What's new

Best double edge safety razor set?

I'm not going to be the only one to tell you this, but the best set is the one you build yourself.
read the reviews, ask questions, check the posts regularly.
Check the BST forum for some good deals.

I believe you can get great quality by purchasing the following.

(1) Classic Shaving, $24.00 chrome plated brush and razor stand.
(2)A Rooney shaving brush: 3/1 (small - $65.00)) or a 3/2 (medium - $75.00)
(3) A merkur 34C ($42.00)
(4) If you want a bowl with the set, them the nickel plated shave bowl or one of the pewter bowls.

This set up will last you for years.

Total: $131.00 or add the bowl.

Last edited:
I'm not going to be the only one to tell you this, but the best set is the one you build yourself.

+1

Most of the sets are put together to maximize profits for the vendor, and usually include one, or more components you probably wouldn't choose if building the kit yourself.

One of the most high cost items in sets like these is a fancy looking, but rather useless bowl. These vessels tend to be way too small to build lather in, and thus you end up with a $40 bowl for holding a soap puck.

I personally would much rather buy a $2 bowl, and spend the $38 on more important stuff: soap, and creams which actually have an impact on the quality of your shave; a fancy bowl has no impact on the quality of your shave. :lol::lol:

Depending on the vendor in question, the included brush is often of mediocre quality as well.

+2 I'd hold off and do a bit more research. I think you'll find that you can get better value and performance by buying seperate quality pieces. About ten years ago I bought a set that was pretty pricey and based on what I know now, was clearly an assortment of junk. The components of the set in question are no longer in my shave den and I've since had much cheaper items outperform them by leaps and bounds. I know they look good. That's the appeal. But, don't expect that you are really getting quality or even something that will work for you.

BTW - the vendor you are looking at is reputable. That being said I just looked at the link and didn't see one set I would spend the coin on.

Last edited:
Depends on what you define as "best."

Rossini sells a Platinum shaving set for close to $200 that includes a platinum razor that uses the Gillette Mach3 shaving head. It would be pretty impressive looking, but not necessarily be the best as far as a good shaving setup goes.

You could also go with a Van Der Hagen (VDH) shaving kit, which includes a pretty good Boar brush, a rather nice shaving bowl, and shaving soap which is considered to be on a par, or better than some of the more expensive shaving soaps. Add to that a nice vintage Gillette razor, say a Slim Adjustable from ebay, along with some Shark brand DE blades, and an inexpensive stand, and you'd have a setup that, while not really impressive looking, would still be a very decent shaving setup, all for the princely sum of around $55, give or take.

Vintage Gillette razors are really a good way to go as they are quality instruments that will probably still be good shavers 100 years from now! You can find them on ebay, or here on the B/S/T forum. Shaving mug? Got a coffee mug you're not using? Shaving brush? Amazon sells a Tweezerman Boar bristle brush for less than $15. Others here can tell you if they recommend a better brush, and why. Shaving soap? VDH soap is pretty damned good, is available at Walmart and many drugstores, and is pretty inexpensive. Shaving stand? Amazon has several that look nice. Blades? Definitely start with a sampler pack, so that you can find the blade that suits your particular skin and beard type. Search around B&B for suggestions as to what's available, and what others have bought.

A good shave setup, like "beauty," is always in the eye of the beholder. As we always say here at B&B, YMMV!

Welcome to B&B! :biggrin1:

Last edited:
+2 I'd hold off and do a bit more research. I think you'll find that you can get better value and performance by buying seperate quality pieces. About ten years ago I bought a set that was pretty pricey and based on what I know now, was clearly an assortment of junk. The components of the set in question are no longer in my shave den and I've since had much cheaper items outperform them by leaps and bounds. I know they look good. That's the appeal. But, don't expect that you are really getting quality or even something that will work for you.

BTW - the vendor you are looking at is reputable. That being said I just looked at the link and didn't see one set I would spend the coin on.

True I guess buying it separately would be cheaper and if I do the research right I could get better quality ones as-well :) but the problem is where do I start my research to look for the best double edge safety razer alone.

I agree on what other posters told yo; make your own set! You will not only save money but also get you 'better' stuff. Spend some time at the review section and make a choice. For the money asked for the average set you can get yourself two good razors and brushes !

Last edited:
True I guess buying it separately would be cheaper and if I do the research right I could get better quality ones as-well :) but the problem is where do I start my research to look for the best double edge safety razer alone.

Just poke around the newbie forum or the safety razor forum. Also, you could look at the reviews secition from the banner above. The review ssection has a whole section on razors. Good newbie razors include the Merkur HD 34c (functional razor for about $30-35), Edwin Jagger 89l (beautiful and functional razor for about $35), Gillete Superspeed (can usually be had for about $20 in very good condistion on the BST), Gillette Tech or even a Weishi. There are tons of post on these razors. Click the search button above and type them in and decide for yourself.

Good luck and welcome.

