What's new

Really? (H.L. Thater at Straight Razor Designs)

I'm surprised the description for this brush says the hair is Silvertip. It doesn't look like it to me. What am I missing here? If that's Silvertip, it's the best deal in brush-dom. Too bad they don't list the loft, either.

-Andy

I'm surprised the description for this brush says the hair is Silvertip. It doesn't look like it to me. What am I missing here? If that's Silvertip, it's the best deal in brush-dom. Too bad they don't list the loft, either.

-Andy

No kidding. That price doesn't really compute, if the comparables are Shavemac, Rooney and Simpson. Maybe they're more of a small custom shop a la Penworks.

No kidding. That price doesn't really compute, if the comparables are Shavemac, Rooney and Simpson. Maybe they're more of a small custom shop a la Penworks.

Well, they are a small outfit, but they've been around a long time and are located down the road from Shavemac. There's been talk that the two companies trade handles and/or knots, but I don't know if that's true. I just didn't want someone to rush out and buy that brush thinking they'll be getting a Silvertip because I don't think it is. In fact, I've been ogling that brush on a German website for ages now, but I've only ever seen it with Pure grade hair.

-Andy

It is just another company using the term differently. I mean you can buy a "finest" Rooney which is going to quite a bit different than a "finest" from TGN. The brush you have linked is a "Fine" Badger Silver Tip, whereas the more expensive HL Thaters are "Finest" Badger Silver Tip. The most common Rooney is a "Super Silvertip" which is typically $75ish (for the small size) and there is a grade below that called "Silvertip" for $65ish (again, for the small size), which is in the same price range as an HL Thater Fine Silver Tip for $50.

I guess what I am getting at here is - with the the HL Thaters ignore "Silver Tip" because "Fine" and "Finest" are what you are buying.

I can't wait until HL Thater starts offering two-band hair with three-bands.

Last edited:
It's gotta be the mfg taking liberties with the classifications/terminology.

All the Thater brushes on the SRD page that are called "Finest" Silvertip are +$100 and are lighter in appearance.

The 2 Thater brushes that are listed for $42.99 are referred to as "Fine" Silvertip and are noticeably darker in appearance. Looks more like something Rooney or Edwin Jagger would call "Pure"

It's gotta be the mfg taking liberties with the classifications/terminology.

All the Thater brushes on the SRD page that are called "Finest" Silvertip are +$100 and are lighter in appearance.

The 2 Thater brushes that are listed for $42.99 are referred to as "Fine" Silvertip and are noticeably darker in appearance. Looks more like something Rooney or Edwin Jagger would call "Pure"

My thoughts exactly. I think Silvertip shouldn't be used to describe that hair grade. There's nothing "silver" about those tips, and I feel it's misleading nomenclature, especially if one were new to the game. Best, Pure, or some similar term seems more appropriate.

-Andy

Last edited:
Looked them up on a german site, those brushes are described as " finer dachs" not silvertip

Which makes me believe this is the seller's designation, not the maker's. Bandying about the term "Silvertip" is misleading marketing in this case, imo.

-Andy

Probably just an oversight on the website that every brush says "silvertip" at the end of the description. The brush in question clearly says "grey" in the title. I don't think they are trying to pull a fast one...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I was wondering myself and went to their site. Here is what it actually says:
"Serie 4419 - die Preiswerten
Feines Dachshaar "Silberspitze" in hand-
werklicher Perfektion."
This bold marked correctly translated means: Fine Badger Hair "Silvertip"

But if you click on the picture it says:
"Rein-Dachs, grau", handgebunden"
and this means:
Pure Badger, grey, hand-tied

But then on the other hand, Rein-Dachs also can mean there are no other animal hairs than badger in the knot.....

So the whole thing is a bit confusing, but from what I see in the picture, I would say that is a pure badger and not a silvertip, the seller here should correct this on his site. But then, Thaeter already confuses on their site....
http://badger-shavingbrush.com/11.html

Probably just an oversight on the website that every brush says "silvertip" at the end of the description. The brush in question clearly says "grey" in the title. I don't think they are trying to pull a fast one...

