What's new

Any rare straights?

There are very few razors that I would consider "rare" - that's kind of by definition. If somebody else on these forums has one then that's a good clue it's not really that rare. This would exclude pumaducks (which come up on ebay every few months), TIPTLEs (available retail for the last 5 years), DePews (frequently available on ebay), and even tortoise Heljestrands pretty as they are (I've got one, and have seen multiple 5- and 7-day sets of them on ebay france over the years). I wouldn't even consider the Chronik to be rare anymore since there are a good half-dozen of them running around now, nor the 8/8 TI Damascus since there were five of them made. The tamahagane Iwasaki western-style razor is rare on these forums, but there are apparently hundreds (maybe thousands) of these in Japan, so even that one isn't really rare in the larger sense.
There is a place here in US that you can get them so not rare, only very expensive.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'd imagine a Sheffield Cutler/Forge that was only in existence for months rather than years.... Though their work was high quality? Historians?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There are very few razors that I would consider "rare" - that's kind of by definition. If somebody else on these forums has one then that's a good clue it's not really that rare. This would exclude pumaducks (which come up on ebay every few months), TIPTLEs (available retail for the last 5 years), DePews (frequently available on ebay), and even tortoise Heljestrands pretty as they are (I've got one, and have seen multiple 5- and 7-day sets of them on ebay france over the years). I wouldn't even consider the Chronik to be rare anymore since there are a good half-dozen of them running around now, nor the 8/8 TI Damascus since there were five of them made. The tamahagane Iwasaki western-style razor is rare on these forums, but there are apparently hundreds (maybe thousands) of these in Japan, so even that one isn't really rare in the larger sense.

Agreed that 'rare' by definition is something that wasn't widely marketed or distributed, limited editions, etc...

The way a see it, is things that I don't see very often. The razors in this thread are good examples. They might not be rare by definition but it's not a razor that you will see very often. If you do, well, I probably don't spend enough time in the antique shops myself...

The condition of the razor is another thing. Often on ebay, they will either be in pristine condition with an enormous price-tag or in a very very bad condition...

So, if rare is the wrong word here, that's all right, let's aim for razors that are either not common, something that we don't see very often or a razor that one might think it's the Gem of their collection! :001_smile

All I want to see is pretty pictures or pretty razors!:001_wub:

Two of my razors spring to mind. The first one is a Joseph Elliot that has an outline ive not seen on any other razor. It also has a VR stamp within a cool little cartouche on the blade. Two jimped thumbnotches!!

The second is a Rogers frameback with some very distinctive little notches behind the frameback itself - ive not seen another like it.

picture.php

picture.php

Very cool thread.

Metal lined.
White is linen micarta.
Bands are fiber spacing material for knives
Red is dyed and stabilized curly maple.
Green bead at the third pin position

full

full

full

full

Just shaved with it tonight. :w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is so far the only one I have seen or heard of, no one on SRP could tell me anything about it, so its rare in my book.
Kosumosu 800, 7/8 french point

proxy.php

A few more for ya...

1. A Heljestrand Mk. 33. Heljestrands aren't exactly uncommon, but I've only seen a handful of 33s. Scales are not original.

proxy.php

2. A Veritable Farge. Framebacks are very common. One with this pattern on the blade is unique in my travels.

proxy.php

3. Again, Wostenholms are very common, but I think the condition, the etching and the scrimshaw make this one uncommon if not rare (forgive the less than stellar picture).

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Awesome blades gents!

I can not find the name of the maker right now cause I can't find the file. But, here is the rarest razor I have. Japanese Damascus....

Besides my set of J. H. Potter I would consider this one rare as well.
The blade might not be rare, but as the scales are custom made I think this is one of a kind.

13/16" Belbo with custom scales in amboyna burl and ebony wedge - truly some beautiful work by Ambrose :thumbup:
(the rhino just wandered into the picture :001_smile)

proxy.php

Metal lined.
White is linen micarta.
Bands are fiber spacing material for knives
Red is dyed and stabilized curly maple.
Green bead at the third pin position

full

full

Just shaved with it tonight. :w00t:

Are Torreys rare? I picked this one up last weekend. Its marked “The J.R. Torrey Co.Worcester Mass”. Has a different stamp than the one above plus engraving on the blade w/ whale bone scales. Maybe older / newer?

proxy.php

Engraving on the blade.
proxy.php

Original box.
proxy.php

On the bottom left.
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thread.

Bokers are very common, but they're usually hollow ground (King Cutters, etc.) So I was quite surprised to find this Boker that's distinctly wedge-like.

I also love the shape of the tip: sort of a cross between a barber's notch and a spanish point?

Bonus: I got it cheap and it's a very good shaver.

Wm. Stenton & Son, "AGAIN SUPERIOR", 19/16 (yes, thats almost 10/8). It is patiently waiting to be restored and rescaled. I'm waiting for that perfect / special scale material. ;)

William Stenton was affiliated with Wostenholm, but he went to the USA and ran a cutlery shop in New York. It is more than likely an imported Wosty razor with a stenton stamp (Guess of course)

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I like those straights! Nice pictures!

Top Bottom