What's new

Feather AC Blades Not Sharp?

I'm having trouble with My professional Super Blades. They are not sharp enough. Everyone keeps saying that feather makes the Absolute Sharpest Blades, but the Professional Super's are stopped dead in their tracks by a single strand of stubble on my face.:mad3: I have to use considerable force (more than I would would ever want to) to get through the first pass. The second pass is not so bad, but the first pass REQUIRES that I 'push' the blade along.

These blades pass the hanging hair test, but even well-prepared my beard just stops 'em dead in their tracks. Did I get a bad batch of blades, or is it just me? The Feather DE blades in my Gillette just glide through the whiskers, but these Artist Club blades just won't cut it. Pretty uncomfortable shave.

Off-Topic: Mama Bear's soap (dragon's blood), I can't get any Lubrication out of it. Nice lather, but no lubrication. Anyone Else? Just bad technique on my part?:confused1

I'm having trouble with My professional Super Blades. They are not sharp enough. Everyone keeps saying that feather makes the Absolute Sharpest Blades, but the Professional Super's are stopped dead in their tracks by a single strand of stubble on my face.:mad3: I have to use considerable force (more than I would would ever want to) to get through the first pass. The second pass is not so bad, but the first pass REQUIRES that I 'push' the blade along.

These blades pass the hanging hair test, but even well-prepared my beard just stops 'em dead in their tracks. Did I get a bad batch of blades, or is it just me? The Feather DE blades in my Gillette just glide through the whiskers, but these Artist Club blades just won't cut it. Pretty uncomfortable shave.

Off-Topic: Mama Bear's soap (dragon's blood), I can't get any Lubrication out of it. Nice lather, but no lubrication. Anyone Else? Just bad technique on my part?:confused1
How many times have you shaved with Feather AC? When I switched from DE I had the same experience and it is due to different angle/technique/and general feel difference between DE and straight. It has gotten progressively better and experience changed for me after a few weeks. I am not using Super Pros though, I am using Pro blades so I am not sure if it makes any difference.

How many times have you shaved with Feather AC? When I switched from DE I had the same experience and it is due to different angle/technique/and general feel difference between DE and straight. It has gotten progressively better and experience changed for me after a few weeks. I am not using Super Pros though, I am using Pro blades so I am not sure if it makes any difference.

I've been shaving with straights for a while, believe it or not I shaved with a kitchen knife before, it really just feels like the blades to me. Dunno:dots:

I've been shaving with straights for a while, believe it or not I shaved with a kitchen knife before, it really just feels like the blades to me. Dunno:dots:
Donno know then. I have a pretty tough beard and I "feel" the cutting with both - Feather DE and Feather AC blades even when the blade is fresh. I have to admit neither of them feel like I am just sliding a Jedy lightsaber across my face with zero effort, but I definitely don't see any (or very little) difference at this point between using feather DE blades vs. AC blades. In fact, AC blades shave me closer with just 2 - 3 passes but I have to do 3 - 4 with DE blades.

I believe Super Pros are a bit thicker so maybe it is worth trying regular Pro blades?

I've tried both the Professional, as well as the Super Pro blades. The Pros felt 'sharper' on the face than the Super Pros.

Still, both varieties are miles sharper than any regular straight edge I've ever experienced (and I've had razors sharpened by several 'accredited' honemasters.

Maybe you got a bum blade - that must happen sometimes.

I was never really impressed by feather blades.

I wouldn't say they were dull, just not smooth. Its almost as though they are only good for turning a face into hamburger. I do get good results with Gillette swedes and a parker shavette.

Did I get a bad batch of blades, or is it just me?

Could be a bad pack of blades, or just a single bad blade. Several of us have noted that Feathers are inconsistent like that. My first box of super pros were bad, wouldn't pop hairs nor shave worth a darn and nearly turned me off the feather completely. I had been shaving with a straight for quite awhile by that time, so it wasn't technique. I went through the entire box checking the blades and they were all bad. Fortunately I had the foresight to order a couple of boxes of blades along with the razor, so I cracked my other pack and they turned out to be fine - shaved like proper feathers. I've had the occasional bad blade since then.