Probably not. I was just hoping this thread would prevent someone from buying what they thought was a Silvertip but ending up with Pure or whatever it is. That would be a disappointing hassle.

-Andy

Last edited:
Doesn't silver tip refer to the tips of the hairs having softer split ends rather than just the color? This is the way Ive always taken it. If you just go by color, you can end up with stiffer, solid ends with just a lighter color. A lower grade of hair IMO.

Doesn't silver tip refer to the tips of the hairs having softer split ends rather than just the color? This is the way Ive always taken it. If you just go by color, you can end up with stiffer, solid ends with just a lighter color. A lower grade of hair IMO.

Badger hair tips don't split. They shouldn't, anyway. Boar bristle tips do split, but boar hair isn't graded, as far as I know.

Regarding badger hair, it's predominantly color and softness of tips (among other qualities) that determine hair grade.

-Andy

Badger hair tips don't split. They shouldn't, anyway. Boar bristle tips do split, but boar hair isn't graded, as far as I know.

Regarding badger hair, it's predominantly color and softness of tips (among other qualities) that determine hair grade.

-Andy

I was thinking of "super" badger in which the ends are treated both softening and lightening the ends. Without looking extremely close I figured they had split ends as the ends on them have a fuzzy look to them.

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I had purchased 2 H L Thater shave brushes-not sure if they were finest badger or st-from Bigelow's in NYC for about $70-78 apiece. One had an ebony handle while the other an clear and ebony handle. They both shed like crazy! I don't use them but if I rub over them, bristles still come out. I wasn't sure of the brand until I saw them for sale at Straight Razor design. COuld have been a bad batch made, I don't know, but after that expensive bad experience I won't purchase another Thater brush again.

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I had purchased 2 H L Thater shave brushes-not sure if they were finest badger or st-from Bigelow's in NYC for about $70-78 apiece. One had an ebony handle while the other an clear and ebony handle. They both shed like crazy! I don't use them but if I rub over them, bristles still come out. I wasn't sure of the brand until I saw them for sale at Straight Razor design. COuld have been a bad batch made, I don't know, but after that expensive bad experience I won't purchase another Thater brush again.

I would return or exchange both of those. Thater has an excellent reputation in Germany, and regarding quality, their brushes should be on par with Shavemac.

-Andy

I was wondering myself and went to their site. Here is what it actually says:
"Serie 4419 - die Preiswerten
Feines Dachshaar "Silberspitze" in hand-
werklicher Perfektion."
This bold marked correctly translated means: Fine Badger Hair "Silvertip"

But if you click on the picture it says:
"Rein-Dachs, grau", handgebunden"
and this means:
Pure Badger, grey, hand-tied

But then on the other hand, Rein-Dachs also can mean there are no other animal hairs than badger in the knot.....

So the whole thing is a bit confusing, but from what I see in the picture, I would say that is a pure badger and not a silvertip, the seller here should correct this on his site. But then, Thaeter already confuses on their site....
http://badger-shavingbrush.com/11.html

Clearly ambiguous.

It's not a silvertip.

The problem with their website is that every brush has a description which says "Feines Dachshaar "Silberspitze" in hand-werklicher Perfektion" (when you select one of the series from the list on the left side of their website). Its a copy and paste thing (Silberspitze means silvertip).

But if you click on the picture, as Rudy already mentioned it, you will see a different description for all their brushes. For example, the 4125 series is clearly a silvertip, as described on the text when you click on the picture:

Art.-Nr. 4125/1
Rein-Dachs
Silberspitze
handgebunden
Pinselkopf
Gesamthöhe

The third line from the top identifies the brush's hair quality. The brush from straightrazordesigns is a "Zupf grau", which probably is a pure badger.

But one questions remains: How do they define a pure, best or super/silvertip badger brush and where can one see the difference?
I know that the color is different but keep in mind that every company has its own definitions.

Hope you can follow me. Btw, Rudy translated most of the things - all the important ones - so I didn't bother to translate the rest.

Top Bottom