What's new

Any rare straights?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I often steal someone's else idea and this thread is no different (see http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143871).

I liked the idea but the above thread is for DE and I would be curious to see what other members would have that qualify as a rare straight...

Post your pictures!

In my collection, what comes to mind:

Filarmonica #13 with blue scales. This one was restored so I will post more pictures later. I've never seen a Filarmonica with scales that blue...
attachment.php

Second, 7/8 - The Hamburg Ring - ERN - 1914 - Made in Germany. I have an actual 1914 stamped on the tang. I wouldn't think there would be a lot of 1914 German razors around because of the war...
attachment.php

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I often steal someone's else idea and this thread is no different (see http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143871).

I liked the idea but the above thread is for DE and I would be curious to see what other members would have that qualify as a rare straight...

Post your pictures!

In my collection, what comes to mind:

Filarmonica #13 with blue scales. This one was restored so I will post more pictures later. I've never seen a Filarmonica with scales that blue...

Second, 7/8 - The Hamburg Ring - ERN - 1914 - Made in Germany. I have an actual 1914 stamped on the tang. I wouldn't think there would be a lot of 1914 German razors around because of the war...

Beautiful razors Luc!
But they are either very tiny, or that is one HUGE beer coaster! :lol:

Luc

Staff member
It's a huge beer coaster... :lol:

The other side of the ERN showing the date...

Luc

Staff member
Wow, impressive pictures!!

I have a straight marked H. Berkele on the tang. The only thing I could find out was that this maker worked in NY 1906-1907 and was successfully sued by Boker for trademark infringement. There is a faint Boker-like tree on the very tattered original box. The blade no longer has any of the complained of etching as mentioned in the case, which was Boker v. Korkemas, et al. I did look on the web and found a site that said no known examples of this maker's razors were known, but clearly there is at least the one :001_smile

I have a straight marked H. Berkele on the tang. The only thing I could find out was that this maker worked in NY 1906-1907 and was successfully sued by Boker for trademark infringement. There is a faint Boker-like tree on the very tattered original box. The blade no longer has any of the complained of etching as mentioned in the case, which was Boker v. Korkemas, et al. I did look on the web and found a site that said no known examples of this maker's razors were known, but clearly there is at least the one :001_smile
Any pictures??

I've got a pair of J. H. Potter with genuine ivory scales.

The company changed name from J. H. Potter to J. P. Potter & Sons in 1922, so they are quite old, and I would think the scales makes them rare as well - they don't just look good, they shave great as well :001_smile

proxy.php

Luc

Staff member
Nice pictures Gents! Keep them coming!

In no special order:

1. A Wade & Butcher - The Ottoman Egyptian and Royal Windsor Razor. I've only seen one other one.

proxy.php

2. Heljestrands Mk. 31s are not uncommon, even in Ivory. Real tortoiseshell? Fairly rare.

proxy.php

3. Korff & Honsberg 7/8.

proxy.php

Enough for now...

Luc

Staff member
Very nice pieces Henry! Love that first one!

I would be curious to see what other members would have that qualify as a rare straight...

There are very few razors that I would consider "rare" - that's kind of by definition. If somebody else on these forums has one then that's a good clue it's not really that rare. This would exclude pumaducks (which come up on ebay every few months), TIPTLEs (available retail for the last 5 years), DePews (frequently available on ebay), and even tortoise Heljestrands pretty as they are (I've got one, and have seen multiple 5- and 7-day sets of them on ebay france over the years). I wouldn't even consider the Chronik to be rare anymore since there are a good half-dozen of them running around now, nor the 8/8 TI Damascus since there were five of them made. The tamahagane Iwasaki western-style razor is rare on these forums, but there are apparently hundreds (maybe thousands) of these in Japan, so even that one isn't really rare in the larger sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom