What's new

Scottish razors?

Hi guys,
I read a lot about Sheffield, Solingen and even Swedish razors, but are the Scottish razors any good?

I saw a razor from Glasgow, Scotland in an Antique store, with a Spanish point. It was quite nice, but the guy wanted megabucks for it.

What manufacturers were there in Glasgow?

Cheers

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What was the name of the one in Glasgow? I've never heard of them but I would think they would be good!

Buy it.

I had a Macfarlane, or something like that....nice beefy wedge, like any Sheffield razor.:thumbup1:

EDIT: forget it, I didn't see the part about the guy wanting megabucks for it....

I've never seen a razor made in Scotland - although the Scots doubtless had the steel and skills! I guess it was a 'horses for courses' thing - if you were a Scot you went into engineering or built bridges or large civil works, things the Scots have always excelled at. If you were a Sheffield man you made fine steel. Incidentally, most cutlery in the UK was made in London, not Sheffield, until about the turn of the 19th century as the London Guilds jealously guarded their virtual monopoly on cutlery production. So after this stranglehold was loosened Sheffield began producing fine cutlery - including of course razors. I would guess that your razor is Sheffield made for that Scots retailer.

I've never seen a razor made in Scotland - although the Scots doubtless had the steel and skills! I guess it was a 'horses for courses' thing - if you were a Scot you went into engineering or built bridges or large civil works, things the Scots have always excelled at.

Just for yucks, and at the risk of hijacking this thread, what do the English think the Irish are good at? :001_smile

Top Bottom