What's new

Russiain made Gillette Blades?

Last week I ran out of the old Wilkinson DE Blades I had purchased years back, so I went to the drugstore and bought the only blades they had, which were Gillette Super Stainless - Super Inoxyble blades. Getting home I started looking at the package and noticed that they were made in Russia. I really don't care where my blades come from, but am curious as to when Gillette blades started coming from Russia.
TIA, Ken.

When Gillette decided they would rather sell the extremely overpriced cartridge blade for 10,000X more profit.

Do yourself a favor and order 100 Derby Extra's for $14. It's a fantastic blade.

I actually just threw away my last old Gillette razor package, with one more blade inside, but those blades said "made in USA" on them. I guess I've had them about 7 years or more (from the last time I bought a bunch of them at the store).

When Gillette decided they would rather sell the extremely overpriced cartridge blade for 10,000X more profit.

Do yourself a favor and order 100 Derby Extra's for $14. It's a fantastic blade.

I actually just threw away my last old Gillette razor package, with one more blade inside, but those blades said "made in USA" on them. I guess I've had them about 7 years or more (from the last time I bought a bunch of them at the store).

Well, yes, I have already ordered Derby Extras in hopes they are as good as everyone says; I was simply curious as to the circumstances of Gillette going out of country (for insance; was there an existing Russian facility?).
Thanks for your replies, Ken.
Who is still mildly curious.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Anyone remember the Lada?? :bored:

Found the 'smile' that I had wanted to use for the Lada. :9898:

I've wanted to use it for some time now, and am glad that I finally got the chance! Now, maybe I should start a Star Wars thread ... :a45:

I saw those Russian Gillettes in an Eckerd's the other day. They wanted $9.95 for 10!

I ended up paying $7.99 for 10 blades that aren't all that sharp.:frown: The only other choice I had was to use one of my straight razors which isn't sharp. I'll tell you from experiance that a dull razor isn't an option.:wink:
Ken.
Who just had some Derby Extras arrive in the mail. I'll try them in the morning....

I found some at Statser Bros. for 7.99. I used one and in my limited experience thought it was okay for two shaves.:thumbdown

Apparently the Russians have about the largest and most advanced steel companys in the world. My dad has worked at a steel mill here in the USA for about 40 years and this year the plant he works at in Oregon was bought by the Russians. I wonder if they have enough of a lock on steel they can sway companies like Gillette to make moves like this.

Apparently the Russians have about the largest and most advanced steel companys in the world. My dad has worked at a steel mill here in the USA for about 40 years and this year the plant he works at in Oregon was bought by the Russians. I wonder if they have enough of a lock on steel they can sway companies like Gillette to make moves like this.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I'm sure it was simple economics that swayed Gillette. It's probably much cheaper to manufacture their blades in Russia. Despite the fact that they are no good (YMMV), they probably don't care too much because their "bread and butter" is the cartridge. Going further, of those who do use DE blades, how many of us use Gillette brand blades? Of course this poses the question, "How many of us would use Gillette blades if they were better?" The cartridge, however, (despite our efforts) is where the money is at and where Gillette's focus is.

Back when I was DE shaving the first time ('60s-mid'70s) I never even considered shaving with anything except Gillette. I guess times have changed. :sad:

-- John Gehman

It's probably just that the Russians still had a factory making razor blades.
This is certainly what happened with vacuum tubes, except that the Russian tubes are actually pretty good.

Top Bottom