What's new

Tutorial: How to face lather with shaving cream

I face lather with soaps only, finding creams only give me enough for 1 or 1 1/2 passes.

Never thought to add the cream to my face rather than the brush. An interesting technique. I will try it tomorrow (well, the day after tomorrow...I've already promised my Tobac the morning shave!)

I tried face lathering with cream for the first time this morning, although I put a snurdle of Bigelow cream into the brush itself instead of on my face and then just started swirling the brush gently on my face. It worked out great and I built plenty of lather, at least enough for three passes. Definitely a technique worth remembering and it will help me clear off my bathroom counter a bit.

Only used cream 4 times so far, having started and continued with soaps. I have found that loading the brush in the same way as with a soap works equally as well for me. There's obviously no right or wrong way to this, whatever suits you best.

David

This is my preferred method for creams, but I figured most people simply applied it to the brush. Never noticed this tutorial before. I got some of the nicest lather I've ever shaved with using this method, my VDH brush, and the Body Shop Maca Root Cream.

I do however find that when I do this with the Real Shaving Company stuff that the lather doesn't last past one pass. Because of my past success, I suspect it's more the fault of the product than the method.

I prefer the bowl because after the 1st pass, I'm afraid a face lather would irritate the freshly shaved skin.
Would anyone care to refute?

I'll refute that. I face lather - none of this bowl start, finish face business - and ordinarily shave with a straight razor (like Luc) for 2 passes, sometimes with a touch up. Normal routine is across, and then against the grain, maybe doing a little touch up if I'm not completely satisfied with my efforts. No irritation whatsoever.

This is an approach I had not tried; it's like a bit of "shave stick theory" applied to face lathering cream. I typically would face lather creams the same as soaps; swirl the brush around the surface of the cream for a sec (far less time that I would for soap) but if I'm honest, the amount of cream pick-up isn't always reliable.

Good show, Luc. This is certainly worth trying!

Top Bottom