What's new

Tutorial: How to face lather with shaving cream

This is a good technique because I just came back from traveling and was without the luxury of having my shaving bowl with me.

Face lathering imho is the most effective method for face prep / lathering. It requires closer attention than bowl lathering. With softer creams i.e. proraso, AoS, C&E, or sometimes Trumpers (depending on the tub you get), I'll use the "shave stick method" as shown on this thread. For thicker, firmer, and more dense creams i.e. AdP or TOBS, I treat them like a firm soap and load my brush directly into the bowl. Some will say it effects the quality of the cream over time, but I personally have not noticed any negative correlation between loading the brush directly into the shave cream tub. YMMV.

Thanks for the tutorial. Just in time for the arrival of my Trumper's sample pack. I was wondering what I'd do with creams!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the tutorial. Just in time for the arrival of my Trumper's sample pack. I was wondering what I'd do with creams!

With those creams in those little sample jar, you don't have much of a choice than scooping them out with your finger or an icicle stick (popsicle)...

With those creams in those little sample jar, you don't have much of a choice than scooping them out with your finger or an icicle stick (popsicle)...

Well, I used my finger on some Trumper's GFT shaving cream, did a face lather, and might be a convert to cream! It was much slicker than soap! I'll use my brush to get it out when it's running low, but I think that Trumper's was smart to have such cheap sample packs. I'll be ordering some cream before too long.

Nice job, plain and simple instructions. I am going to try a cream now. I never liked lathering in a bowl, thus I gave up on it and would face lather from a puck or use a shave stick. I will try this on my next shave. :)

I used this method today and while I still need to perfect my technique (I was using a new Simpson CH1 and the brush did not hold lather for subsequent passes), it was quite possibly my smoothest shave yet. Much, much more glide that I've gotten from making my lather in a scuttle. You lose the beautiful bowl of sour cream rich lather but make up for it with the face massage and all that slickness on the blade.

I have been using your method since I read this a little while back and it works very well. It's how I use all my creams now.

Thanks Luc, I've been face lathering with soap, but mug lathering with cream. I'll give this a try tomorrow morning.

Good show Luc! This is an amazing tutorial with clear, concise instructions. I use an extremely similar method.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks everyone, happy it helps!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Was very nice this morning. Think I'll be incorporating both face and bowl lathering in the future.

Top Bottom