What's new

blade question from noob.

S

stubble trouble

What is ball park life of platinum coated merkur DE blades (or DE blades in general)? What are the signs that a blade is ready for disposal?

thanks,
scott

Depends on the user and his particular beard. Sometimes a blade works well for me for 4-5 shaves but usually I change after 3 shaves. Occasionally the blade doesn't feel right during the first shave so I toss it. When the shave is uncomfortable with good solid prep and technique it is time to get a new blade in the razor.

Greyfox nailed it. I usually change after 3 as blades are so cheap I don't see the need squeeze every last pass out of a blade.

1. A sensation of pulling, rather than cutting, the whisker.

2. Irritation after the shave (assuming your technique is solid).

+1 Anytime it feels like the blade is pulling, you know that either it's time for a new blade or that that particular brand of blade is not sharp enough for you.

The Merkur blades that came with my Merkur HD were not sharp enough for me. I tried Derby's and then Israeli Personnas and then Feathers. The Derby's weren't sharp enough, but I was very satisfied with both the Personnas and the Feathers.

If you look under the blade you reviews, you might be able to get a rough idea of blade sharpness and smoothness by brand.

Depends on the user and his particular beard. Sometimes a blade works well for me for 4-5 shaves but usually I change after 3 shaves. Occasionally the blade doesn't feel right during the first shave so I toss it. When the shave is uncomfortable with good solid prep and technique it is time to get a new blade in the razor.

Sounds about right. I change blades every Sunday morning regardless of how many times I shaved on it (when you've as many concussions as me you get forgetful so I make routines)...however if a blade doesn't feel right it gets binned immediately.

L

Likeke

Refusing to pay ridiculous prices for new disposable blades, I've dusted off my old ER 1912. Making a practice run I realize how difficult it is to shave the upper lip below the nose. The ER requires one to shave up because its too dang big to shave down. I'm anticipating that with a blade in the razor I'm going to cut myself on the first attempt. Any tips on how to avoid this?

Top Bottom