What's new

Carbon Steel Pella GEM blades big no no...

Do not buy these for shaving dudes! I just tried one and oh boy! my skin paid for it. I got a lot of irritation. Go with their PTFE stainless steel blades instead. damn ... irritation + Aqua velva = Iced face

Do not buy these for shaving dudes! I just tried one and oh boy! my skin paid for it. I got a lot of irritation. Go with their PTFE stainless steel blades instead. damn ... irritation + Aqua velva = Iced face

I'll bet they're rusting as we speak! There's a reason I call them the Vega of Blades.

oh yeah... :drool:

why didn't you warn me dude :(

I have warned people many times about those blades. I even posted photos! Here is the thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109868
And here is a photo:

attachment.php

By comparison the blue carbon steel PAL blades are much better.

dang.. well I am very grateful for that GEM Junior you sold me. It has given me the best shaves ever:001_wub: except with these carbon blades.:crying:

Well Guys those stainless begin shipping monday... see the thread to see if you are on Mondays release

So, is it possible that I find it impossible to love my beautiful, new 1912 because I'm using the Carbon Steel Treet drugstore blades? I'm assuming these are carbon steel blades. They're not rusting, but I am very careful to dry them after using. I guess I can tell if they're carbon or not with a magnet.

Anyway, I find it tough to get a nice shave on my 'trouble spots' using the 1912 and these blades. I guess I should try the PTFE blades before I write-off my single edges.

Last edited:
So, is it possible that I find it impossible to love my beautiful, new 1912 because I'm using the Carbon Steel Treet drugstore blades? I'm assuming these are carbon steel blades. They're not rusting, but I am very careful to dry them after using. I guess I can tell if they're carbon or not with a magnet.

Anyway, I find it tough to get a nice shave on my 'trouble spots' using the 1912 and these blades. I guess I should try the PTFE blades before I write-off my single edges.

I would definitely try the PTFE blades first. Do you have any photos?

I've been using carbon steel blades that I got at CVS and take them out of the razor after each use and dry them off. It's a hassle, no doubt, but the shaves I get with the 1912 are phenomenal and make it worth the trouble. I get only about three shave on each one of these blades, since some oxidization to blade edge still occurs even after attempting to wipe them.

I can hardly wait until the SS coated versions from the "group buy" arrive and that problem will be solved.

DD

I'm using the Treet carbon steel blades in my 1912 and Micromatic and love them. I get BBS shaves that last all day long. I get 3 good shaves with them before they get relegated to the toolbox. I wash my razors and blades and soak them in alcohol before putting them away, post shave, regardless of whether the blades are carbon or stainless.
Magnet won't tell you if it's stainless or carbon. Only certain stainless alloys are nonmagnetic.
If you want to dump your carbon steel Treet blades, and possibly your Gem razor too, off on someone, hit me up. I'd be interested. I like them so much, I'm going to teach my sons to shave with them when they're old enough.

I feel your pain on the trouble spots. SE razors are harder to get into some spots because of head width/necessary blade angle.
I must admit, it's always pucker factor 10 when I go ATG on my upper lip with a Gem.
That said, the SE razors are easier on my face while giving me a better shave than Injectors. I really hate that because I really want to like my injectors, especially the Pal adjustable that was a freebie thrown in with a lot of razors I bought from a lady on the bay.

Last edited:
I'm going to keep trying. I've only had a couple of shaves with the 1912/Treets.

My cheeks and chin get BBS, but my neck is a nightmare. I've tried like heck to get my neck smooth, but I can't. I can get decent closeness, but definitely not BBS...barely DFS --with a lot of burn when I go ATG. I'll work on the angle, and try the PTFE blades.

I know that I can shave my neck to BBS without irritation, though, because I do it all the time with my DE razors and Feathers/Astras/Iridiums. Therefore, I know I need a very sharp blade to get my neck comfortably BBS. I can pop a Feather into a Slant and be BBS with zero irritation for a good 8 hours.

I have a place on my neck that is hard for me to get BBS. The Gems and the Gillettes with a Shark or Derby blade take care of it.

What does DFS mean? I know what Baby Bum Smooth is but don't have a clue as to what DFS is.:confused1

The Gems can be harder to use due to the larger flat surface of the head. I have to keep mine good and wet to keep it from dragging. But when it's right, it's RIGHT.:001_wub:
I've thought about oiling the top plate with baby oil to make it slicker while shaving.

I have a place on my neck that is hard for me to get BBS. The Gems and the Gillettes with a Shark or Derby blade take care of it.

What does DFS mean? I know what Baby Bum Smooth is but don't have a clue as to what DFS is.:confused1

The Gems can be harder to use due to the larger flat surface of the head. I have to keep mine good and wet to keep it from dragging. But when it's right, it's RIGHT.:001_wub:
I've thought about oiling the top plate with baby oil to make it slicker while shaving.

DFS = Damn Fine Shave

Ahh, Grasshopper see. DFS is what I got today with my unknown make/model/year brown Bakelite DE razor today.

I don't have that problem, because I never use the head flat across the face. I lift the head up a few degrees - you'll know that sweet spot when hit it by the audible feedback - and consistently get great shaves from the GEMs.

I'm going to grab some PTFE Ted Pella blades and see if they make a difference. I'm pretty sure I've got the angle just right, it just feels like the blade might not be for me. Much like so many of the DE blades just can't get the job done in certain areas on my neck for whatever reason.

Top Bottom