Could be a bad pack of blades, or just a single bad blade. Several of us have noted that Feathers are inconsistent like that. My first box of super pros were bad, wouldn't pop hairs nor shave worth a darn and nearly turned me off the feather completely. I had been shaving with a straight for quite awhile by that time, so it wasn't technique. I went through the entire box checking the blades and they were all bad. Fortunately I had the foresight to order a couple of boxes of blades along with the razor, so I cracked my other pack and they turned out to be fine - shaved like proper feathers. I've had the occasional bad blade since then.

That's what I wanted to hear, I will order a few more packs, and both of the other grades (pro. lights, and pro.'s)

Hopefully just blades. They pass the hanging hair test SO easily, I wonder why they can't shave just as well? Oh, well. I'll try some new ones.

Thanks Guys!
Jonas

P.S. I must say, I love the Razor body itself, though. Thanks to those who recommended it, I have big and Heavy hands and the weight of the razor is just perfect.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Hmmm, I have been using the Feather AC system for some time now.
I have never got a dull one yet. I did get a couple packs about a year ago that were hard to get out of the dispenser, but that is another story.
I would take a wild guess, and say that perhaps your shaving angle is too shallow.
I have heard it said that these razors work well with the blade (holder) laying flat against your . But I have found that not to be true.
Try raising the spline so that it is about 5-10mm up from your face. Something like a 15°-20° angle. You can try this out on your arm, if you like.
I'll bet that you will get much better results by experimenting with the angle. and stroke.
I have some serious bristle growing on my face and I get a very decent shave with 1 pass and some touch up on the tough areas. I get a total BBS with three passes. I use Super Pro's and also the Pro Guards for my 0430 shaves.
Anyhow, don't toss those blades. I they "pop hairs" they will shave your face .

I have never got a dull one yet. I did get a couple packs about a year ago that were hard to get out of the dispenser, but that is another story.
I would take a wild guess, and say that perhaps your shaving angle is too shallow.
I have heard it said that these razors work well with the blade (holder) laying flat against your . But I have found that not to be true.
Try raising the spline so that it is about 5-10mm up from your face. Something like a 15°-20° angle. You can try this out on your arm, if you like.
I'll bet that you will get much better results by experimenting with the angle. and stroke.
I have some serious bristle growing on my face and I get a very decent shave with 1 pass and some touch up on the tough areas. I get a total BBS with three passes. I use Super Pro's and also the Pro Guards for my 0430 shaves.

Oh, MAN!!! I like that Teakwood!:w00t: I just have the 'Solid Brass' with the polymer scale, it's nice, but not nearly as nice as that Teakwood.

I can try a wider angle, I agree that you can't go too shallow with these razors. (Serious Burn) I'm still going to try some new blades, though. There is just something about the feel of the ones I got, don't like it. I'm going to try the regular Pros. still, I have Tough beard but I think I'm going to like the overall feel of the pros. more. We'll see.

Thanks, I like the Teak a lot too.
When you get your new blades in, try some different angles out on your arm or the back of your hand. You will get a good visual reference and feel for how diiferent angles shave.
Have fun.

He is exactly right. I was under the impression for some time that the angle was built into the Feather and after many months of bad shaves I lifted it and started to receive amazing shaving. SO to all that read this the angle is not built in. Use it like a regular straight as far as angles go, and dont forget the light super light touch.

I would strongly suggest the Feather Pro Light, I didn't like the Pro-Guard, and the Super Pro turned my face to chopped meat. This light blade gives me BBS in 2 passes, with virtually no cuts or irritation. It apears that the blade is less exposed than the Super Pro, and this has worked very well for me. It allows you to shave at a slightly steeper angle, without cutting into your skin, as the Super Pro's do. I now enjoy using the Feather AC, without fear of running out of styptic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom