, without much progress. I think it is warped. I will try the marker test later.

Top Bottom