What's new

What was your first shave rig/routine when you started (I mean first!!)

I started shaving at 13 I think.

hot shower
GIllette Sensor special edition blue (for '94 world cup?)
gillette foamy regular or lemon-lime
cold rinse
aqua velva blue

:clap: :badger: :thumbup:

I've come a long way:badger:

I think it was a Gillette Sensor with whatever goop in a can was cheap that week... as that was 20+ years ago I could be wrong also.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think I used to shave before a shower. Crazy kid :001_rolle

Gillette Trac II
Then my brother gave me a monogrammed sterling silver Atra handle as a gift
Can of Gillette Foamy (goo)

This was about 25 years ago.

I started shaving at around age 18 as a freshman in college. The year would have been 1969. All I can remember is a Gillette Trac II and, probably, Noxema shave cream in a can. It could have been some other brand of canned foam, though. That was a long time ago!

Tim

First Shave Ever:
Gillette Sensor
Gillette Foamy
Brut A/S Splash

First DE Shave:
Merkur Classic 1904 Open Comb
Tweezerman Badger Brush
Alabu - goat's milk shave soap
Nivea for Men ASB

Atra
Edge Gel in Orange can for shave cream
Edge Gel aftershave
skin lotion

Miserable shaving for a few years before switching to a Norelco electric.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I started shaving at around age 18 as a freshman in college. The year would have been 1969. All I can remember is a Gillette Trac II and, probably, Noxema shave cream in a can. It could have been some other brand of canned foam, though. That was a long time ago!

Tim

So similar ... I started in highschool (say about 1984/5) with the Trac II as well. I think my foam was Gilette Foamy Regular (I remember a red aerosol can). This was the same set-up as my Dad, although I can remember him years earlier shaving with a DE and the Foamy. No pre-shave before mushing on the foamy, and no post-shave other than wiping off the bits of foam left over.

Many years ago, when I was 12/13 my father taught me. I used a gold colored DE, heavy white mug with blue stripe, brush with cream handle.
The beard is seasonal, the mustache forever.

Ist shave ever at 15 with my dad's DE Gillette...:frown:
2nd shave at 15 1/2...a white bic disposable...:sad:
after 16...dual edged disposables...:001_unsur
In my...ahem 40's...DE Gillette...:biggrin1:

moral: What goes around, comes around.

Couldn't really say as it was about 22 years ago. It probably involved some sort of Gillette cartridge razor, though.

First shave ever ... let's see if I remember all of it.

Gillette Trac II - (I got one of the -erp- "new" Atra Plus razors as a b'day present shortly thereafter)
Can of Noxema Medicated shave cream (basically a menthol shave cream, but it felt good on my broken-out face)
Old Spice after-shave

Ouch.

Yep.

Gillette Sensor
Gillette cream/foam I think (and then whatever my mom bought at the grocery)
Afta a/s (I remember this was the thing that changed the most, I always wanted to try different aftershaves - thinking those were the key to painless shaves.....)

My first shaves involved a Braun electric that I got for christmas. After that it was dry shaving with a disposable. Then I added water and canned foam. That was it for 10 years, and now I am onto the good stuff for life.

Spring of '64 or perhaps just a bit earlier. This predates Goo and Disposables and cartidges.

Schick injector
Rise foam (remember that?)
No aftershave or cologne

--John Gehman

First shave ever was with Dad's DE (a black handled Super adjustable) and a can of goo (probably Colgate), and splash of Old Spice. My first actual rig, shortly after that (maybe about two weeks), and for a long time thereafter:

Gillette Atra
Old Spice Mug & Soap
El Cheapo boar brush (Surrey, I think)
Old Spice aftershave

At 15, I scoped all of the shaving gear in the bathroom. My Pa had a couple Gillette TTO's and some Bic disposables, a mug with Williams soap, a seriously worn-out badger brush that looked like a puppy's tail, Mennen Skin Bracer, and lime Old Spice. He had just started using the Bics. He would toss them after one shave. There also were some DE blades in the cabinet.
The ancient badger brush did not appeal to me, so I used a can of something that was probably left in there by my sister, who was shaving her legs by then. I remember using one of the Gillettes and also a Bic. Even then, I saw the value of trying different products! :biggrin:

Top Bottom