What's new

Cheaper alternative to Proraso ASB????

Proraso ASB is the first ASB ive used that actually stops all razor burn pain in its tracks.

I went out and bought some Niva soothing ASB and i can still feel razor burn pain, if i put on some Proraso, the pain goes completely away, its so soothing.

I lost the box the Proraso came in, so i cannot compare ingredients, but i know Proraso has Witch Hazel in it, could that be the key ingredient? or is there something else in it that i am not aware of

And is there a cheaper alternative? i cant afford spending 12.99 on a 3.3 Oz bottle

Using a dime to nickel sized amount (leaning towards the dime) on a wet face, a bottle should last you some time. It's not expensive by quality AS standards. It's my go to ASB.

I'm not sure why you aren't getting good results with the Nivea. Are you using the Extra Sensitive? An alternative? Brut AS Lotion with Aloe and Shea is fantastic if you don't mind smelling like Brut. A bit heavier than the other two mentioned here, but a small amount on a wet face goes a ways.

i cant afford spending 12.99 on a 3.3 Oz bottle

A little of the Proraso ASB goes a long way, so it lasts a long time. I've been using it almost every day for about three months now, and in that time I've only used about 40% of what's in the bottle. Looking at it that way, it's not that expensive.

ive only got half a bottle left after 2 weeks, I was using WAY to much, now i only use a pea sized amount with wet hands so it gets distributed better, I guess it just felt so good, i diddnt care at the time about the amount i was using

I am using Nivia sensitive soothing after shave balm, the non-alcohol formula, I shaved today about 4 hours ago, put some Nivia on, and i still can feel some burn. This was pure balm, i used no water to dilute the balm

I did the same thing yesterday. Then, before i went to bed, i put some Proraso on, it burnt like hell for a few seconds, then the pain went COMPLETELY away, its the best A/S ive ever used in my life.

Here ya go....

Nivea Extra Soothing Balm(new formulation):
proxy.php

Proraso Liquid Cream:
proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Brut moisturizing a/s with aloe and shea butter is less than half the price,:thumbup1: and works quite well.

Take a look at the SCS AS products. They were on sale recently, probably priced between Poraso and Nivea. I thought the Poraso too expensive until
I accidently bought a bottle. The bottle was on in a $5.99 spot on the shelf and rang up $12.99 at the check-out. I bought it anyway and once I tried it, I really liked it. And it lasts a long time. For the record, I also use Nivea and SCS AS products.

Norm

Wet your hands and try the Nivea Extra Soothing Balm with a couple of drops of Thayer's Witch Hazel. Rub hands and apply.

The Proraso ASB has to be hard to beat. I use it every day and have since I started back using a DE. I really don't have anything to compare it to, but I seem to have blundered onto some of the best out of ignorance and pure chance. Good thing. The rest of the DE experience has been up and down depending upon the blade.

Wet your hands and try the Nivea Extra Soothing Balm with a couple of drops of Thayer's Witch Hazel. Rub hands and apply.

Good point

By comparing Proraso and Nivea balm's formulations , I can tell why he has more soothing effect from the Proraso : I think it might be the Witch Hazel

I agree with SilverKarn here. The nivea just doesn't cut it anymore. I had an old bottle that worked as he described the proraso. I bought a new bottle of nivea a month or two ago and used it. It didn't sooth at all like the old formula did for me. Like him, if I had any irritation or burn, this new formula didn't handle it well if at all.

John

I agree with SilverKarn here. The nivea just doesn't cut it anymore. I had an old bottle that worked as he described the proraso. I bought a new bottle of nivea a month or two ago and used it. It didn't sooth at all like the old formula did for me. Like him, if I had any irritation or burn, this new formula didn't handle it well if at all.

John

True the new Nivea is not as soothing as the old; still a bit soothing tho'

I just found out the Proraso splash has witch hazel in it too.

i'm pretty sure when my local target gets more Proraso stuff in, i'm gonna go there any buy 3 bottles each of the ASB and splash

And is there a cheaper alternative? i cant afford spending 12.99 on a 3.3 Oz bottle

Actually what makes Proraso so soothing are the glycerides, glycerines, and the allantoins. The Witch Hazel is an astringent and does not cause soothing...it reallys causes the pores of the face to constrict giving that tightening effect as with Alum.

John

When did the reformulation occur? Recent weeks? Months? A year?

I think I've still got 2 or 3 bottles purchased several months ago when the store was running a pretty good sale on it. I don't use it as much any more and was surprised when I found the bottles in the back of the vanity cabinet the other day.

though not a balm, i find Aqua Velva destroys irritation (albeit with a very short intense burning sensation)
I don't like the Aqua Velva Balm smell as much as the AS, but the balm version moisturizes

I've never used the Aqua Velva ASB without using the AS first though

This past weekend I stopped in at a German import and picked up some Kaloderma. This stuff performs like the Nivea should. I prefer the Chamomile scent of the Nivea, but the Kaloderma is thicker and more soothing. Very nice. Out with the Nivea, in with the Kaloderma.

Top Bottom