Hit up antique stores and buy some safety razors for like $5 ea. (unless visibly broken of course)
Take 'em home and clean them up.
You should find one you like :biggrin1:.
Just because it is old, doesn't mean it is bad.

Please forgive me for saying, as I don't mean to offend, but... your avatar is rather creepy! :huh:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0by4cPvbo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I'd say if you are just starting out.. Go to the BST and find a nice used Gilette razor, the best part is you can grab a few different ones to see which one you like the best for the same amount of cash.
Then get a blade sample pack.
Read reviews and grab yoruself some soap/cream and whatever else you think you need (alum block / styptic /)
I've done well with the VDH kit that wally world sells, it's cheap and fairly easy to face lather / bowl lather for noobies.

I just got into this a week ago. I visited a couple of antique shops and also the local flea market to acquire a decent collection at a VERY affordable price.

So far I have a

1962 Gillette slim adjustable - $3
1930s Gillette Tech - $2
1966 Gillette black handle super speed -$2
1924 Ever Ready single edge - $2

I found an antique boar brush/shave mug combo for $3. The knot on the brush is in very good condition and it is a much better brush than the VDH drug store one I bought and quickly returned.

I also picked up some VDH soap for about $2 and a small tube of proraso for $5

I found some GEM single edge blades for $5 and some personna DE blades for $2

In less than a week I have four respectable razors, a legit brush/mug, two types of blades, and a good soap + cream. All of this for a measly 26 bucks.

This makes me want to kick the guys (from another forum) who suggested I start with a $40 Merkur HD, $60 brush, and expensive Trumpers cream in the nuts!!!

Last edited:
Another option, is to keep watch on the B/S/T for a complete newbie kit. Members often off load nice quality extra items at a discount to get newbies started in this adventure.

Some of these are available for as little as $20-30 shipped; they will usually include a sampling of blades, a entry level soap, an entry level razor, and a wonderful quality vintage Gillette Superspeed, or Gillette Tech (two of the best quality razors for a new wet shaver to pursue).

Here's one I was selling recently as an example of what you might find:

proxy.php

P.S. I was in a giving spirit that day, so this one is probably more high end than others. :biggrin1:

Yep... to reiterate what others are saying... BYO (Build Your Own) set.
Generic plastic brush stand ~$8
Good quality DE Razor $15 to $85 (quite the range YMMV)
Good quality badger brush $30 to $90 and beyond, again YMMV
Decent bowl <$8

For the price of a predefined 'set' you can mix and match to fit your needs. The only reason I can see getting a 'set' is purely aesthetics. You'll be making fashion statement well enough with your BBS shaves. :biggrin1:

To create the BEST set for you, it may take years and trying different razors, blades, ect. But you can put together one yourself that will be great for now with either a merkur or EJ razor and a brush. If you have the funds go with a badger, but a boar is a more affordable option and IMHO is great and is what I use.

Another option, is to keep watch on the B/S/T for a complete newbie kit. Members often off load nice quality extra items at a discount to get newbies started in this adventure.

Some of these are available for as little as $20-30 shipped; they will usually include a sampling of blades, a entry level soap, an entry level razor, and a wonderful quality vintage Gillette Superspeed, or Gillette Tech (two of the best quality razors for a new wet shaver to pursue).

I'm putting together one right now.
It will be available early next week.
(shameless plug for my sale, I know)
In all truth, I purchased a kit to get some exposure to different products.
I would suggest it to anyone, newbie or not.

I am planning on buying a double edge safety razor set (with badger brush, stand, bowl) and was wondering what one is the best one?
Best is always subjective. It doesn't matter what the topic is, whether it's DE's, cars, smartphones -- you name it. With wet shaving best is even more subjective than it is with other topics. Best it whatever works best for you. People can suggest a typical starter set but, as already mentioned in this thread, you'll need to figure out what's best for you. People can give more meaningful recommendations if you can better describe the hair on your face, skin type, etc.

Most of the sets are put together to maximize profits for the vendor, and usually include one, or more components you probably wouldn't choose if building the kit yourself.
Definitely true. It sounds like the OP needs to do some more reading and then put together a kit of selected items. I don't think I used less than 3 vendors to get all my starter stuff. If convenience it what matters above all else, a vendor-selected kit may be a good choice. Again, best is highly subjective.

but the problem is where do I start my research to look for the best double edge safety razer alone.
Um, here. There are reviews and a DE razor forum. Use them! :wink2:

Forum sites are overlooked all the time for some reason...

Last edited:
Yep... to reiterate what others are saying... BYO (Build Your Own) set.
Generic plastic brush stand ~$8
Good quality DE Razor $15 to $85 (quite the range YMMV)
Good quality badger brush $30 to $90 and beyond, again YMMV
Decent bowl <$8

For the price of a predefined 'set' you can mix and match to fit your needs. The only reason I can see getting a 'set' is purely aesthetics. You'll be making fashion statement well enough with your BBS shaves. :biggrin1:

Just get rid of the brush stand and save 8 bucks right there.

Brush stands aren't necessary. The brush dries just fine standing up.

Top Bottom