What's new

Knife Sharpening

Hey guys,

I've got a Leatherman Skeletool that is going to need some sharpening soon. I have the model with the straight/serrated combination blade, and I'm pretty clueless as to getting it sharp again. I've heard of the "Scary Sharp" system, but I can't seem to find anything that is straight forward on how to do it.

I know the serrated edge may cause some difficulty for a traditional technique, but any help or advice would be great!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Lansky and Gatco both make nice sharpening kits with guides that hold the blade and hone at a constant angle. you can get a round or triangular hone for the kit to take care of the serrated edges.

I have the Gatco Diamond hone sharpening system - it includes the coarse, medium and fine diamond hones along with a triangular stone hone for sharpening the serrated grooves. As Alacrity59 said, it includes a pull-out steel guide rod embedded into each hone block that rests into an oblong groove in the base of the guide/stand. Basically, it's idiot-proof and works great. It also includes a bottle of honing oil, which I find is not needed, as the diamond hones have a perforated surface. If you want to see it in use, there's a 3-part video on Youtube, look for user BLUNTRUTH4U. I recommend watching those videos because following Gatco's directions doesn't cover the "gotchas" that noobs to the system may face; his videos do, however.

Cabela's carries them:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...550302&cm_ite=0006453514317a&_requestid=22704

Another recommendation for the Gatco/Lansky systems. There is nothing I have found that will put such an edge on steel with such ease.

A guy at work was playing with his little pocket knife and explaimed how nice and sharp it was and that he had just had it sharpened. I asked him where he got it done and he said that if you take a knife to a Bass Pro Shop they will sharpen it for a buck. I would assume that a Cabela's would do the same service, if there are any of these in your area that is...

I use a blade tech sharpener. It costs about £10, is dead easy to use and gets the blade nice and sharp.

I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and can get my knives stupid sharp in about 3-5 minutes. They aren't very expensive, either. I think mine ran about $40(?). Don't remember, exactly.

Legion

Staff member
I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and can get my knives stupid sharp in about 3-5 minutes. They aren't very expensive, either. I think mine ran about $40(?). Don't remember, exactly.

I also have the spyderco. Providing the angle of your cutting edge is the same as the angle they have set the stones (which it should be) and you use the corner of the stone rather than the flat side (which is how spyderco recommend sharpening their serrated blades) this system should work well for you.

Spyderco also have sharpening tools for serrations, those are a PITA to sharpen.

For straight edges, I use a small Coghlan's, then my razor strop. Good (fine/very fine) stones are insanely expensive, so most of my knives have been convexed. Then all you need is a mousepad and sanding paper.

Unfortunately, Swiss Army knives/multitools blades are too thin to convex.

Top Bottom