What's new

Need help identifying a razor

Got this one from Country Joe. I looked at it for months before deciding to get it. largely because I haven't seen another. Turns out, it's a good shaver with a sharp blade like a Shark. I think it would be fantastic with a Feather. It's milder than I thought it would be. Not as mild as a Ming Shi. More like a Tech. I thought it would be more aggressive, based on the comb design. It's great for mowing down a few days growth, yet mild enough for everyday. Not quite BBS, but today was the first time I tried it with a good blade. I tried it once before with a Dorco 300 and it was about as effective as shaving with a ball bearing. With the Shark Super Stainless, it went through 3 days growth like it was nothing. I think a Feather blade would really bring out the best in this razor.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have no info about this one. Would love to know who made it and when/where.
It cost me $16.00 with shipping and I'm not complaining. It's in fantastic condition and it works very well.
I have noticed that, being Bakelite, the top plate and guard bar don't glide across the skin as smoothly as a plated brass razor, so I wipe it down with a little baby oil pre and post shave.
All in all, it's a very good shaver for me. Does a better job than a Mach 3 and doesn't leave me with any irritation at all. I had one nick with it, where I shaved over a bump caused by my 1983-1984 Atra. I know I shouldn't use cartridge razors, but I needed a quick shave the other day and used the old Atra because I have new blades for it and it doesn't tear me up as badly as the Mach 3.

Last edited:
With the exception of the hump in the middle of the top plate, yes, it does.
The handle shape is right. Reminds me of a plastic tech handle. Must have been a popular handle shape at one time.
I shaved with it today using my best approximation of superlather given the products on hand. I've paid more for razors that weren't nearly as good. In some ways I feel like I may have overpaid, but this one is in sweet condition and it works well. I guess I really can't complain. I like it so far. Just wish I knew more about it. I thought it may be a European or Commie razor of some sort from the 1940s-1950s.

Cool. I read your thread on shimming. I think I smell a new project. I have a couple of dull blades I can sacrifice and I have some sheet metal snips.

Top Bottom